See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

89 7.3 IDI Water Pump Replacement

Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leverage is your friend, as is a couple of whacks on the handle with a deadblow hammer.

Work smarter, not harder.

Mike

Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Etone
Senior User
Originally Posted by Etone
I had someone help me while I held the tool on the pulley with both hands. the other guy tapped the end of the wrench on the fan clutch with a 4 lb hammer till it broke free. I also found its nice to have someone hold the waterpump while you guide everything into place and get the bolts started. .
I forgot to mention that you should attach a breaker bar with a 1/2 in drive to the forked lookin thing

Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Etone... thanks i tried all that sorry wasnt tryin to sound like i didnt even read your post.

Me and my buddy tried all day to try and get this thing off. I thought i got it a couple times but it was just the wrench slipping off the bolts. The wrench that goes on the nut is perfect. The fork like wrench that goes on the bolts is garbage. It doesnt fit snuggly around the bolts so 97% of the tine when you finally get the right leverage it flies off and my knuckles/elbows are destroyed.

We have put some serious torque on this thing and it will not give. My buddy went home and i had to call it a night before i went crazy. My last idea is to put some heat to it? Would this be bad? Im sure its loktited so i assume thats the best bet? I have whacked, yanked, torqued and eveything to get this off and its droving me nuts.

Akamacgyver...
Does this work with a V belt?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
That has been asked before, and I am not sure, but it should. It is the same pump with the same clutch, just a different pulley. It is worth a try. Worst case scenario, you break your bad water pump, and the fan clutch comes off that way. There is always the option of cutting the pump shaft with a grinder or sawzall. then you could put it in a bench vise and get some leverage.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Etone
Senior User
hey I feel for you buddy. i went through the same thing and only weigh 150 soaking wet myself. I had to come back to it a couple times before I got it. I would suggest turning the pulley and trying the tool from each angle on those 4 nuts till you find the way that feels tightest. Hold it flat on there with one hand and hold the breaker bar with the otherhand. Then have your helper hit the wrench in sharp distinct blows ( in the clockwise direction) while holding the wrench firm on the nut. I used a 4lb sledge. I always like to say "when in doubt, get a bigger hammer"

Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
So i have some updates. After another day of trying with my buddy it still wouldnt come off. I have literally tried everything on the forums. I put a ratchet strap on the pulley, whacked the hell out of the nut wrench, put the belts BACK on and tried the same. I heated it up with a torch, eveything. I even called my brother who is about 230lbs to help me torque it cuz i thought i just might not be strong enough but it still wouldnt budge. So basically i decided i was gonna cut the damn impellar shaft off and put it in a vice. Well i havent cut it but i just took the whole damn water pump off with the fan/clutch still attached. Now what im think is maybe i go to someone with a shop and air tools to get them seperated

Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Just to be 1000% sure...

Left hand threads-
clockwise/right= loosen
Counter/left= tighten

Right?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
That is correct. Clockwise is off. Were you not able to try the wrench trick on the v-belt system? I have only done it on the serp. belts.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
When I did this I built a tool. Out of a lawnmower blade of all things, but it was strong flat stock. I cut a notch toward the end and drilled a hole. I pulled a fan bolt out of the clutch and bolted the tool to the clutch, it wasn't going anywhere. That freed me up to wrench on the clutch to pump nut.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Looked something like this:

Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Akamacgyver..

I did try your way but it wouldnt work with the V belt pulley. I had no room behind the pulley to stick a wrench.

Im kinda stuck now as i pulled the whole water pump with the fan still attached. Any suggestions to get this thing off?

Im thinking about cutting the shaft off and just pulling off the fan/clutch and put that in a bench vice to get the nut off. This thing has given me more problems than any other fix ive done on any of my several vehicles. I love this truck but i might be looking towards an electric fan down the line. Also does anyone know if its possible to get another fan clutch nut by itself? Or should i ask my buddy if his machine shop can make me left hand cut 1 7/8" nut?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Or would a hardware store have that? Mine is pretty marred from that wrench being loose. I even wrapped it in duct tape and it still just spun off

Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Etone
Senior User
It seems to me that the nut is part of the whole deal. if you can't break it free from the waterpump you're probably gonna need a new fan clutch. Not the end of the world. I put one on my 86 when the old one went bad. hang in there, all you have to do now is get your parts and put it back together.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:32 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Yeah if it was up to me i would defintely rather just buy a new fan and clutch and put it on the new water pump but i cant really afford it right now. Its just incredibly frustrating because this is such an easy job made WAY too difficult by one little step in the process. I knew it would be hard to get off but this is just ridiculous. Im gonna try and find a machine shop around me that i can take it to and let them try and get it off. When i have some extra money an electric fan is definitely in this trucks future

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 7.3 IDI Water Pump Replacement