Sponsored by: Moser

1978 F250 Supercab Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 F250 Supercab Restoration

I'm finally starting the restoration of my supercab. If you don't want to read a bit about my history with the truck scroll through the next paragraph.

The truck originally came from New York. The dealer is actually still open last I checked. I bought the truck two years ago to be my winter vehicle knowing it would be a fixer upper to be a reliable winter vehicle. On my way home from Brainerd, mn (60 mile drive north) I noticed I had no oil pressure so I pulled over at the next gas station to check it out, turned out there was no oil so I filled it up and kept going. I ended up burning 7 quarts of oil on that trip home so the truck sat for a few months while I worked on it, turned out the dip stick that goes through the water pump wasn't there. I didn't know at the time that's where they went on 460's since there was one coming out of the pan, after that everything went out on it within 100 miles of buying it. I had to replace the battery, started, voltage regulator, alternator, starting solenoid, oil pressure sensor, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, temp sensor, spark plugs, various gaskets, power steering lines and so on. As I dug into it I kept finding things that the previous owners had just hacked into the truck and after spending the summer driving it and something new happened I parked it for a while and collected parts as I could afford it. Last fall I decided why not do a restoration since I've already put a good amount of money into it so I bought patch panels and various other parts to get going this summer and that basically brings it up to date as of now.

Details on the truck:
- 1978 F250 Custom 4x4 Supercab
- 1976 460 big block
- C6 trans with np205 t-case
- Factory AC/Cruise (waiting on a Marti report to confirm the cruise)
- Factory dual tanks
- Currently some very bald 33x12.5 mudders
- Dana 60 rear, can't find numbers on the front but the vin plate says "Ford w/ Power Steering" I'm guessing it's a 44HD
- 3.55 gears

So far I can't start cutting and welding until mid May and progress will probably be slow through the summer but I'll keep things updated as I move along. I mostly wanted to start this now while I'm collecting parts so I can post questions when they come up.

The goal for the summer is to get the body work done, painted and driving then next year get the engine/trans done and possibly the axles if I can get to it.

Restoration plan:
- Build 460 and fuel inject it. I'm looking at the MSD Atomic kit at the moment.
- Rebuild the c6 and add a gear vendors unit
- 4.10 gears
- 33x10.5 wheels and tires
- Air bags on rear axle
- ARB locking differential
- I'm still debating the color scheme. I'm leaving the tu-tone but I can't decide if I want to keep it yellow/brown or go something different.
- Interior will keep the stock rear seat but lift it up some and I have buckets out of a 95 F150 already in there so I'll just have them recovered and make a better mount for them. I plan on shaving the ashtray and adding a set of Ford's newer upfitter switches in its place to control the air compressor for the air bags and the locking dif.

This will be a daily driver year round when I'm done which is why I'm going to FI, don't get me wrong I love carbs I just want to be able to get in and go and not worry about altitude/temp changes (not that altitudes change much in MN). I know it will cost a lot but I'm ok with that. I was planning on buying a brand new 2014 F150 this spring but after driving a few and talking prices I told the dealer I'm not interested. The new ones just don't feel solid or like a truck to me. They ride smooth but that's all that impresses me plus with their price tag I can build up my 78 to a "new used" state and get the benefit of saying I built it.

Sorry for all the reading, I'm sure I forgot some things but they'll come up later. I'll put some pictures up of the current state it's in and I'll link my photobucket album if you want to look more. I've about 150 pictures there and many more on my computer.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Previous owners have done a number to the engine bay. There's loose wires and hoses everywhere.

Here's the link to the photobucket album. Truck Restoration Photos by Juntunenguitars | Photobucket

Just for fun I took it out for the first time in a while today to take this picture. My dad's 76 taken back in 79 and my 78 today. Same place just 35 years apart. For those who saw my thread about finding my dads truck I'm still working on buying it back from the current owners.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That is a really neat pic of your dads and your truck. its very cool to see you doing a restoration on it. Its gonna be one helluva truck once its done. When I did my 77, that was the decision I made..to restore an old truck rather than buy new. Downside is, I don't drive it during winter and now with 2 kids I can't fit the entire family legally in it. Oh well. I do wish I would have started with a supercab, but it is what it is. Maybe someday, I will find a 4x4 supercab chassis to do a body swap with my 75 supercab 4x2 to be a all around truck. Keep us posted.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by bucks77ford
That is a really neat pic of your dads and your truck. its very cool to see you doing a restoration on it. Its gonna be one helluva truck once its done. When I did my 77, that was the decision I made..to restore an old truck rather than buy new. Downside is, I don't drive it during winter and now with 2 kids I can't fit the entire family legally in it. Oh well. I do wish I would have started with a supercab, but it is what it is. Maybe someday, I will find a 4x4 supercab chassis to do a body swap with my 75 supercab 4x2 to be a all around truck. Keep us posted.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing this done. When I was looking for a dent I only had three requirements, it had to be 4x4, have a long box and not be a single cab. I almost gave up since all the supercabs and crews on CL were way to expensive and 100's of miles away until I came across this one and ended up buying it for $3500.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 PM
march
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It was worth the wait. I spent a long time looking for mine.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I kinda like that color scheme, different and looks more period correct to me. Be forewarned, I planned on mine taking a year to complete and here I am 2 years later still not done. By god she will be done this year though. :P

Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian1080
I kinda like that color scheme, different and looks more period correct to me. Be forewarned, I planned on mine taking a year to complete and here I am 2 years later still not done. By god she will be done this year though. :P
Oh I fully expect it to take me a while don't worry. Still not 100% sold on the stock color scheme, the more I look at it I could agree it looks more period correct but I've also been liking the look of a brown with tan color scheme as well like this. I don't know who's truck this is but I'm pretty sure I got it off this site.

Besides the paint scheme I was hoping to start cutting and welding by the week after next but I may not be able to now due to some unexpected health problems that have been kicking me for three weeks now and will be there probably a few more weeks. If I have the energy I plan to start cutting by the end of may. All the patch panels are sitting in the truck and the wiring for the welder should be hooked up now, it's a 220v Hobart Handler 175, it has a hookup for gas and came with a heavy duty welding table on wheels all for a couple hundred at an auction last summer. I've read good things about it so far I just haven't used it yet, going to have to do some test welds first since it has been a little while since I used a wire feed.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Awesome truck! I'm usually not a big fan of 78's but for some reason I love yours! Personally I like the stock colors. You mentioned lifting the rear seat, how to you plan on doing that? Reason I ask is cause I have a 75 f-350 supercab and have thought about that as well. By the looks of it your front axle appears to be a dana 44 3/4 ton. The Dana 44 HD has bigger outer hubs. Deffanalty subscribing!!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 PM
19-F250-78
Senior User
Originally Posted by Feardeere7
Awesome truck! I'm usually not a big fan of 78's but for some reason I love yours! Personally I like the stock colors. You mentioned lifting the rear seat, how to you plan on doing that? Reason I ask is cause I have a 75 f-350 supercab and have thought about that as well. By the looks of it your front axle appears to be a dana 44 3/4 ton. The Dana 44 HD has bigger outer hubs. Deffanalty subscribing!!
Thanks, I like the 78/9 grille with super/crewcabs more than the 77 and earlier.

This company makes a lift kit LMI Welding Quality Metal Fabrication but it's $125 plus $15 shipping. Once I get the truck back from storage next week I'm going to pull the rear seat and do some measuring and see how easy it would be to just make my own.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Feardeere7
Senior User
Originally Posted by 19-F250-78

Thanks, I like the 78/9 grille with super/crewcabs more than the 77 and earlier.

This company makes a lift kit LMI Welding Quality Metal Fabrication but it's $125 plus $15 shipping. Once I get the truck back from storage next week I'm going to pull the rear seat and do some measuring and see how easy it would be to just make my own.
I like the 79 grille just not the 77/78 with the round head lights.

Thanks for the link! I was unaware that they actually made a kit for it! If you decide to make your own be sure to post it up for the rest of us supercab owners! Can't wait to follow your progress!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
That is a different color combo. Do you know where in NY that dealer is - couldn't magnify the sticker on the tailgate?
Factory air. I have a 78 SC 2 WD.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 PM
boggin79ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 19-F250-78
Oh I fully expect it to take me a while don't worry. Still not 100% sold on the stock color scheme, the more I look at it I could agree it looks more period correct but I've also been liking the look of a brown with tan color scheme as well like this. I don't know who's truck this is but I'm pretty sure I got it off this site.

Besides the paint scheme I was hoping to start cutting and welding by the week after next but I may not be able to now due to some unexpected health problems that have been kicking me for three weeks now and will be there probably a few more weeks. If I have the energy I plan to start cutting by the end of may. All the patch panels are sitting in the truck and the wiring for the welder should be hooked up now, it's a 220v Hobart Handler 175, it has a hookup for gas and came with a heavy duty welding table on wheels all for a couple hundred at an auction last summer. I've read good things about it so far I just haven't used it yet, going to have to do some test welds first since it has been a little while since I used a wire feed.

hey thats my old truck lol.. I sold it last year. As for the fuel injection why dont you run a fuel injected 460 out of a newer truck? thats what I plan on doing once I get another dent side.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:08 AM
NorthwestX360
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by boggin79ford
hey thats my old truck lol.. I sold it last year. As for the fuel injection why dont you run a fuel injected 460 out of a newer truck? thats what I plan on doing once I get another dent side.
What size tires are those, and how much lift is that? 6 inches? I like that look, and I want to eventually lift mine and put bigger tires on it.

Quick Reply: 1978 F250 Supercab Restoration