Sponsored by:

Intercooler charge pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intercooler charge pipes

So as I noted on the "what did you do to your Ex today" thread, I had a small issue with one of the charge pipe couplers yesterday...

Originally Posted by USCG_PA
However, while the trip was nice, the Ex had a minor issue. The whole two and a half hour trip there, the Ex was *******, just not responding the way she should. Once I got there, I started poking around and found that the charge pipe coupler coming out of the turbo had ripped

It being a Sunday, and Easter Sunday at that, there was no way to get a new one, so we trimmed off the tare, and reclamped everything down. We got home without incident. However, that tare doubled my fuel consumption for that leg of the trip.

Now I get to see if I can hunt down a new coupler today. Lucky me...
So the local Ford Steelership has the part for just over $90!

Once I picked myself up off the floor, I started doing some online searches. I can get whole charge pipe kits for about $350, including a replacement for the $90 coupler.

So here is my question, has anyone done the full switch out? If so, what brand did you got with, and do you like it?

Here are the three "best" kits I have found, please let me know your thoughts.

cxracing.com: Intercooler Charge Piping kit 03-07 Ford Super Duty 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel V8

Sinister Intercooler Charge Pipe Kit | Ford Powerstroke 6.0L | 2003-2007

Mishimoto MMICP-F2D-03BK Intercooler Pipe & Boot Kit

They all look like they will do the trick, just not sure about the quality of each, and just because it is a pretty blue, does not mean I will go that way, or that it is any better I am honestly leaning towards the first kit that I posted, but I could go with any of them. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
I didn't change out my whole kit. I ordered just the hot side boots from RiffRaff. I believe they are in Medford, shipping is pretty quick when I order from them.

CAC Intercooler "Hot Side" Boot Kit 03-07 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
I didn't change out my whole kit. I ordered just the hot side boots from RiffRaff. I believe they are in Medford, shipping is pretty quick when I order from them.

CAC Intercooler "Hot Side" Boot Kit 03-07 - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Thanks for the link! Now I need to decide if I want to do the whole kit, or just the boots...

Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So after reading reviews, and looking things over, I decided to go with the Mishimoto brand pipes. Nothing against Sinister, I just did not want the blue. The blue of their coolant filter kit is more than enough "bling" under my hood.

I will post picks when I get the kit and get it installed.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM
fastang50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why you want to turn a $90 repair into a $350 repair. I'd go with Mr. Nobodys solution. But, it's your cash, use it as you see fit!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fastang50
I don't know why you want to turn a $90 repair into a $350 repair. I'd go with Mr. Nobodys solution. But, it's your cash, use it as you see fit!
You have a point, but I figured that with one of four boots having given up the ghost, I might as well replace them all. After doing some research into the boots, clamps and pipes, these kits are not all that bad of a deal.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
The mishimoto set up is pretty sweet. They are bigger? And maybe straighter? Probably won't see too much change, but every little bit helps, right? I saw those put on a truck on a TV show on CMT, but they also did the intercooler and a banks 6gun.

Do you have a metal cold side pipe? And if so, do you want to get rid of it?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
The mishimoto set up is pretty sweet. They are bigger? And maybe straighter? Probably won't see too much change, but every little bit helps, right? I saw those put on a truck on a TV show on CMT, but they also did the intercooler and a banks 6gun.

Do you have a metal cold side pipe? And if so, do you want to get rid of it?
I don't know if I have a metal pipe on that side, i have not looked. If I do, then it is all yours if you want it.

Edit, I do have the metal pipe, as shown here. PM me, and when I get them removed, we will see about getting it to you.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can just buy the riffraff diesel kit for like $150 or something that includes all 4 new boots. Dont really see the need to change all the pipes unless you like to waste money then go for it

Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acf6
You can just buy the riffraff diesel kit for like $150 or something that includes all 4 new boots. Dont really see the need to change all the pipes unless you like to waste money then go for it
I don't see it as a my liking to "waste money" as you put it. I am getting all new boots, clamps and better pipes. So in my book, I come out ahead. I would rather do it all in one swoop, than piece it together over time. That might be my two cents, but it is also my money.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

very true, im just curious how the pipes are better. yours being an 03 should have metal pipes on both the hot and cold sides...so all you need is boots and clamps. i run the riffraff boots and stock pipes. i guess new ones are shiny

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by acf6
very true, im just curious how the pipes are better. yours being an 03 should have metal pipes on both the hot and cold sides...so all you need is boots and clamps. i run the riffraff boots and stock pipes. i guess new ones are shiny
They are shiny, as for better, who really knows, until I have them sitting next to each other.

I am just the type that if I am going to do something, then I do it all.

Recently I put Mag Hytec Diff covers on, not because I needed them, but I was having the diffs inspected and the fluids changed, so i figured that was the time to take care of getting the upgrade.

Sure the old ones were fine, honestly I still have them and they are in working order, but with me being me, I sprang for the upgrade and had it done. One less thing I need to worry about.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Oh trust me i'm the same way, if i do an upgrade, or repair, its either motorcraft parts or something aftermarket of superior quality. I just know when there's a point where i don't need to spend extra money and stock works, but it's up to you. like you said, your money

Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Upgraditis! It is contagious and we all suffer from it. Show us pics when you get your new stuff!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
You guys have seen his bumper, right? I can't believe there is any question as to why he would get the upgraded pipes! . LOVE, it's called LOVE

Quick Reply: Intercooler charge pipes