Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Elder User

Alex from GA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gear selector?

'99 Explorer. When the pointer is in D the transmission is in N. Does anyone have a fix for this? It looks like the problem is in the upper steering column.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
Posting Guru

Mikeman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Assuming it's like a '98, there is a shift indicator cable that can be adjusted. The manual says to remove the upper instrument panel steering column cover, put the gearshift lever in D, put an 8 lb weight on the end of the lever, then rotate the thumbwheel until the pointer is in the center of the D. The thumbwheel is located on the bottom of the steering column.

I haven't seen this thumbwheel (I have a manual tranny and haven't noticed one when scrounging in the junkyards) but I would stick my head under the steering column and look for it before I removed the instrument panel steering column cover. The only reason I say this is because you have to remove the "upper" cover to get access to something that is at the "bottom" of the steering column. Unfortunately, the images don't give you a good idea of the location relative to anything meaningful.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Elder User

Thanks Mikeman, It doesn't seem like just an adjustment because it happened all at once. It may have come off its track or something.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Posting Guru

If you have a u-pull-it kind of junkyard near you, you might want to go dissect a '99 and see if you can learn something. Always better to practice on something that doesn't matter if you screw it up.

If I'd had seen your post before Saturday, I would have taken a look while I was at the junkyard (assuming I remembered). Junkyards are great. It's like going to a museum where you can actually touch stuff and learn from hands on experience. Highly educational.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Elder User

When I lived in So Cal I used to go to Pick your Parts a few times a year but now the only one I know about is 50 miles away. I've been driving it like it is for a couple of months so a little while more won't hurt, I hope.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Posting Guru

KDAVID1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the same issue on a 05 explorer--does it have the cable as well?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Posting Guru

Resurrecting this old thread as I found a video that covers this issue (or one cause of it) while looking for something else:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Elder User

Thanks Mike, I've been driving it the way it is and I don't think I'll bother to fix it. I did buy another overhead display but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Too much fishing. I have my priorities straight.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex from GA View Post
Thanks Mike, I've been driving it the way it is and I don't think I'll bother to fix it. I did buy another overhead display but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Too much fishing. I have my priorities straight.
Yes, indeed. A properly-indicating gear selector is highly over-rated.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
It is a pain to fix but easy enough to get the dash apart. About 15 minutes. Have to take the radio cover off then it exposes everything. But getting that cable to show the correct gear is a pain...at least for me.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM