Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Senior User

John R. Thomas is starting off with a positive reputation.
NA NA NA NA NA NA
What PN gas lift gate struts?

Ref. 70s Ford cap with original sliding lift gate struts: I am replacing my
fiberglass lift gate that is broke in 3 places with a identical lift gate.
I intend on replacing the sliding struts with gas struts. Length: Max 14", Min 7.5". The total weight is 40 lb.
What brand, part number and store/web sight is suggested?

Since writing this request, 29 Ford truck owners have read it and no one has done the research.
I emailed a manufacture the same question. No reply either.

Last edited by John R. Thomas; 04-21-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 AM
Senior User

-mywheels- is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would take one of the sliding liftgate props with you to a "good" auto parts store. They can measure the length of extension and retraction and suggest what would work best. I am staying all original with my canopy/camper. Jeffs bronco graveyard sells the sliding liftgate prop in their bronco section. 77 and earlier Bronco and canopy props are the same.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Senior User

NA NA NA NA NA NA
There's a reason for the swap to the gas cylinders (struts). I left my lift gate open as I often did
with my 59 Ford wagon. Crossing railroad tracks, the lift gate jumped and came down
on one side. The fiberglass frame broke in 3 places. I bought a complete Ford cap that
sat in the grass for years. The lock and latches were rusted solid. The screws had to be
drilled out. Gas struts of the proper strength should keep it open and not mess up when
I want to close it. (locked up on one side then the other etc)

I have emailed STRONG ARM GAS LIFT SUPPORT twice with the info for a quote. ( total wt. 40lb. Max 14" Min 7") No reply yet.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Senior User

NA NA NA NA NA NA
Today I visited my local Advance Auto Parts store and their catalog for Strong Arm.
If the min. length is 7" the max. is only 10" Therefore, the lift gate hits me in the face.
Oh Well. Perhaps that's why no one has installed gas struts on their Ford cap lift gate.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners