Difficult diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
iamlance
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difficult diagnosis!

Hi Guys! ,
I have an auto repair shop in Bridgeport Ct and this forum has been very helpful on many jobs.
I currently have a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 3 valve engine. The truck was towed in as a no start. We charged the battery and the engine would not turn over. The starter was cooked. We replaced the starter and it cranked fine but would not start. I got more details from the customer and found out that the truck had been running poorly and stalling for some time. He was driving it, it stalled and would not restart. He cooked the starter and drained the battery trying to start it.
We checked fuel pressure and spark, both OK. No codes (battery was drained).
We disconnected the exhaust at the manifolds and got it started, running on only a few cylinders, sounding like it was severely flooded.
I checked the oil, it was down 6 qts: rolleyes:. Filled it with oil, no change. Pulled a few plugs, soaked with gas, one was missing bottom loop of the plug.
Replaced 7 of the plugs, of course several broke so extricated the remains.
Still running on only a few cylinders, however code 345 set. Cleared it, resets quickly. Disconnected left cam sensor, no change.
We scoped cam sensor signals and found them 3ms apart from each other. We pulled the left valve cover off and found the phaser is fubar but I have not read anything about phasers causing this bad of a running issue.
I would like to check the valve timing as easily (and cheaply) as possible as my customer is going thru very hard times.
My thought is with the low oil level, the tensioner collapsed and allowed the chain to jump.
With both cam sensors out, I can rotate the engine until I can see the "R" on the right phaser thru the cam sensor hole and the "L" on the left thru the cam sensor hole. Does this in any way confirm that the valve timing is good??
Thanks for any help, suggestions!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM
jesse5
Senior User
Remove the LF cam cap and run your fingernail across the journal and cap and if it catches it needs an engine cause it was run without oil.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 PM
carguy94
Senior User
Have you ran a compression test as of now if the engine will not start that should give you an issue. not to get stupid did you route the coils in the right order should be fairly hard to do beings these are coils. take all of the spark plugs out and crank the engine it should turn fast and free. these type engines are tough but not when ran without oil they wont take that at all. which cylinders are the misfires on. what type of scan tool are you using and do you have inductive amp clamps. and have you been poking around at the cam sensor at all. or instead of compression do a leak down and see if that yields any results.also what makes you think you have no spark issues