1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM
CurtSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks

Hey guys I'm hoping to get some advice on shocks.
First off my truck - 06 250 5.4 2wd ext cab short bed.
My shocks are beat to pieces and it's time to get new ones. I've looked around apparently my options are somewhat limited compared to the 4x4 guys. I see Skyjacker doesn't seem to have anything, Rancho only has 5k's 7's for the rear and 9k's all the way around. Procomp I think has a few options but I know nothing about them. Bilstein has their everyday shocks however based on what I've seen quality wise from them the last few years I'm not interested in those given the price.

I've heard the Rancho 7k's are really good and they have a fair price but I apparently they don't make front shocks for the 2wd. Is the difference between the front shocks on the 2wd and 4wd the length? That would be my guess. The Rancho 9k's seem like they would be good but I've never had an adjustable shock and it seems like a pain to have to jack the truck up all the time or crawl in the dirt to adjust the shocks every time I want to haul or pull a trailer.

What do you have and why?

Thanks!

Curt

Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both Monroe and Rancho have a rebate going on. Rancho till June 30th and Monroe till April 30th.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't used Rancho or procomp, but I have used Monroe on both my bronco and an obs f250 I had and they did good for both off road driving and heavy towing.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
rancho 9000's are great, you dont have to lift the truck to adjust them, I can reach down around the tire and do it, when I go on a long road trip unloaded I put them on soft and it rides nice and smooth even on expansion joints on the fwy its much smoother, loaded or towing bump them up but usually just turn them down when going on a trip, great shocks, as they wear you can turn them up too.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:26 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rdinmv
rancho 9000's are great, you dont have to lift the truck to adjust them, I can reach down around the tire and do it, when I go on a long road trip unloaded I put them on soft and it rides nice and smooth even on expansion joints on the fwy its much smoother, loaded or towing bump them up but usually just turn them down when going on a trip, great shocks, as they wear you can turn them up too.
After the first winter they won't be adjustable anymore. Lol

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 992 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
After the first winter they won't be adjustable anymore. Lol

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
ditto....mine barely turn after first winter and i probally on drove 1000 miles this winter and maybe only 50 of that was thru road salt.

And who is going to leave their truck with out shockes while you send it in for an exchange.

some folks remove the plate with the **** and shoot white grease into the unit...but I was concered that that would void warranty.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
tjcprop
Elder User
My 2005 Tundra we installed the Rancho Quicklift MYRide suspension system with eliminated the factory rake and ability to dampen suspension with snow plow. This system worked extremely well to keep front from sagging with the weight of plow and held up thru two nasty Winnipeg winters. Finally the pump went but was easily replaced.

My 2005 F150 has a 6inch Pro Comp suspension lift. This system has also held up thru two winters but was destroyed after one winter of plowing with a 950lbs Boss. The Pro Comp suspension was more expensive that the Rancho but handled rough 4x4ing better.

My 2014 F250 has just had a 6inch Zone radius arm suspension lift installed. The price of this system was good but the supplied shocks seem cheap. Time and work will determine if these shocks are cheap.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
After the first winter they won't be adjustable anymore. Lol Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Fluid film! Can't say it enough. A layer of fluid film will keep them from seizing up.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 992 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA
Fluid film! Can't say it enough. A layer of fluid film will keep them from seizing up.
My install instructions did not mention that step. Would this void warranty?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm, had a set on my excursions for a couple of winters and they did fine....

even if they did become unadjustable, wouldn't you have found 'your' favorite setting by then ?

and isn't there a lifetime warranty ?

however, I will say I am in de sowth, so no salt 99% of the time...

Just put a set on the 350 and adjusted them to 1 all around...
SO soft, but leaning toward a lil too soft, even with the big rear sway bar it almost floats side to side now....

bounced it up to 2 in front to test that for a bit... but think I may have to go further, the heavy tires almost overpower the softness !

haven't towed the 5er with them yet, but expect much less rebound on those hard dips !

Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced my OE Rancho's with the 7000's & quickly removed them (way too STIFF for me)
Currently running the 9000's & absolutely love them

Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 7000s on my 6.0 and love them. Everyone who rides in my truck can't believe its a leaf sprung super duty

Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
My install instructions did not mention that step. Would this void warranty?
I doubt that it would void the warranty, fluid film is just a protectant. Keeps salt/snow/moisture from building up or sticking to whatever you spray it on.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
ditto....mine barely turn after first winter and i probally on drove 1000 miles this winter and maybe only 50 of that was thru road salt.

And who is going to leave their truck with out shockes while you send it in for an exchange.

some folks remove the plate with the **** and shoot white grease into the unit...but I was concered that that would void warranty.
I don't really care because once I got them set the way I like it I never change them.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:05 PM
CurtSD
New User
Man it seems the Rancho 9k's are really popular. The adjustment **** rusting up would defiantly be a concern of mine. They use a stupid amount of salt around here. Fluid film? Maybe I've been under a rock, I've never heard of it, who makes it? Short of an air suspension the 9k's seem like a great option the more I think of it. I do a lot of hauling and towing so that would be a nice luxury.

Curt

Quick Reply: Shocks