Excursion trade for f350

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion trade for f350

Hey guys.

Iv got a 97 Ford f350 powerstroke (Dually) (Auto)
Iv got a little money invested in the truck -Haven't had any major issue out of it except for the trans that I had to have rebuilt. (I have a shift kit and Bigger T/Q installed) 1800$. The truck has around 257000 Mile on it.

This is a long story so bear with me
Sometime ago I got my brother a 2000 Excursion with a 5.4 Triton (215k Miles) I had known the Excursion for sometime - It belong to a friend of mine- He got tight for money and sold it to my brother for a 1000$.
I had worked on it a few times and it never really had much issue.
The biggest problem it had was the brakes - About a year before it was sold to my brother -
The owner brought the truck to me saying the brakes had failed (This would be the 2nd time it had brake issues)....
I replaced the Brake Master cylinder and bleed the system and everything was fine - With parts and labor my friend owed me around 500$.
He said park it and he would pay me when he could - A year later my friend had still not paid and my brother came into some money and wanted to know if he would sale it - He had me handle the buying and selling. My brother was living in a different state so he had me handle the buying.

Long story short I got it from him for 1000$. I went a parked it in the back yard and there it sets.

The truck has probably been setting closer to 2 years straight- 1 that I know of. I know it probably has setting longer then it has drove in the 5 years iv know the truck.

My brother got his taxs back and has had me start on getting it road ready.

Anyway - I mentioned how much I like the excursion and he offered to trade me straight up. He has offered to help me fix everything before we do the trade - so I wont be with out a ride.
My brother wants my truck because of it towing ability - He wants to get a Travel trailer to live in and be able to go wear his work is... In fact this is why he bought the Excursion in the first place - He was gonna live in it on the road.
Im thinking hard about trading him. I love the excursion.
It is fully loaded - Leather seats - All the little toys.

However There are somethings that bothers me about this.

Before i parked it - It had a misfire and air idle control issue - I kinda feel the misfire is from setting and crap being in the system....
Today.
Iv changed the AIC. Changed the oil and fired her up today.... She did miss pretty bad at first but the longer she has ran the cleaner sounding and better she feels.
The misfire is only when you rev it - If you hold the throttle it doesn't misfire.
I sprayed about a can of seafoam down the throttle body with it running to try and clean up any junk - This seemed to help a bit.
I changed the plugs.
She is also smoking now -Iv never seen this thing smoke before. (Im not sure if this is from setting or maybe the seafoam and or some bad gas) It not bad smoke - Just a little bit.

I really feel the engine may need a good run up and down the highway with a fresh tank of fuel.

Now the one thing that mess with me - There is a noise coming from the passenger side head - Its not valve clatter - It has the rhythm of valves but the sound of popping or clicking (cackling) Almost like ejectors clattering. Iv been told it a exhaust leak. It does the noise only when you peg the gas - Once the engine caughts up to speed with the throttle - its gone.

However - My 92 ford f150 5.0 started making a sound JUST LIKE THIS.... It made the noise for almost a year until i went on a road trip- in the middle of the road trip it stopped - (I was checking everything under the hood with it running) I pecked the gas a few times and I could not hear the sound anymore..... *I thought cool and closed the hood* Well this is the very same time I started blowing oil out of the air filter housing....... So I kinda got it in my head that the sound was from a partly broken piston ring. BTW - This truck has always made this noise (Since Iv known it)

Any advice on this noise???

Also any thoughts on this over all?

What Kinda miles can these engine run?

This is one thing I like about my truck - the powerstrokes can run 500k+ if treated right.

O yes the brakes have went out again - from setting i guess - IDK - WTF??? They wear working fine when I parked it.

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
O BTW - I hooked up a aftermarket oil pressure gauge and She has 80psi when could and 45 to 50 warmed up at idle. This is no engine noise - other then the clicking noise when u rev the engine.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:48 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
The noise sounds something like these

Almost perfect - but a lil different sounding

LT1 Engine Knock.. Need help figuring out what is causing it [solved] - YouTube

Mustang loose rockers?!?!? - YouTube

Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Your misfire could be caused by bad coils. Have you checked for any codes? How did the coil boots look when you changed the plugs? I'm assuming you torqued the plugs to spec? (important)

For your ticking noise it's probably the exhaust manifold. Either it's cracked or you have some broken studs or a blown gasket.

If you can do the work yourself (and it seems like you're willing) then the manifold isn't a very expensive fix... just kind of a PIA.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:40 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by jayjjcc
Your misfire could be caused by bad coils. Have you checked for any codes? How did the coil boots look when you changed the plugs? I'm assuming you torqued the plugs to spec? (important)

For your ticking noise it's probably the exhaust manifold. Either it's cracked or you have some broken studs or a blown gasket.

If you can do the work yourself (and it seems like you're willing) then the manifold isn't a very expensive fix... just kind of a PIA.
Thanks for the info. I did not know the spark plugs had a torque spec. Can you tell me that spec?? Thanks.
Im gonna toy with the truck some more in a bit and ill let yall know what happens- Thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe it is 11 foot pounds

Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Yep, 12 to 14 ft lbs on a cold engine.

Stewart

Old 04-20-2014, 03:55 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Thanks guys! I Tqed down the spark plugs to 11lbs.
I changed the fuel filter (I think there maybe something in the fuel tank) The fuel coming out of the filter had a whitish tint to it. (Do you know what sugar mixed with water looks like???)Thats what the fuel looked like - clearish with a silver/whitish look to it.

The misfiring does seem to be getting better - I think it needs a good run up and down the highway- When I get the tags I will do so.
Is there anything else I can check to address the misfire?

One thing I noticed today!
I put the truck in D and held the brakes - I acceded the engine a bit and it did not have a misfire until the Rpms reached 1500+.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:03 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
O yea - I spayed some carb cleaner down the throttle body as well and noticed later on that the smoking stopped!

Old 04-20-2014, 05:23 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Also the Speedo jumps around when revving the engine. Any idea what would cause this?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Wear did everyone go?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM
JKTex
Junior User
We're wondering why you want an Excursion with a 5.4. A neighbor has one that's still like brand new. It's Mom's grocery getter and it's been a solid, stand up truck for them all these years. They do have a purpose and theirs has been solid, and looks like it could roll up on a showroom and look like it never left.

I assume you've ruled out piston slap? Although from what you describe I'd have to agree, sounds like an exhaust leak. It's hard to see up around that side but you'll likely be able to see black where it's leaking if it is.