1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac recharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM
rkmason
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac recharge

I have a 2000 f250 super duty 6.8l v10 and I busted the ac condenser so I put a new one in now the weather is getting warmer I need to recharge it does anyone know how?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Mat523
Freshman User
Plug and play...you can get everything you need at the local auto parts store. Just hook the r134a to you a/c line and let the refrigerant flow. It will probably take a couple of cans. Stop filling when the temp gets cold. Do not overfill, you can always add a little more, but releasing the coolant is a different issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mat523
Plug and play...you can get everything you need at the local auto parts store. Just hook the r134a to you a/c line and let the refrigerant flow. It will probably take a couple of cans. Stop filling when the temp gets cold. Do not overfill, you can always add a little more, but releasing the coolant is a different issue.
You have two fittings, the high side and low side. You will be filling the low side and the size matches the 134 bottles available from auto parts stores to ensure you have found the correct one.

Spend a little more and get the ones with a gauge, ensuring you are filling to the correct pressure.

Ensure the compressor clutch is turning as the low pressure switch won't allow the compressor to operate without freon.

Pretty straight forward.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 AM
fgtex
New User
Originally Posted by rkmason
I have a 2000 f250 super duty 6.8l v10 and I busted the ac condenser so I put a new one in now the weather is getting warmer I need to recharge it does anyone know how?
Where are you located?

This vacuum pump will evacuate the system. This, along with a set of gauges, should confirm that the system has no leaks. Several YouTube videos on how to use it and recharge the system.

I am not AC person, but I used it to recharge my AC system when a rock took out one of my AC lines.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM
RedHorse1
Senior User
fgtex makes a good point. You MUST evacuate the system before charging! This removes the air (and moisture) that will be in the system. I wonder how the HF pump would work for $17. Tool rental places used to have vacuum pumps for rent. Back in the "old days" (R-12) there was a dryer that usually got replaced when a system was opened.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The HF vac pump does work, noisy and slow but it does work. Also the accumulator the big can looking unit should be replaced as it has a desicant in it and at the age of your truck probably has absorbed its max amount of moisture. As long as the system is opened up replace thw orifice tube, they do wear out and plug up, cheap insurance. Moisture in an A/C system spells death to it, turns to acid, bad juju. Also when you think you have evacuated the system enough, give it another 1/2 hour with the HF pump and make sure you also add the correct oil back to the system.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by RedHorse1
fgtex makes a good point. You MUST evacuate the system before charging! This removes the air (and moisture) that will be in the system. I wonder how the HF pump would work for $17. Tool rental places used to have vacuum pumps for rent. Back in the "old days" (R-12) there was a dryer that usually got replaced when a system was opened.
R 134 too. Good point.
Sometimes it's just better to have the right guys services these.
It's another thing to just top off the freon.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:30 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I never heard of evacuating the system before but I have to charge my ac every spring because its warm by the time winter is over then it will last all summer and spring comes...warm again. That's been going on since it was new when my dad bought it and at first Ford was servicing it under warranty trying to find a leak but had no luck. They just said they plugged it in filled it through the port and that was it. I pumped it full of the UV die stuff found it was the seals near the radiator and the mechanic "tightened" them but still i do it every spring but i never do anything special just turn the truck on run the compressor and charge the system never had an issue. It usually takes two full cans of the synthetic Freon stuff to get cold again.

Is that normal to charge a system or is this bad practice i have never heard of this before just read the instructions on the cans lol.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Is that normal to charge a system or is this bad practice i have never heard of this before just read the instructions on the cans lol.
If you aren't opening the system up (disconnecting lines and replacing parts) then you could probably get by without sucking the system down before charging. When you open things up you get the outside air into the system along with any moisture in that air (humidity). The dryer will then start removing any moisture and get itself saturated.
Many years ago I had a truck that would bleed itself out over a 2-4 month period and I would just recharge it (that was when a 5gal jug of R-12 was like $50 and the little cans were $0.97 on sale). It got worse and I tracked down the leak, replaced the condenser and dryer, ran the vacuum pump, charged it and was good to go.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM
rkmason
Freshman User
So it is necessary to suck out all the air and moisture even if the kit I get says 'eliminates moisture and acid'?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Spend a little more and get the ones with a gauge, ensuring you are filling to the correct pressure.
X2. Just a personal preference, but I like the ac pro brand the best.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
What I did was buy the nice ones with a gauge then keep the gauge piece and just buy the cans after that.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
What kind of kit did you buy that removes moisture and acid? First time I've heard of that and I have been a certified A/C tech for 45 years.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Oh I thought you meant the recharge cans..sorry about that.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Lx460
Senior User
If you open the system for any amount of time (over a few hours) you MUST replace the receiver/drier. It's the canister by the fan housing on the passenger side. There is also an orifice tube up in the line that should be replaced as well. Then you pull a vacuum on the system for at least an hour. It lowers the boiling point of water in the system by lowering atmospheric pressure via the vacuum. It allows the moisture to evaporate. You then leave the system for a time and see if it holds a vacuum. If it does, it means it's not leaking. YAY!

NOW, you add the refrigerant and the proper oil to replace what you lose in the drier. The oil's only purpose is to lubricate the compressor. Not enough, it's toast. Add refrigerant according to size of system. An excursion with rear air will hold more than a reg cab f250. Fill it while vehicle running, AC on max, fan on high.

Compressor will cycle while filling. Now you should have cold air.

Quick Reply: ac recharge