1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hidden Fuel Gauge Completed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden Fuel Gauge Completed

Well just to put an end to my fuel gauge project I'm doing this little write up on the gauge part of the install. (Actually I'm striving for my third green dot kinda like a patch in Scouts but...nothing wrong with trying to do good....shhhhh.)

So here are the parts of the ash tray. The bare metal plate is for gauge mounting and to block off the ash tray hole.

Next is the new plate test fitted into the dash.

Now I've cut the gauge hole in the plate roughly. I'll go back with a dremel and smooth it out some.

Had to make a bracket to hold the gauge in. Also bent it so it would be a little short and hold the gauge in tightly. If you will notice I had to turn the gauge 90 degrees to have room for the mounting tabs. Space didn't allow the tabs to go side to side. Just too narrow.

Here's the panel is assembled to test fit before painting. Rivets were removed so the panel could be painted.

Panel after painting. This is the closest spray can paint I could find to my truck color. It's going to be hidden so its not THAT big of a deal.

And here it is mounted in the dash. I'll be getting some new hardware to replace the old mounting screws that I don't like so much. Also will paint the rivets red to match.

To get the original door back on and cover things up I disassembled the ashtry. The door slips out of the groove in the bottom and is held in by the screw on the ****. I put some magnets on the door to hold it on. They have no problem staying on bumping down the road. When I need a quick look I just pull the door off and check out the gauge. It's a snap. Looks factory and was easy to do.

Thanks for looking!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey thats a really cool idea! Functionality without losing the original look! Have you thought about adding a hinge of some sort so that you dont need to take the cover completely off to see the gauge?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Hey thats a really cool idea! Functionality without losing the original look! Have you thought about adding a hinge of some sort so that you dont need to take the cover completely off to see the gauge?
A hinge was the original plan but this is so easy I'm counting it as done. Thanks for the reply Nick!!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep
A hinge was the original plan but this is so easy I'm counting it as done. Thanks for the reply Nick!!
Ah ok that makes sense. Always better to adhere to the kiss method.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a bad temp gauge on the instrument panel and have an add on below the dash. It is the only non-stock look on my dash. This would change that to give it a stock look. Any problem with others using your design or a similar set-up?

Bruce

Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by abeagle
I have a bad temp gauge on the instrument panel and have an add on below the dash. It is the only non-stock look on my dash. This would change that to give it a stock look. Any problem with others using your design or a similar set-up?

Bruce
Heck no I don't mind. I've gotten so much from this board I'm just trying to give back. Here's a tip I didn't mention. To make the new plate just lay the part that unscrews from the dash down on some 18ga sheet metal and trace it. Mark the mounting holes and all. I used my Dewalt jigsaw with a sheet metal blade to cut it....like butter. Good luck with it.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Lightbulb

Now you can get a switch that let's the stock gauge read either full or empty - depending on who's in the passenger seat.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Lol....that's a great idea.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty slick thinking, my only problem is if it wasn't in front of my face I would still forget to chack it.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
cool idea. Not putting a light in it?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
cool idea. Not putting a light in it?
The gauge is lighted. Do you mean a low fuel light? If so then no I'm not planning on it.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool! Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess if that works for you...okay. Nice work. However, I don't think I understand the reasoning for hiding the gauge. Why would you not want to have the gauge in plain sight all the time? Out of sight is out of mind and I'd always want to be cognizant of my fuel level...

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I guess if that works for you...okay. Nice work. However, I don't think I understand the reasoning for hiding the gauge. Why would you not want to have the gauge in plain sight all the time? Out of sight is out of mind and I'd always want to be cognizant of my fuel level...
Vern,
It's a fuel gauge not a tach or speedo. I don't fill up but once every couple weeks so I don't hardly have to ride down the road looking at my gauge. I'll check it after a few days just to see. It takes a whopping 2 seconds to look. It beats the heck out of what i had which was nothing. Don't send me to the "how many forum members does it take to screw in a light bulb" thread...lol. I was simply showing what works for ME. And to further my point....I DO NOT want a modern Autometer gauge showing in my truck. I had it on the shelf and it saved me buying a $60 gauge. It's removable and takes 5 minutes to return to original. Seems like a win win to me. And to further my point again...."out of sight out of mind" is not in my nature. I'm very detailed. Nothing leaves my mind unfortunately. I take meds for that but they are still there DANGIT!!!
Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, there you go. Being a darksider I would think nothing of having a modern Autometer gauge in view and recycling an ash tray is always a win-win!

Quick Reply: Hidden Fuel Gauge Completed