Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (all engine sizes)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
New User

klasher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs down 3.5 EcoBoost Timing Chain Noise

Anyone else having an issue? Marble like noise at start up only. I did an internet search and it said this is a $4,000 dealership fix. I have 92,000miles on it, out of warranty and extended warranty is up. Oil changes done every 5K at dealership where it was purchased. I have an appointment for later in the week, but the YouTube video was the exact sound mine makes.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Buy a new extended warranty fast!

Also, be sure and use Motorcraft oil filters. Aftermarket filters may have inadequate anti-drainback valves causing less oil pressure at startup. The chain tensioners use oil pressure so that could be the issue.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
New User

klasher is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update: Dealer pulled code. It was not the timing chain it was the left side converter.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:52 AM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Converter wouldn't make the noise you described. It's possible the code was unrelated.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 AM
New User

rmaratas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im kinda curious about this issue... How did you verify that the noise came from the converter?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
New User

EBXLTF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klasher View Post
Anyone else having an issue? Marble like noise at start up only. I did an internet search and it said this is a $4,000 dealership fix. I have 92,000miles on it, out of warranty and extended warranty is up. Oil changes done every 5K at dealership where it was purchased. I have an appointment for later in the week, but the YouTube video was the exact sound mine makes.
Vacuum pump under the driver's side headlight maybe? Others with 2011/2012 reported the same sound and it was a vacuum pump related to brake boost and the device is under the driver side headlight (general area).

But if they dealer replaced one of your catalytic converters and the noise is gone now...ok, maybe something was broke inside.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM