Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
New User

Brian75137 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile 7.5L engine with PaXton supercharger

Does anyone know if someone has melded a Paxton Supercharger to a 7.5L engine and then run it on propane. This is what I want to do for a '97 F250 supercab longbed truck.

I have reworked the engine as follows: (1) bored out 0.060 oversize, (2) flat top pistons, (3) Lunati cam, (4) gear drive for the cam, (5) 4-bbl intake manifold. (6) rear sump oil pan, (7) roller tipped rocker arms and (8) Ford cast aluminum valve covers.

I had converted this engine using an IMPCO mixer and a VFF30 lockout. The engine was used in a '78 Lincoln TownCar and I was reallly happy with it's performance. I opened up the engine at 229K miles and there was NO gunk under the valley pan.

Now I want to put this reworked engine into a '97 F250 (the last year that Ford put a 7.5L engine into anything) and add a Paxton supercharger.

I know from previous reading elsewhere that you blow propane through the mixer rather than suck through it so I plan to use a Paxton for this. I'll probably have to create my own plumbing for the air from the Paxton to the Impco mixer. Propane is about 110 octane, so I shouldn't have a problem with the increased compression (original engine had dished pistons)

From reading on this site, I see that an MDS ignition unit is highly recommended and I know that I'll have to use special spark plugs (probably platinum tipped).

I also plan to use some sort of free flowing cat converters and 3 inch exhaust pipes which will be set up an exhaust stacks (mounted vertically through the front of the truck bed). The propane tank (30 inch diameter) will also be mounted at the front of the bed between the exhaust stacks, thus centering the additional weight of the tank. I hope get about 400+ HP out of this setup.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever done this, and to get any other helpful information. I need lots of comments.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)