Sponsored by: Moser

vent smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jkrezdorn
Hi folks, just bought a 2016 F250 Super Duty 6.2 Gas. Coming from a 2004 (h3vy 2500.
Right now at 750 miles I am noticing a strange smell (melting plastic/ hot circuit board?) as soon as I start the truck...
Welcome to the forum, jkrezdorn. I'm glad you've already been in touch with your dealership and will be having this odor checked out soon. I can assist by escalating this issue to your regional customer service manager. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's that case, send an email to custserv@ford.com with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. This email address isn't actively monitored, so be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. That's how I'll know to go and look for it.

Crystal

Old 01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
jkrezdorn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, jkrezdorn. I'm glad you've already been in touch with your dealership and will be having this odor checked out soon. I can assist by escalating this issue to your regional customer service manager. Since you're a new member, you may not have access to PMs yet. If that's that case, send an email to custserv@ford.com with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. This email address isn't actively monitored, so be sure to put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line and post here once you've sent it. That's how I'll know to go and look for it.

Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for getting in touch with me. The smell after 4 days is no longer happening. I don’t know what it was. It seemed odd as I have used the heat since purchase. I may cancel my appointment as I it seems it will be a waste of my time and the Dealer service dept at Tom Massano Ford. If it does happen again I will make a new appointment.
BTW. What is the manure smell that people on here and myself have noticed in the Ford Focus loaner.

Thanks

Joe

Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 PM
gdub14
New User
Hi everyone, first post. Happened to google "vent smell ford f150", never any mention of manure. I am so glad to see I am not the only one who notices the manure smell. Obviously this is an issue, however, doesn't seem to have been resolved...?

Any updates?
Crystal - has ford acknowledge this issue yet, and come up with the solution?
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:35 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by gdub14
Hi everyone, first post. Happened to google "vent smell ford f150", never any mention of manure. I am so glad to see I am not the only one who notices the manure smell. Obviously this is an issue, however, doesn't seem to have been resolved...?

Any updates?
Crystal - has ford acknowledge this issue yet, and come up with the solution?
Thanks!
Welcome to the site, gdub14! I'm not a technician, so I don't have access to information regarding repairs or engineering details; your dealership's service manager will be the best resource for this kind of info. What's your truck's model year/mileage?

Crystal

Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 AM
gdub14
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the site, gdub14! I'm not a technician, so I don't have access to information regarding repairs or engineering details; your dealership's service manager will be the best resource for this kind of info. What's your truck's model year/mileage?

Crystal
Thanks Crystal, so if I go to my dealership they should know about this issue? Has Ford acknowledged this is an issue?
I have a 2013 FX4 with 37,000km. I am in Canada

Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by gdub14
Thanks Crystal, so if I go to my dealership they should know about this issue? Has Ford acknowledged this is an issue?
I have a 2013 FX4 with 37,000km. I am in Canada
Hi gdub14,

Since you're in Canada, I recommend reaching out to my Canadian colleagues here on the forum. Here's a link to their profile: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: FordServiceCA They'll be in the best position to help you out.

Crystal

Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 AM
jkrezdorn
New User
Manure smell

Crystal,

Thanks for getting in touch with me. The smell after 4 days is no longer happening. I don’t know what it was. It seemed odd as I have used the heat since purchase. I may cancel my appointment as I it seems it will be a waste of my time and the Dealer service dept at Tom Massano Ford. If it does happen again I will make a new appointment.
BTW. What is the manure smell that people on here and myself have noticed in the Ford Focus loaner.

Thanks

Joe
Crystal,

The manure smell is now what I smell. Today it was gone. Yesterday after being damp and raining all day I had the Manure smell. Ford must know what this is. I do not have time to have the truck dropped off only to be told they don't know what it is. My time is valuable and I need my truck. Please find the issue and let me know. Then I will take the time for repair.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal,

The manure smell is now what I smell. Today it was gone. Yesterday after being damp and raining all day I had the Manure smell. Ford must know what this is. I do not have time to have the truck dropped off only to be told they don't know what it is. My time is valuable and I need my truck. Please find the issue and let me know. Then I will take the time for repair.
Hi jkrezdorn,

I'm not the best resource for diagnostic information since I'm not a technician, but I'd still be happy to get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. Just reach out to me with the details I listed above. Post here once you've sent them; that's how I'll know to go and look for your message. If you'd prefer, you can contact my colleagues at the Customer Relationship Center; they can be reached at 1-800-392-3673 and have the same ability to assist that I do.

Crystal

Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Russ5879
New User
Smell

2014 F150 4-door 62000 miles

I can only describe it as a chemical odor, specifically "silicone" it comes and goes in strength of smell, right now it's the worst ever, only on start up of vehicle, but I tend to think that it's still there, gets diluted after the initial blast, but the chemical is still in the air but at a lower level,,,has anyone tried an air monitor device.

I have had a breathing problem for 17 months now (I'm a very active and healthy person) I have been diagnosed with a severe respiratory problem, test show that I have the breathing capabilities of a 70+ year old, I'm 45--no lung scarring but the issue will not resolve it self,,,the reason I mention this is that this odor has been the only constant thing for the past two years that I'm in contact with

I don't want a GMC truck and I don't want a new Ford truck now,,,but with all this circumstantial evidence floating around I am having to get rid of this vehicle.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed a musty smell on startup coming from the AC. It seems to go away after a few minutes. I have been told my 2013 Lariat does not have an internal filter. So, nothing to change there. I only get the smell in the summer months. ??

Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 AM
bakon
Elder User
its there in mine too. just on start up of the a/c system.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
I've had the strange A/C smell too....comes after A/C first comes on and seemed to last for 2-5 minutes give or take.

While at the car wash a couple of weeks ago, I used the hand held wand to wash the windshield area and then pretty heavily across the vent opening at the back of the hood...just below the windshield. For whatever reason, this seemed to take care of the A/C smell....I believe my smell might have been coming from something down in the vent area and the washing cleaned it out.

It has been completely gone ever since the washing. Absolutely no smell when turning on the A/C and no smell during any period of time it's on.

Might be worth a try for some of you that have the A/C smell....and certainly probably cheaper than almost anything else you might try to remedy the situation.