Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM
New User

Jeff B M is starting off with a positive reputation.
transmission issue?

2008 with 137000 miles.The truck on occasion has a hard time shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. gas pedal to the floor rpms at 2100 and turbo gauge only at the 1/4 mark . it has a little surge feeling then it might shift. truck has the problem either in or out of tow haul . do not know if that matters. I have had the truck since it had 81000 miles and no issues until now. any thoughts on this ? thanks in advance

Last edited by Jeff B M; 04-17-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Freshman User

sxrfun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like the 3-5 shift flare issue. Does it do it worse when cold? Any issues when shifting into reverse? There's a modified direct clutch solenoid that addresses this issue but with that many miles on truck your direct clutches may be starting to wear and that's why you're noticing it now.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM
New User

no issues with reverse . I pull a 6000 lb trailer and have seen it twice when pulling it. I pull this trailer 3 times a week. have not seen a problem when cold. it seems to more of a problem after I get to where I am going and truck is turned off for a couple of hours . then on the way home is when the problem starts.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Freshman User

sxrfun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Interesting....my truck would have the 3-5 shift flare every now and then. I changed the direct solenoid to the GOGO modified one. All 3-5 shifts are now crisp and firm. Apparently the stock direct solenoid doesn't flow enough fluid to engage the direct clutches fast enough so they slip (flare) a little bit. As they wear this little slip can become more noticeable. I'd notice it slightly more when cold as the fluid is thicker so it would be more pronounced then.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Some of the basics. Checked the fluid? Ever change the filter and do a trans flush or at least fluid replacement with a new filter?

If this is a 2008 if it is job one truck then you may also have the external filter as well.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM
New User

the mechanic said the code showed extreme high fuel pressure he gave me a 50 50 chance that we could fix this by putting the factory program back on the truck if not then he recommended that we would have to replace the high-pressure ignition pump I have done the EGR and DPF delete on this truck this is my first diesel and this is way out of my knowledge league
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel