6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
ddiddle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Opinions

First of all, my name is Daryl, and I live just outside Lexington, KY. I've been a lurker for a while and have found this to be a great site with great people. Thanks for the help you've already been to me.

For a year or so, I've been looking at 04 - 06 6.0 crew cabs. I'm considering purchasing one for three reasons: first, because I have three boys who are needing more back seat space; second, because, frankly, 6.0's seem to cost a little less due to their reputation (deserved or not); and third, because I love the look and heft of the SD trucks. I don't need a 3/4 ton truck...I don't pull or haul anything that heavy so as to require it. I really just like the space the SD crew cabs afford, and I prefer to drive a truck, and the bigger the better.

I've read lots of the counsel on here about the 6.0: the importance of careful, faithful maintenance, the need to "use the trucks for what they were intended for," etc. Although I'm very careful to maintain my vehicles, I don't have tons of money to put into inordinately expensive maintenance, and since I wouldn't be using the truck for big pulling or hauling or even all that much long distance driving - I'd really be using it for an around town "car" most of the time - what I want to know is, should I avoid getting into the whole SD / diesel thing? Would I be better off with a gas engine version of the SD style? How do gas / diesel costs compare overall?

This would be my first diesel and I'm just not sure of the feasibility and / or sensibility of making the move, considering how I would and would not use the vehicle.

Sincere thanks for any counsel you might offer.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For around town kinda driving id steer clear of a diesel.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked into the Excursion for more room diesel to gas you would get better mileage ( but ) the Maintain would counter that. These trucks are made to work in style and a few trips to the store wont kill ya the Turbos don't like to sit Idle for that matter the engine don't like to Idle for too long with the soot build up it's better to work that engine, True fact you can get a 6.0 cheep and you will need a monitoring gauge to help keep things on the up which is not hard but could get costly if not taken care of. Welcome to FTE and take a trip over to the Tech folders read up and then ( buyer beware) not everybodys 6.0 is in the same Health

Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree with 04badford. There are more logical choices but sometimes you just have to drive what you want. The trick to making this work for you without crashing the budget is to get a truck that's in good shape. As a first time buyer that can be a bit of a trick. Maybe you have a friend with some 6.0experience and a ScanGauge or other monitor that could check one out with you?
Fuel mileage around town isn't a huge benefit in my opinion. Out on the highway is where it can save a few bucks, but add $100 or so for an oil change every 5kmi and $70 or so for fuel filters every 10-15k mi, and diesel being 60cents or more higher per gallon than gasoline and it's not particularly cost effective for transportation. But it is an awesome ride .

I will say that although I bought the truck to pull a fifth wheel camper and I have a motorcycle, a Jeep, and a JaguarXJS with a Chevy v-8 conversion, I usually put more miles on the truck than all of those combined (although I do like the bike when the weather is nice).

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.