Gooseneck recommendations for F250 SB

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gooseneck recommendations for F250 SB

Hi folks,
I just bought a 2005 F250SD diesel crew cab with the short bed box. Didn't realize how difficult this would end up being till now due to the SB box. I wanted the long bed, but got a really smoking deal on the SB. I'm looking to get a fifth wheel camper and want to tow it with a gooseneck hitch. I really prefer to not have to deal with the fifth wheel hitch in the box and having to remove it when I don't need it. I've called a few dealers around here, Denver area, and they all say they don't deal with goose conversions. I know it's higher here than it was not too long ago , but I don't think it's that high! I've seen people towing fifth wheel campers with SB trucks, so what gives? I've looked into the B&W and hide-a-goose but the measurements don't add up to give the recommended 4" clearance, even with the ball extenders.

What are people using? I have nothing in the bed of the truck now, so I'm open to anything. I also see that there are hitch pin extenders out there, not familiar with them(this will be my first fifth wheel). Is that the trick, ball extender mixed with the hitch pin extender? Can you even do that? Thanks for all the help ahead of time!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, when we were shopping I thought I wanted a gooseneck since I already had the hitch in the truck. We found, however, that most trailer manufacturers don't recommend that conversion and in fact it may void any warranties there might be. Having said that we did go with the Companion Slider hitch. There are now some other options. Anderson makes a hitch now that lets you use the gooseneck without converting the fifth wheel kingpin. At least one member here has that type of hitch and will hopefully chime in.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
This is my now gone '06 F350 and hooked up to our 34' 5er. It's a SB and using a B&W Turnover with their Companion hitch. Many trailers without the cutaway aero nose will need a slider which B&W now sells. I didn't need that type hitch though it was close. Bed to trailer clearance is +/-6 inches. As far as gooseneck adapters, most trailer manufacturers will not warranty their frames with that added lever arm.

This is as it was set up in the '06 truck:

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I used a reese signature series slider with my 08 short bed. It was a under the bed mounted system (hidden hitch) so when the slider was out it was smooth surface.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have heard it's a no-no re the goosenecks...

When we were newbies I had enough to learn so we went for the Pullrite Superglide since I didn't want to forget ONE time and ruin a perfectly good camping trip

Have kept it and moved it from truck to truck ever since !

Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Thanks for the info so far guys! That's a sweet setup Irelands Child! The warranty I'm not too worried about, we're looking at campers that are out of warranty anyway. It's a starter camper for us and not sure if the wife is going to really take to camping. Plus, I'm gonna be using it for Elk and other hunting trips so I don't want anything too fancy as it'll get all full of mud and stuff. I'm still hoping for a Hail Mary, but I'm thinking a fifth wheel slider hitch with an under bed mount, like senix mentioned, is in my future.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark_in_co
The warranty I'm not too worried about, we're looking at campers that are out of warranty anyway.
The reason that it can void a warranty is because the frame of a fifth wheel is not designed to handle the stresses of a gooseneck. I have heard that is can cause the shell to break around the most forward slideout.

Here is a picture of the Companion slider that connects to the B&W turnover ball hitch that I have.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Mark_in_co
Senior User
Are you able to do a full 90 degree turn with the slider fifth wheel hitches?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Well, with the trailer we have the front cap is rounded specifically with a short bed in mind. I can put the truck 90 degrees to the trailer with the slider forward. However, with the slider back it definitely improves the maneuverability when parking.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my 08. First pic is the hitch. I had already started to remove it then I decided to get a pic, that is why it is a little tilted.

this pic shows the bed after removal. There are rubber covers that plug the holes for the pucks.