Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[How-To] LED Headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[How-To] LED Headlight conversion

Got the idea to try these from this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lacements.html

Ordered a set from LifetimeLED (thanks for the link, Evan_P!)

9007 LED headlights

and got a shipping notification the same day, with the lights arriving maybe a week later. This is probably the easiest mod ever, all I used was a sawzall for the retainer rings.

Here's the box:

Heatsink and fan:

Stock bulb retainer is 1 3/4 long... not gonna work so I cut it down to size. 3/4 inch would be fine, I just happened to end up a fraction over that.

Twist the ring off the lamp module, put the cut-down retainer ring on, and reassemble:

Mount the driver modules (sorry, forgot that pic, but I just zip tied them nearby til I can get some small screws) and install the lamp modules.

Here's a shot with the lens off the housing... I need to buy new housings but for now I pulled them apart and cleaned them up a bit.

Here's a night shot on a country road. This is using the factory headlight housings. I wanted to do a video but even in Full HD mode my camera just couldn't capture an accurate video of the light patterns:

Amp draw on high beam, this is the DC common wire in the factory harness feeding the driver module, so this current is for driver and LED's combined. Of course the other headlight is the same:

Voltage at the factory harness connector, on high beam:

Heatsink temperature on high beam after about 20 minutes of sitting in the driveway with the engine idling:

I also had a picture of the driver module temperature but accidentally deleted it from my phone. The driver module was reading about 10 degrees cooler than the heat sink on the back of the lamp module.

As I read from others that have this setup, there ain't a lot of difference between high beam and low beam. 1 LED is lit for low beam, both for high, but the result is mostly that high beam makes the beam pattern in front of the truck *slightly* wider, no extra distance is gained. This is acceptable to me since the lows put out enough light already.

I've had these installed for 4 nights now, and have yet to be flashed by oncoming drivers.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Looks pretty good. 30w of LED is roughly equivalent to 120w of halogen so there should be enough lamp power there. Did you compare the LED lamp to the halogen in terms of the physical location of the elements referenced from the mounting base? The depth of the element inside the reflector housing will affect the throw and beam width, if they are different that may explain why the LEDs don't throw as far and there may be a way to fine tune it with shims at the base for example.

P.S. It also looks like the LED bulb projects from 2 sides instead of 360 deg like a halogen so I would think you want the elements facing the sides of the reflector instead of the top and bottom like you have in the pic. Is it possible to rotate the element or is it keyed to the housing and only goes in 1 way?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Conanski
Looks pretty good. 30w of LED is roughly equivalent to 120w of halogen so there should be enough lamp power there. Did you compare the LED lamp to the halogen in terms of the physical location of the elements referenced from the mounting base? The depth of the element inside the reflector housing will affect the throw and beam width, if they are different that may explain why the LEDs don't throw as far and there may be a way to fine tune it with shims at the base for example.

P.S. It also looks like the LED bulb projects from 2 sides instead of 360 deg like a halogen so I would think you want the elements facing the sides of the reflector instead of the top and bottom like you have in the pic. Is it possible to rotate the element or is it keyed to the housing and only goes in 1 way?
No, I didn't measure the depth but I just might do that here in a bit.

The LED's are keyed into the housing, just like the halogens were. Clocking them 90° might be interesting. The way they are now, the top LED is lit on low beam, which causes the top of the housing to reflect the light downwards. Highbeam lights both diodes and I think that might be where most of the light from the second LED goes (upwards, not bad if you need to read highway signs) but I'll have to verify that with the 'ol eyeball method.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by dixie460
The way they are now, the top LED is lit on low beam, which causes the top of the housing to reflect the light downwards. Highbeam lights both diodes and I think that might be where most of the light from the second LED goes (upwards,
Ah yes makes sense. I guess if that's how the reflector is designed to work that is the best orientation for the diodes.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:17 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Alright well here's how the LED modules compare to plain Sylvania 9007 series halogens. It don't look like it, but the 2 are actually lined up center to center in the pics, it's just that the heatsink on the LED throws the depth perception off and maked it appear closer.

High beam LED

Low beam LED

Side by side. Low beam LED is facing halogen bulb.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
eagle275
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Hope to see more of this.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by eagle275
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Hope to see more of this.
Oh you're welcome eagle. All y'all are welcome. I do what I can to help out around here, so that I might get the same help in return when I need it. I don't mind taking time to post pics, share experiences, or offer advice. It's what forums are for!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Thinking about adding this to my list of winter mods, Dixie. Looks like you've had yours installed for about 6 months now. Still happy with them?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Yes I am. I have a better camera now and have also swapped to aftermarket clear headlight housings. I'll take some pictures and maybe attempt another video.

As far as durability, I haven't done anything to the system since I installed it except for once a few weeks ago after I went mudding I checked to see if the fans were still working, which they were. There was some concerns about the fans that I read in other reviews, but they hardly move any air (and they never have), I bet everything would be fine even if they did fail but it doesn't matter since the entire setup is lifetime warranty anyway.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 PM
mefast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a cool modification! Would it be possible to get a picture of the front of your truck at night with the lights on? It'd like to see what oncoming traffic sees.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Hey guys, I didn't forget about y'all. I'll get some pictures when I'm out one night after this rain blows out of here. Been pouring on and off all week and although I tried to take a few pictures tonight it wasn't happening because the roads are soaked and the glare from the water makes it look like I'm one of those people that freakin' blind oncoming traffic. Not the case... I've had these for what, six months now? Still ain't been flashed once!

Old 09-27-2014, 09:23 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you!
You're welcome!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dixie460
Hey guys, I didn't forget about y'all. I'll get some pictures when I'm out one night after this rain blows out of here. Been pouring on and off all week ...............I'm one of those people that freakin' blind oncoming traffic. Not the case... I've had these for what, six months now? Still ain't been flashed once!
Yea, where did all the rain come from! I'm flooded now... pond went up 3' and is over flowing over night!

Anyway, do those LED lamps use the reflector of the lamp housing to reflect the light? My 89 F250's reflectors are gone and they give not much light out. IF those bulbs don't need the housing reflector, I will get them!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Yea, where did all the rain come from! I'm flooded now... pond went up 3' and is over flowing over night!

Anyway, do those LED lamps use the reflector of the lamp housing to reflect the light? My 89 F250's reflectors are gone and they give not much light out. IF those bulbs don't need the housing reflector, I will get them!
Man I don't know, I thought maybe a hurricane was passing by the coast or something.

The LED's do use the reflective portion of the housings, as without them they would just shine up and down relative to vertical, and not project forward at all. I'll try and get some pictures.

Quick Reply: [How-To] LED Headlight conversion