Fuel starvation?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM
jssparkyjr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel starvation?????

Ok. 79 f150 4x4 460 .60 over. Stock fuel pump. Edelbrock 600 cfm. Problem is..... It starts and runs fine. But if you shut it down and start up a few minutes later, it acts like it's not getting enough fuel if you get on it a bit. Also maybe separate problem, after sitting for a few days, all the fuel goes back to tank and it takes a bit to build pressure back up. Help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
cbakker
Laughing Gas
Someone else will provide better input, as I don't know a whole lot about those carbs, but here is my initial response.

The carb should be big enough to handle that motor. Were you running this carb before the rebuild?

I would try adjusting your slow speeds and see if it improves, and as for the fuel running back out, maybe the seats? Maybe a bad gasket?

Can you smell gas after you shut it off, or does it just leak back through the line, or into the intake?

Again, I hope someone else can provide some advice as well.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
jssparkyjr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cbakker
Someone else will provide better input, as I don't know a whole lot about those carbs, but here is my initial response.

The carb should be big enough to handle that motor. Were you running this carb before the rebuild?

I would try adjusting your slow speeds and see if it improves, and as for the fuel running back out, maybe the seats? Maybe a bad gasket?

Can you smell gas after you shut it off, or does it just leak back through the line, or into the intake?

Again, I hope someone else can provide some advice as well.
Same carb before rebuild. Honestly I have smelled gas before after shutting it off. Haven't seen anything leaking though. Also to me it appears the gas is going back to the tank. I have a clear filter close to carb and have noticed it is empty after setting awhile. I have a company vehicle so it's not my dd. thinking about getting an electric pump. I'm sure that would solve at least one problem.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Here is what happens: Fuel in bowl gets hot and vaporizes. Fuel also evaporates so that is why the need for all the cranking. If there is no spacer, add a carb spacer, phenolic is best but anything would help, also, get a lower temp thermostat. also, get an aluminum intake if budget allows. With all of this nice gasoline we buy today, that turns into vapor before our engine has a chance to burn it, thus creating the vapors. This is because of hydrocarbon in the fuel, or lack there of, and allowing for a vapor to boil out of the carb. Also, edelbrocks with their integrated float bowl design are notorious for this so a holley will actually help due to the float bowls being exposed on the ends and bigger, more area for air to cool the fuel.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
jssparkyjr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F-250 WARHORSE
Here is what happens: Fuel in bowl gets hot and vaporizes. Fuel also evaporates so that is why the need for all the cranking. If there is no spacer, add a carb spacer, phenolic is best but anything would help, also, get a lower temp thermostat. also, get an aluminum intake if budget allows. With all of this nice gasoline we buy today, that turns into vapor before our engine has a chance to burn it, thus creating the vapors. This is because of hydrocarbon in the fuel, or lack there of, and allowing for a vapor to boil out of the carb. Also, edelbrocks with their integrated float bowl design are notorious for this so a holley will actually help due to the float bowls being exposed on the ends and bigger, more area for air to cool the fuel.
You sir are brilliant. I think that may be it. I never had this problem till I changed my intake due to stripped water neck problems. I have a weiand stealth now I had initial problems after install. So I rebuilt carb and didn't put spacer back on. I was worried about clearance issues. I had to put a smaller breather on it due to clearance. I am looking into a Holley for it. But will definitely check if I can get my spacer back on. It's not my dd but damnit I want the thing to go. Thank you all for your help. Will repost when I put spacer back on.

Last edited by jssparkyjr; 04-29-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling