Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Elder User

Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.
You dont have to do head studs on a 6.0 unless your wanting big HP and use a tune that will boost over about 29 psi. I have 210k on my 6.0, no studs, no HG issues and I run a mild custom street tune.
The cost of bulletproofing is all in the labor. If you can get the EGR off yourself and install a delete kit, your only out a couple hundred bucks. The do a coolant flush and change it to red ELC coolant. Another $150.
Done.

2003 6.0 dully CC LB
2000 7.3 Excursion Limited
Both running on high cholesterol WVO fuel
Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Posting Guru

az_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to beholdaz_r2d1 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
2003 Ford F-250 $12,500 Possible Trade - 100634949 | Custom Full Size Truck Classifieds | Full Size Truck Sales

Are they all turbo? I really need the bed so I can haul dirt and things for all the work I'm doing on my house over the next few years and although I love the X the damn 5.4 2wd leaves me with limited options. I can't afford to buy a better equipped X so I have this or nothing. Thoughts?
Why not get a trailer?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Senior User

Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay H View Post
You dont have to do head studs on a 6.0 unless your wanting big HP and use a tune that will boost over about 29 psi. I have 210k on my 6.0, no studs, no HG issues and I run a mild custom street tune.
The cost of bulletproofing is all in the labor. If you can get the EGR off yourself and install a delete kit, your only out a couple hundred bucks. The do a coolant flush and change it to red ELC coolant. Another $150.
Done.
True, but many 6.0 end up with HG failure even without tunes and thus one should set aside (or at least expect) another $4-5k (or half for DIY) in repair cost should it be needed.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Elder User

Mr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_r2d1 View Post
Why not get a trailer?
This is the best idea in my opinion. Having a pickup is great, but the EX with a trailer is cheaper, and more useful IMO.

2005 Ex. 6l w/'04 sticker on valve cover, FICM by Ed. Thanks USCG_PA for the CAC pipe!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Elder User

Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.Clay H has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus E View Post
True, but many 6.0 end up with HG failure even without tunes
I dont know of a single one. To say "many" is a stretch. Of course any engine can have a failed HG for whatever reason but the #1 cause of 6.0 head gasket failure is excessive cylinder pressure from custom tunes. Factory tuning simply can not lift a head.

2003 6.0 dully CC LB
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior User

Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.Magnus E has a very good reputation on FTE.
I didn't tune my 6.0 until after I had my HG and studs done. I had replaced the oil cooler and the EGR and still had coolant stains all over the engine compartment. So now you know at least one...
Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Posting Guru

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
I used to flip cars and trucks a few years ago (check out my profile) but the X I paid cash for and never had any intention of selling. The only reason I put it up was just because the first day I had it I was overwhelmed by the size and thought I would never get used to it and was afraid to drive it. I put it up for sale and the wife took the keys to my Blazer. I had to run to the store and so the X was the only real choice, never had an issue since. I drive this thing like a little Miata now I do NOT have money for bulletproofing/rebuilding/head studs or anything of the like. I have no way of doing it myself to be honest, I can work on my 5.4 a little but am much better suited at 4cyl, old school import trucks and turbine engines (seriously). The EGR I can probably handle but other than that I'm out. I would really like a diesel but I am not going to go out on a limb and risk what I have for it, my 5.4 is nice I think I'll have to pass on this one unless there is something to save it. The overwhelming response on here speaks for itself!
Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Posting Guru

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
Just got a few pics via email from him (Kinda small and not very detailed really) and a brief description so I thought I would post it up:

2003 f250 lariat, 4x4, 6.0, 152k, bed liner, tow package, leather, Michelin tires, 1/2 tread or little less, no issues what so ever with the 6.0, I know some people don't like that engine.

Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
FTEFCM 7

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Whew, good job guys, nice stick save.

We kept him in the "fold."

"Form never follows function; that is the folly and the vanity of theory"

(Rudolph)
http://vimeo.com/user25371657
Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Posting Guru

llittle_llama
The fact that their small phone pictures and that he didn't take any of the rear seats, back of the truck, bed of the truck is a little odd. If it was as nice as he claims it is he should be taking all the pictures he could.
Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Elder User

Mr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to beholdMr.Nobody is a splendid one to behold
Welcome back to the dark side, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2005 Ex. 6l w/'04 sticker on valve cover, FICM by Ed. Thanks USCG_PA for the CAC pipe!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Posting Guru

llittle_llama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
Welcome back to the dark side, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Shouldn't diesel be the "dark side"?
Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus E View Post
I didn't tune my 6.0 until after I had my HG and studs done. I had replaced the oil cooler and the EGR and still had coolant stains all over the engine compartment. So now you know at least one...
Yep, and the only one. And you know for sure it was a blow head gasket causing the degas bottle to puke and not just the weak cap?

2003 6.0 dully CC LB
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Posting Guru

Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
No pics of the engine bay, probably because there's coolant residue from boiling away. I would never touch a 6.0 unless I had detailed paperwork showing what was done, there's too many variables with no history.

Good call on keeping the EX, most places now rent 6x12 Dump trailers for hauling dirt, rocks etc.

1939 Ford COE custom. "Ford-Tuff"
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior User

00X7.3PSD has a very good reputation on FTE.00X7.3PSD has a very good reputation on FTE.00X7.3PSD has a very good reputation on FTE.00X7.3PSD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
I used to flip cars and trucks a few years ago (check out my profile) but the X I paid cash for and never had any intention of selling. The only reason I put it up was just because the first day I had it I was overwhelmed by the size and thought I would never get used to it and was afraid to drive it. I put it up for sale and the wife took the keys to my Blazer. I had to run to the store and so the X was the only real choice, never had an issue since. I drive this thing like a little Miata now I do NOT have money for bulletproofing/rebuilding/head studs or anything of the like. I have no way of doing it myself to be honest, I can work on my 5.4 a little but am much better suited at 4cyl, old school import trucks and turbine engines (seriously). The EGR I can probably handle but other than that I'm out. I would really like a diesel but I am not going to go out on a limb and risk what I have for it, my 5.4 is nice I think I'll have to pass on this one unless there is something to save it. The overwhelming response on here speaks for itself!
Unless you absolutely need a 4x4, your 2wd 5.4 Ex is a good vehicle. If you really need more power, just re-gear it to 4.30 and keep stock size tires. It will have plenty of power. There is nothing wrong with a 5.4 Ex. Especially when it's paid for.

2000 Ex 7.3 4wd, 05 front coil axle. B mod with stock block.

2001 Ex v10 2wd, Stock
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs