1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Totally Tuna
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Braking issue

I have an '04 EX with 6.0. When braking at highway speeds the rear end shudders until I get the truck slowed down some. Around town speeds of 45 or less the problem is almost non-existent. It almost seems to be hydraulic instead of pads/rotor issue. Wouldn't a warped rotor show up at slower speeds as well?

I have some good mechanics around, but have never found a great brake shop that I can trust. Go in needing pads and they try and upsell saying this or that is going out.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Totally Tuna
I have an '04 EX with 6.0. When braking at highway speeds the rear end shudders until I get the truck slowed down some. Around town speeds of 45 or less the problem is almost non-existent. It almost seems to be hydraulic instead of pads/rotor issue. Wouldn't a warped rotor show up at slower speeds as well?

I have some good mechanics around, but have never found a great brake shop that I can trust. Go in needing pads and they try and upsell saying this or that is going out.
Yes, you should feel a warped rotor at lower speeds but surely not nearly as noticeable.

However, IMO, speed isn't as big a factor as the amount of pressure applied when braking. Hard braking would notice warped rotors at 65 but also at 45 if braking hard.

Just maybe, these guys were right when trying to "upswell" you. I would guess rotors, but I would not rule out the front.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A warped rear rotor will be more prevalent at higher speeds and/or harder braking situations. On easy braking, your rear brakes aren't doing much work relative to the front.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be stuck slide pins as well, which usually leads to a warped rotor. If the slide pin on one caliper is stuck you only get the piston side pad applying, at higher speeds it builds up more heat and off gasses as well as causing the rotor to deflect causing the pulse. If caught soon enough the rotor may survive.

Last edited by clem1226; 04-17-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Totally Tuna
Senior User
r2millers, the upsells I'm talking about have been on previous cars where I just went in with needing to have pads replaced with no apparent issues. I've since learned to replace my own brake pads, but still sometimes send my wife's car in to have stuff like that done when I'm too busy. I called a mechanic that I trust for smaller vehicles and he sounded like he would do the right thing. The ones that I've had problems with are the national brake/tune up companies. They seem to be more of parts changers than mechanics. My Diesel guys all take too long to get a vehicle back and this should be a relatively simple task.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Totally Tuna
r2millers, the upsells I'm talking about have been on previous cars where I just went in with needing to have pads replaced with no apparent issues. I've since learned to replace my own brake pads, but still sometimes send my wife's car in to have stuff like that done when I'm too busy. I called a mechanic that I trust for smaller vehicles and he sounded like he would do the right thing. The ones that I've had problems with are the national brake/tune up companies. They seem to be more of parts changers than mechanics. My Diesel guys all take too long to get a vehicle back and this should be a relatively simple task.
Tuna,

I agree with the premise that these guys will offer every possible part when repairing.

I understand the up sell, an opportunity to add more to the ticket, give you a good, better, best approach, and last, to ensure their liability is covered, just in case.

Sounded like you were referring to your truck. Just had to ask the question?

It could be a stuck pin as noted above but a simple inspection will validate.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Totally Tuna
Senior User
Test Drive

Driving home for lunch I experimented some. Above 50 on highway gradually slowing down shudder. 65 more aggressive braking heavy shudder. In town 40 gradual braking fine, 40 hard braking very slight shudder for about 1/2 second. 45 hard braking maybe 1 second shudder. Below 40 all is fine hard braking or gentle. Tried in OD and in 3rd and not difference.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Totally Tuna
Senior User
Warped rotors

I was certain that the problem was in the rear brakes. Turned out to be bad front rotors. New rotors fixed the problem.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeha!!

smooth brakes feel great don't they!

I hear you on the upsell. In the past I WAS a loyal Less Schwab customer. One fine spring morning about 10 years ago I was in the waiting area lounging while my studded tires were swapped for my summer tires ( was told an hour was there for three) and witnessed the majority of the customers being up sold on issues that "discovered" during their tire chang over. Then they tried it on me, " you have two leaking shocks". Those shocks where less than 2 months old and had nothing more than mag chloride ( liquid deicer) on them. The they tried to sell me on a brake job " pads are worn, we can do a brake job " me " how much?" Schwabie " $1200" me "pads are less than $100, how long do you guys take!?" Schwabie " well we have to replace the rotors, calipers and pads". Me "why?" Schwabie: "It's corporate policy". I had to check a mirror, I could have sworn when I walked in I was a 30 year old male in carhart............

Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by r2millers
I would guess rotors, but I would not rule out the front.
Always nice to hear of the solution, even better when you nail it!

Glad to see you're back on the road.