Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual tank problems switching to one 38 gallon tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Ratherbeefishin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual tank problems switching to one 38 gallon tank

I have an 88 ford f250 with a 19 gallon midship tank and a 11 gallon rear tank. Due to persistent dual function reservoir problems I was just gonna go with one 38 gallon tank. I just wonder if it will fit? I heard it will after i relocate the spare tire. Can I use my fuel pump out of the 19 gallon or 11 gallon for that tank? Where do I get a filler neck that would work? Will I need a single function reservoir? If anyone can be of help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all that talked me through the 3G alternator conversion, this site is great!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 PM
88_F0RD
Senior User
one 38 gallon tank

Originally Posted by Ratherbeefishin
I have an 88 ford f250 with a 19 gallon midship tank and a 11 gallon rear tank. Due to persistent dual function reservoir problems I was just gonna go with one 38 gallon tank. I just wonder if it will fit? I heard it will after i relocate the spare tire. Can I use my fuel pump out of the 19 gallon or 11 gallon for that tank? Where do I get a filler neck that would work? Will I need a single function reservoir? If anyone can be of help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all that talked me through the 3G alternator conversion, this site is great!

The gas tank install for me would have been too time consuming.

I will explain some from what I was told by who installed the tank actually.

I purchased the tank from JC Whitney is made by Spectre. and comes with a kit that includes a extension for dropping the rear tank down.

LMC Truck and Bronco Graveyard have the 38 gallon tanks also

I also ordered a new set of straps because the shipping was free over $100 and the straps were somewhere around $20.

You have to cut the spare tire bracket off the frame with a angle grinder. for the tank to fit.

I relocated the tire into the bed using a BMC in bed truck mount. they sell the in bed tire mount /carrier in the LMC truck magazine also.

The garage that put the tank in said the only problem they had was modifying the sending unit, which was because I got the one for the "mid tank" and not the back tank. They modified the one I gave them though, and it works perfect.

I read the paper that came with the tank and you had to cut the sending unit and solder it, with the extension included in the kit, for the sending unit to fit into the bottom of the tank where the unit would sit at the bottom and use all the gas in the tank.

The only other thing you need is one or two inline fuel filters to take the place of the front tank.

I thought the reason for replacing was because both tanks were rusted through, but they weren't not, but they both leaked gas, and neither tank's sending unit worked.

Now the sending unit works , and I just leave the switch flipped to the back tank to run.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Ratherbeefishin
New User
Ok so if i bought a fuel pump kit for a 38 gallon tank i would be fine?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:44 PM
88_F0RD
Senior User
not sure

Ok so if i bought a fuel pump kit for a 38 gallon tank i would be fine?

not sure, the sending unit wasn't expensive with the fuel pump already installed. I got it from advance auto. here is the link.

Airtex Fuel Pump Sender Assembly E2104S: Shop the best Fuel Pump at Advance Auto Parts

I just bought the wrong one, I thought it was cheaper than $112 though, this was back in November. This is the same brand I used though. Its a good quality plug and play type of sending unit. no wires to modify like with some sending unit assemblies.

The link I posted I believe is for the rear back steel type tank. (when I bought it I bought the front tank but it was still easily modified to fit and function.) (they also had to modify the fuel line going to the sending unit because the way the fuel tank sending unit was facing because it was the wrong one, but it got done.) (that was because I purchased the sending unit for the front tank and the front tank unit faces a opposite way.) so the back fuel tank gas line was modified to fit the front type of sending unit to supply fuel to the motor.

A fuel pump is pretty much like a "fuel vaccum cleaner" that sends fuel though the fuel line to the injector.

I've even used a fuel pump hooked to a battery with a 3/8 hose on one end and the other to drain a entire fuel tank from the fuel filler neck out to a waiting gas tank, when I had to empty a gas tank, to lower the tank, that way the tank would be less heavy, and full of gas, that way I wouldn't get fuel on me or in my face or on the ground.

It says there is two fuel pumps, so if while doing this you were wanting to change both fuel pumps, the OEM system works fine, no need for a 38 gallon fuel pump. the kit that comes with the tank was designed around the OEM (original style) system.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Ratherbeefishin
New User
Ok so i think my rear tank pump is ok could i use that in the new tank with no modifications?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM
88_F0RD
Senior User
modifying

Ok so i think my rear tank pump is ok could i use that in the new tank with no modifications?

so your going to have to separate the fuel pump that's on the sending unit inside the gas tank.

your going to have to modify the sending unit for the back tank.

so if you're going to reuse your fuel pump that's ok.

because your going to have to take it apart anyway to modify it, to extend it, in order for it to pick up all the excess fuel in the bottom of the tank.

the way mine is setup, it will run until the dial stops on E!

the instructions give no photos on how to modify.

trying not to make this complicated, but I outsourced this job. haha. to many instructions and not enough time.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 PM
88_F0RD
Senior User
one tank

the garage that installed it said that gas tanks both leaking was a common problem.

I just chose a 38 gallon tank because I thought it would be needed, and combined the two tanks only hold 33 gallons.

But also,

the garage said I could pick a tank to remove, either the front tank or the rear tank (just keep one stock tank)

and replace the tank with a inline fuel filter, either front tank or back tank.

the filter takes the place of the gas tank.

and that would solve the problem.

I only fill mine with 17.5 gallons of gas anyways.

no need really for a 38 gallon tank.

now that I know that it was because of both the tanks causing the problem,

I could have saved a bunch of money by keeping one stock tank and replacing the other with a fuel filter, no modifications whatsoever. (expect for the inline fuel filter of course.)