Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Senior User

Number21 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What causes low oil pressure?

Been having a long/confusing list of issues with my 04 F350. Seemed like a problem with the HPOP not making enough pressure, having hard starts, low power, and finally no start. Finally took it to a mechanic and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but he's still kind of confused by my engine.

The mechanic put a mechanical oil pressure gauge and says he's only getting 2psi cranking. He can get it to idle sometimes and the pressure is 6psi. I'm surprised it can even run with that low of pressure.

Right now the mechanic wants to take off the cover for the low pressure pump, he thinks maybe there could be some scaring in there causing a pressure loss. I changed the oil about 25 miles ago, and I found some fine metal particles on the magnetic drain plug. The oil filter looked clean.

The biggest issue is why, even if the low pressure pump is bad/scarred, what caused it? Any common causes of these symptoms? Where did this metal come from? He also says the IPR is acting funny, but it's hard to test because the engine will barely idle and not rev at all.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
I believe a few folks have found a big hpop side leak can starve the lpop. Hopefully someone can give you some help to narrow it down.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Senior User

Lx460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On the front cover there is a screw in tube with a check ball and spring. Accessible from under the truck. If it gets gummed up or stuck you'll have no oil pressure. Free to check and see before you go digging further. I've had a couple trucks with this issue. If not your oil pump (gerotor) is probably worn. Depending on wear, front cover may need replacement as well. How many miles on truck?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx460 View Post
If not your oil pump (gerotor) is probably worn. Depending on wear, front cover may need replacement as well. How many miles on truck?
That's exactly what my mechanic said. But the question is why? Do they just wear out? I've got about 198k on it.

Is it ever normal to find a little bit of fine metal on the magnetic oil drain plug? My mechanic thinks maybe this metal came from something else and ruined the pump on its way out.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
SPONSOR

Asheville Engine is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/AshevilleEngineRebuilders https://twitter.com/AshevilleEngine
If you had metal particles stuck to your MAGNETIC drain plug it's because something STEEL is coming apart in your engine.
There are several likely causes, HPOP could be one, lifter failure could be another. If your mechanic finds needle bearings or impressions of them in your georotor gears, you have a real problem...but I can help with that.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Senior User

My mechanic finally got the low pressure cover off, and says it is pretty badly scored. Waiting on a new one from Ford. He thinks that's why there is no oil pressure, but still not sure what caused that.

Also he thinks there might be something clogging up the IPR valve, possibly the same metal that went through my pump. Any ideas where this metal came from?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
My mechanic finally got the low pressure cover off, and says it is pretty badly scored. Waiting on a new one from Ford. He thinks that's why there is no oil pressure, but still not sure what caused that.

Also he thinks there might be something clogging up the IPR valve, possibly the same metal that went through my pump. Any ideas where this metal came from?
Can you post photos of the old gears? A common cause of LPOP damage is a failed lifter sending needle bearing pieces to the oil pan and ultimately through the LPOP and it leaves very distinct markings on the LPOP gears.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
Can you post photos of the old gears? A common cause of LPOP damage is a failed lifter sending needle bearing pieces to the oil pan and ultimately through the LPOP and it leaves very distinct markings on the LPOP gears.
I don't have a pic but he said my pump looked like it was in good shape, he wasn't going to change it. Only the cover was scarred. He specifically said he's seen lifters do that before and it doesn't look like that happened.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
I wouldn't put a new pump in until your make sure you find the source and verify there isn't any more metal pieces... You don't want to do this again, do you?

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Senior User

captfatboyf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.captfatboyf250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wrong board my bad
Old 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
SPONSOR

Asheville Engine is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/AshevilleEngineRebuilders https://twitter.com/AshevilleEngine
Ditto what Misky6.0 said.
Figure out what is coming apart before you have to buy a new engine.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Senior User

Well, my mechanic is still digging into my engine...

He replaced the low pressure pump, and says now the oil pressure is where it should be. Still doesn't run right.

He rebuilt the IPR - says there was a lot of metal in the screen.

Still won't do much more than idle. Today he's checking the high pressure system and probably the pump.

Before I bought the truck, I was told the HPOP had already been replaced not that long ago. It is a late model 2004(June), with the ICP sensor on the valve cover, but my mechanic says it might have the old style HPOP. Is this possible? As I understand it, the later HPOPs almost never go out...

He seems to think maybe something blew up in my engine in the past, never got cleaned out, and it just now found it's way through my pumps. Been finding a lot of evidence of a prior bad mechanic.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
Quote:
Well, my mechanic is still digging into my engine...

He replaced the low pressure pump, and says now the oil pressure is where it should be. Still doesn't run right.

He rebuilt the IPR - says there was a lot of metal in the screen.

Still won't do much more than idle. Today he's checking the high pressure system and probably the pump.

Before I bought the truck, I was told the HPOP had already been replaced not that long ago. It is a late model 2004(June), with the ICP sensor on the valve cover, but my mechanic says it might have the old style HPOP. Is this possible? As I understand it, the later HPOPs almost never go out...

He seems to think maybe something blew up in my engine in the past, never got cleaned out, and it just now found it's way through my pumps. Been finding a lot of evidence of a prior bad mechanic.
Your truck would have the old style pump. It was in 05' MY the new pump was introduced and the source of the metal on the IPR screen is probably from the pump internals.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
Your truck would have the old style pump. It was in 05' MY the new pump was introduced and the source of the metal on the IPR screen is probably from the pump internals.
Then why do most of the pumps I've looked at say 2003-2004 or 2004.5-2010? I've never seen 05 as the different year...

Example:
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Then why do most of the pumps I've looked at say 2003-2004 or 2004.5-2010? I've never seen 05 as the different year...
I cant tell you why, the 2003-2004 makes sense but the 2004.5-2010 makes no sense. Look through this 2005 coffee table book from the tech folder, http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manu...ble%20Book.pdf
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel