Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your state vehicle classification?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What's your state vehicle classification?

Got pulled the other day and the statie was nice enough to condescendingly educate me on the registration class of my rig. Turns out in Washington state the Ex is a passenger vehicle, not an SUV or a truck, and thus I am illegally modified due to a 4" lift and 35's which left my bumpers and lights higher than the legal 22" allotted to *choke* station wagons. Kill me. Time to get over to the DMV and figure out how exactly my 9000lb diesel 4x4 is a wagon.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never had that problem, but with my first Ex, I was able to convince the Commonwealth of Virginia, that the Ex was heavy enough to qualify for "truck" plates. It really did not make much of a difference in the registration, but I loved having the different plates

All that being said, I think I will keep my driving in Washington to a minimum. I too have a 4" lift and 35s, but luckily I have Oregon plates, so maybe the state troopers will leave me alone.

Good luck at the DMV.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Got pulled the other day and the statie was nice enough to condescendingly educate me on the registration class of my rig. Turns out in Washington state the Ex is a passenger vehicle, not an SUV or a truck, and thus I am illegally modified due to a 4" lift and 35's which left my bumpers and lights higher than the legal 22" allotted to *choke* station wagons. Kill me. Time to get over to the DMV and figure out how exactly my 9000lb diesel 4x4 is a wagon.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Did they say it wasn't an suv?........probably doesn't matter. Look at the written law. I would get a copy of the law and read it carefully so you will have some ammunition in case they harass you again.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Az_Ray
Senior User
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
All that being said, I think I will keep my driving in Washington to a minimum. I too have a 4" lift and 35s, but luckily I have Oregon plates, so maybe the state troopers will leave me alone.
I'll be staying way also, since I'm ever taller than that!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Turns out in Washington state the Ex is a passenger vehicle, not an SUV or a truck
WTF are they smoking? Oh wait, that's right, Washington legalized weed.

Originally Posted by EXv10
Look at the written law. I would get a copy of the law and read it carefully so you will have some ammunition in case they harass you again.
Exactly this.

Stewart

Old 04-15-2014, 03:26 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
This is Ga's stance with the precipice of 'replacement of broken springs"
40-8-6. Alteration of suspension system; operation of vehicle with broken springs

(a) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any private passenger motor vehicle which may be operated on any public street or highway more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for any such vehicle.

(b) It shall be unlawful to operate any private passenger motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system of such vehicle has been altered more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for such vehicle

In most cases, this is not enforced. However, if they ever WANT to stop you they can use this section if your vehicle is out of the "factory specs". This one has been on the books since the '70s!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
In PA my EX is considered a station wagon, which is great in that the registration is the same cost as a car vs the several times higher cost of truck plates. We also have ride height laws that I may be violating but honestly I've only ever heard of stupid high mall crawlers getting hassled over it.
The only interaction I've had with a Trooper in my EX was when one pulled next to me at a light and asked if the tires were 35"s on 18"s, he said he thought it looked badass!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
We have stupid lift laws here too, bumper hight can't be over 27". I think the biggest lift thats alowed is 4". Than there's all sorts of headlight, tail light measurements, along with exhaust dB readings and tires can't stick out past the fenders.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nothing new folks, I had to deal with it in the sixties. They can rack you if they want to so you have to ride in fear, no way around it.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I know in NC you don't have to have weighted tags on the Excursion, but on my truck I do to pull the same camper. It saves me some $$$ but it's still strange.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In WV it is considered a station wagon. Simple logic, no separated load area/truck bed, it's not a truck. Back when these laws and classifications were written, there was no such thing as an SUV. Even the old 'Burban was a "Station Wagon" SUV was created as a marketing term. The states follow the older more traditional vehicle classifications. In some states, "cough VA cough" if you have a lifted or lowered vehicle, you can be considered at fault for an accident and not be covered. Love how the states and insurance companies play their little games.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
I never had that problem, but with my first Ex, I was able to convince the Commonwealth of Virginia, that the Ex was heavy enough to qualify for "truck" plates. It really did not make much of a difference in the registration, but I loved having the different plates

Good luck at the DMV.
Unfortunately having out of state plates won't save you, I tried that with my Jeep Cherokee a few years ago (5.5" and 37's amidst many other things) by keeping it registered in Texas. Turns out there's a nice little clause in the RCW that states if you are military or residing in WA that you must abide by state code. I'll admit it makes sense, but it's still a PITA.

EXv10 - I need to dig through the laws a bit more and see exactly what it says and how it's worded.

Going to be getting out here soon and moving back home, hopefully they'll leave me alone until then.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
...by keeping it registered in Texas. Turns out there's a nice little clause in the RCW that states if you are military or residing in WA that you must abide by state code.
I dunno what RCW stands for, but here in California the CVC (California Vehicle Code) states active duty military who have their vehicles registered in their home state have to comply with their home states vehicle code laws, not California's.

Stewart

Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In IL you can title it under passenger car or truck. I told them I needed truck plates and said it was no issue.

Most all of the other excursions running around here have regular passenger car plates.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kdr358
In IL you can title it under passenger car or truck. I told them I needed truck plates and said it was no issue.

Most all of the other excursions running around here have regular passenger car plates.
This is what I was going to say as well. YOu can run truck or car plates.... i have opted for the Vanity Car plates....

-The Great

Quick Reply: What's your state vehicle classification?