Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Elder User

61steven is starting off with a positive reputation.
Water-meth Carb

I was hoping to find some guys on here who have done a water-methanol injection setup for their carb'd engines. I have a 1979 f150 with a mildly built 400 that I would like to spice up. Currently it requires 93 octane to avoid detonation.
I would like to be able to use cheap gas and gain a bit of power at the same time.

The kits I have looked at seem fairly straight forward and simple. Just a tank, pump, and pluming. Some have a control box to tell the pump when to kick in. I have seen DIY jobs that use the vacuum, but I feel that would not have the pressure to fully atomize the mixture.

What have you guys done to your rigs and what do you think of water-meth injection?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.
I haven't done anything with carbs but I just installed this on my truck - imgur: the simple image sharer

If you think you may not have enough vacuum that may be an issue as even my system uses vacuum to activate the pump from the computer. With a naturally aspirated motor you will have a low amount of boost at WOT, maybe 1??? Not much room for the system as I know it. However, I'd suggest calling Snow Performance and ask to talk to Josh, he is who educated me on my kit and if you explain your setup he may be able to help you identify exactly what you can use with your setup.

Also, you can use a pure water system (no meth) and not need to tune the carb again. If you had pinging you could use this to get rid of it. If you have meth in the mixture you'll probably want to make some adjustments to the tune on your carb as meth(anol) is combustible.
Red, 1992 F150, 351W, E4OD, Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires
Old 04-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Postmaster

beartracks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been using a SnowPerformance system on a similar engine for a couple of years. Almost as good as sex.

1977 F-100 Ranger XLT,400,C6,GV
Mod's Listed in Gallery

Click Here To Help Support FTE
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Postmaster

I've been using a SnowPerfomance naturally asperated unit for a couple of years. Almost as good as sex.

You have to be carefull it doesn't run when the engine doesn't. It's triggered by an adjustable vacuum switch.

Mod's Listed in Gallery

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.RIKIL has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartracks View Post
I've been using a SnowPerfomance naturally asperated unit for a couple of years. Almost as good as sex.

You have to be carefull it doesn't run when the engine doesn't. It's triggered by an adjustable vacuum switch.
I think your engine shouldn't be under boost when the motor is off. Otherwise, something in terribly wrong.

I have mine connected to a relay that is switched on when the motor turns on. I used the same signal that everything else uses, like the coil, PCM, etc.
Red, 1992 F150, 351W, E4OD, Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires
Old 05-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Postmaster

Naturally asperated. Activated by vacuum. You have none at engine stop.

Mod's Listed in Gallery

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 AM
Elder User

speedwrench72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
water meth is not a power adder, it allows one to run more advance and higher compression, with crap fuel, the meth is saturated with water in solution, will not burn with a match, it cools the air charge, witch allows the nitrogen in the air charge to expand at a better rate. too much WM will excessively cool the charge thus reducing HP. HIGH SCHOOL SICENCE. WHEN the throttle is at idle or near idle the system is off, when vacuum drops (as you push on the go peddle) the system comes on, this threshold is what you tune on some systems
Wanted 93 crew cab f350 idi... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voteing on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-Armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin... My Boy is a MARINE.... 72 F250 390 HI BOY 4speed.... 91 E350 7.3 idi..KF7POL
Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Posting Guru

BruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to beholdBruteFord is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61steven View Post
I have a 1979 f150 with a mildly built 400 that I would like to spice up. Currently it requires 93 octane to avoid detonation.
Before any of that, figure out why it needs 93 to not detonate? It's relatively hard to build a 400 with high compression so unless you have had a serious engine built with something over 9.5 CR, and it's detonating then something is very wrong. Even if it is detonating a ratio as high as 10.5 should be tunable.
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ―Samuel Adams
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM
Elder User

speedwrench72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have built many engines, only the ones people wanted stock cams did I worry about cr when one puts a good cam in motor it lowers dynamic cr and usually you don,t have trouble with spark knock or pre det
Wanted 93 crew cab f350 idi... Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voteing on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-Armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin... My Boy is a MARINE.... 72 F250 390 HI BOY 4speed.... 91 E350 7.3 idi..KF7POL
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection