Sponsored by: Moser

vent smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vent smell

Hi, I have a 2013 f150 with 4,300 miles and just a few weeks ago started getting a plastic/manure type smell when the heat is on and seems to go away after a while. Have an appt with dealer next week,they smelled it as well. Anyone seem to have this happen? Doesn't seem to be there with a/c on, thanks. P.S. I don't live on the farms or near one.He He

Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen a thread about it in a ling time but you're not alone. It happened once or twice to me at about the same miles and hasn't happened again in at least a year.

Edit: looked back at an old post and was reminded that the smell I experienced was a nasty chemical smell, not manure. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...that-odor.html

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Thanks, I just read on another site with many complaints of that smell of "band aids" from the 2 driver side vents. I did find the connector for the defrost under the dash to have a oil of somekind. I wonder if that can be a issue?, Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyrwe
Hi, I have a 2013 f150 with 4,300 miles and just a few weeks ago started getting a plastic/manure type smell when the heat is on and seems to go away after a while. Have an appt with dealer next week,they smelled it as well. Anyone seem to have this happen? Doesn't seem to be there with a/c on, thanks. P.S. I don't live on the farms or near one.He He
Heading to the dealership is a great next step, crazyrwe; I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved as well. To make that happen, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest!

Crystal

Old 04-15-2014, 07:30 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did find the connector for the defrost under the dash to have a oil of somekind. I wonder if that can be a issue?, Thanks again.
Is this an electrical connector that is housed in the ventilation ductwork? Freon leak will leave oily residue and it is a health hazard.

That stuff will not go away. I pulled ductwork out of my old Firebird and found a nasty black sludge all through the pipes. It was really gross!!! A/C leaked out into the air supply. And I can't believe I was breathing it for who knows how long. I had to remove all foam strips and clean every piece of ducting by hand with Simple Green.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Dino1963
New User
Hi there crazyrwe!
I have had the exact same problem as yourself. I currently have a 2013 Ford F150 XLT at the Ford dealership near my home and the service technician did agree with me about the "manure smell" A real mystery. Would be interested in hearing what your outcome is.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
JJJMN
Trailering
WOW,, I'm so glade I did a check on the site and found your post. After my 2013 F150 Supercrew FX4 was nearly totaled. I got it back and a few weeks later noticed that exact smell. All I could think of was some punk at the shop had dropped something into the drivers side vent. At first I thought it was on the seat belt. Well, you saved me from a trip to the shop on that one. Never noticed until a couple of months ago. Startup with heater on. 10 Minutes later you don't notice it. Truck has 17,000 miles on it.

Please, sombody find out what the hell this is from.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Dino1963
New User
Originally Posted by JJJMN
WOW,, I'm so glade I did a check on the site and found your post. After my 2013 F150 Supercrew FX4 was nearly totaled. I got it back and a few weeks later noticed that exact smell. All I could think of was some punk at the shop had dropped something into the drivers side vent. At first I thought it was on the seat belt. Well, you saved me from a trip to the shop on that one. Never noticed until a couple of months ago. Startup with heater on. 10 Minutes later you don't notice it. Truck has 17,000 miles on it.

Please, sombody find out what the hell this is from.
Hi JJJMN,
I have had my truck at the Ford dealership for 2 days to find out where the odour is coming from and after running diagnostics "a code"has come back. They are to contact Ford Canada and/or US to find out what that indicates is wrong. I'm finding this whole process frustrating. I have been a loyal Ford customer for over 20 years and have never had an issue with any of my previous trucks. I hope I get some answers soon.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Welp, looks like I'm not the only one. Mine has recently been making an "odd" smell also. 10k miles on truck. Only for the first few minutes with the HVAC on. On my way home I will blast the heat with the windows down to see if that clears it up at all for next time.

Please keep us posted all who are having dealer serviced items

Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Dino1963
New User
"manure smell" from vents in Ford F150

Originally Posted by Robbgt
Welp, looks like I'm not the only one. Mine has recently been making an "odd" smell also. 10k miles on truck. Only for the first few minutes with the HVAC on. On my way home I will blast the heat with the windows down to see if that clears it up at all for next time.

Please keep us posted all who are having dealer serviced items
This is just an update to the progress on "manure smell" for my Ford F150 XLT. Based on the diagnostics that were done on my truck the service department at the Ford dealership will be starting, I assume to take the A/C apart on Monday.
Hopefully they will discover where the odour is coming from or offer me some solution since I am concerned about the odour possible posing a health risk to my family and I.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
I hope you get more than i did at the dealership Dino, mine was a day wasted it seems. They couldn't get the smell I guess or know nothing to fix it just yet. Atleast I'm on the books as getting it checked incase something goes haywire.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Dino1963
New User
I hope you get more than i did at the dealership Dino, mine was a day wasted it seems. They couldn't get the smell I guess or know nothing to fix it just yet. Atleast I'm on the books as getting it checked incase something goes haywire.
Hi crazyrwe,
I got my truck back from the Ford dealership today after 6 days due to the Easter long weekend. They said they took the A/C fan and components apart and found no mold or anywhere that the smell could be coming from. They told me that they "disinfected" everything and put it back together. When I got into my truck it now smells like a cross between hospital disinfectant and pain thinner. I will air it out for next few days and see what happens.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Randall1984
Junior User
I do not know if this will help y'all's smell, but my brothers truck had a similar smell as well as a burnt smell. He took a box of Downey dryer vent sheets and put in the truck and some under the hood by air intakes and in the vents. The whole box. After about a week to ten days the smell went away. Go figure. It might smell like clean sheets but it did get rid of the smell. I thought it was a crazy thing to do but what do ya got to loose 5 or 6 bucks for a box of sheets?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
True Randall, not much to lose and can't hurt it seems. I already have a christmas tree air freshener stuffed in the one vent, but being the 2 drivers vents i'll need to break down and spend another dollar for another tree.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 PM
cub129
Senior User
My 2013 SCrew does the exact same thing (manure smell) on start up. 16K on the clock. Very annoying and somewhat embarrassing with folks from work in the truck.

Has to be some plastic/rubber part "cooking off" in the dash when it sits for a few hours...buy MAN, COME ON....manure smell out the vents????????

Will follow this thread.....

Quick Reply: vent smell