1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gauges installed temporarily before paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges installed temporarily before paint

fired it up for the first time, got the timing set, some minor tuning on the EFI setup (getting idle speed and TPS voltage set). Runs pretty good.

Have to replace the thermostat, get seat belts in it, new vehicle speed sensor (old one that was in the trans leaks), put the doors on it and take it for a test drive.

Then it is off to get painted.

Thanks to everyone for all the knowledge and information on how to disassemble and reassemble these trucks. It has been an invaluable information source.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice! What brand is that?

The stock set up had the speedo on the right and the instrument gauges on the left.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Nice! What brand is that? The stock set up had the speedo on the right and the instrument gauges on the left.
Ahhh. Thanks. Couldn't remember. There is enough wiring to put them on either side.
They are new vintage USA gauges. Purchased from Midwest early ford. Came with all senders etc. Everything appears to work well. Haven't tested the speedo yet. An inch of snow on the ground today.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also see that your choke cable is missing. It goes where the red light is installed. My 52 is missing the throttle cable, but has the choke. In place of the throttle cable, the PO installed a switch for the electrical fuel pump.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I was thinkng about using new vintage gauges in my truck as well. Do they work well?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I also see that your choke cable is missing. It goes where the red light is installed. My 52 is missing the throttle cable, but has the choke. In place of the throttle cable, the PO installed a switch for the electrical fuel pump.
Yes, I pulled the choke **** out and put an alternator charge indicator light/activation circuit there. No use for a choke with fuel injection. Don't really need the throttle cable either, I'll probably just leave that there.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
I was thinkng about using new vintage gauges in my truck as well. Do they work well?
Everything seems to work great. The only thing I can't say for sure is the speedo as I haven't had a chance to drive or program it. The wiring is pretty nice, 2 weather pack connectors with each gauge with straightforward instructions.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Dang! You are done??? But you just got on here like in 2013 sometime?
Man I wish you were my neighbor! I just want to hear mine start!

Stupid Job I have... All work...no play...makes me frustrated...

Well....nice job Ryan...enjoy it and let us know how she shakes out!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
I have the NVU gauges in mine for about 2 years now they work well and the best thing was they fit in the original dash cutouts on my 1952.

They are pricey, and when I got them there were pricier. I now see them selling in Jegs, Summit and other places. They do come with a 4 year warranty. The style shown (above) came out just after I bought mine and they are about the closest modern gauge you can buy that look similar to our orginals. Min are the 3 n 1 with the Tach, below. The advantage of the model I got also had all the turn signal and high beam lights built into the gauges.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=108289

Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 AM
oscajo
Senior User
Got mine from Hot Rod`s

Should look great installed!

Name:  13634057963_a73c725223_z.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  113.2 KB

Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Originally Posted by bryanknie
I have the NVU gauges in mine for about 2 years now they work well and the best thing was they fit in the original dash cutouts on my 1952.

They are pricey, and when I got them there were pricier. I now see them selling in Jegs, Summit and other places. They do come with a 4 year warranty. The style shown (above) came out just after I bought mine and they are about the closest modern gauge you can buy that look similar to our orginals. Min are the 3 n 1 with the Tach, below. The advantage of the model I got also had all the turn signal and high beam lights built into the gauges.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=108289
Yeah I was between those and the ones I got. I decided to go with the more factory look, but still wanted the tach (even though it is small). I really do like the look of these gauges and I agree, the fact that they fit right in the hole nice and snugly is awesome.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
Yes I went back and forth with yours several times too and also the newer ones shown above that started the thread. I originally was going Autometer as they were a "known" brand but you need to enlarge the stock dash holes. I settled on the ones I got due to the larger tach and all of the turn signals and high beam lights are intergrated.

I built mine to run and have been running it. Been to all 4 Turkey Run shows in 2 years, each trip was 600 miles round trip, to Tampa several times 500 miles round trip each trip and a couple of runs for Charity in the FL Keys. Trying to wear it all back out.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
How hard is it to read that tach ryan?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM
ryans88gt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
How hard is it to read that tach ryan?
It has the same sweep as an ~3" gauge. So I wouldn't be using it to drag race or anything, but I can tell + or - 200 rpm what engine speed I am at. I have seen similar size tachs in some stock applications. If I had a manual transmission I would probably go with the 3 in 1 gauges honestly. Since mine is an auto and I wanted factory type style, this is good enough for a tach.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let me know how the speedo setup goes, also assuming they are backlit, how do they read at night? I have these in my compare pile still due to their price compared to the other more modern but easily visible gauges.

Quick Reply: Gauges installed temporarily before paint