6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

downsized to f150 my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downsized to f150 my thoughts

my '11 superduty has been gone for over 2 weeks now. I thought you guys might like knowing a comparison. some of you will want to chime in and say I am wrong to that I say whatever. Its just my opinion and nothing more, you have yours.

lets first start with the interior, The cab of the f150 is SOOO much better, why lets get down to it. first the seating position in the super duty you ride around jacked up way too high in the seat. People with moonroof option are often complaining their head is about to hit the ceiling. The problem is a massive hump in the floor under the seat on the superduty. I have no idea why its there looking under the truck there has to be a way to get rid of that. The steering box is a much faster ratio on the f150, think less like driving a school bus. next, the gear shifter DOES NOT block the 4wd selector. Someone made a huge blunder with this on the superduty. YES I used 4 WD quite a bit and often times I shift in and out of it, I NEED to see the switch visually. I miss the massive fold down cup holder on the SD. the dash tray is smaller on the f150. moving to the back, f150 has a flat floor which is really nice and actually MORE leg room. When I sold my SD the door panels had that silvery plastic that surrounded the door switches and curved over the edge on the doors. the problem with this stuff is it was very prone to scratches, on the f150 this has been replaced with black or tan and the silvery covered plastic is gone. That is great because it will not look crappy all scratched up. the headrest ratchet adjust on the f150 VERY NICE. The f 150 XLT stereo flat out kicks the living crap out of the XLT SD stereo!!!!! it sounds amazing.

on to the exterior, the f150 has a massive relatively uncreased door, this causes the doors to kinda sound thin when you shut them The SD has sheetmetal that seems very sturdy and the doors close with a more secure sound. you get nearly 2.5" more bed depth on the f150 very nice. the f150 has the backup camera located under the ford emblem, I think the SD was better in the tailgate latch bezel, less road spray from rain.

So how does it all work together, the sound deadening in the f150 is so vastly superior to the SD its not even in the same sentence. The ride quality of the f150 is again SOOOOOOO much better its almost indescribable how much better it is. you don't get rocked back and forth on driveway approachs. The steering box is faster and more nimble on the f150. in the past the diesel had a huge fuel mileage advantage over gas trucks, used to be a gas half tons got 13 maybe 14 and like 7mpg towing. gone is that advantage. lets face it yeah there are guys that will claim my 6.7 gets 25 mpg. The reality is because of regens if we are being honest the 6.7 can't ever put together a WHOLE tank full of good fuel mileage. yes I could punch the instant reset and get 22 mpg for a short while. But if you take a sample of a whole tank with a mix of city and highway I was probably just over 15mpg and realistically 16.5 on the highway. that was with 3.31 gears in the SD. now in the same conditions I am 18 and 20 mpg with the f150. Even more impressive is I am essentially matching the SD towing!!! It might be less but its within in 10% of the SD. last fill up I saved $50 bucks in one fill up between cheaper gas and more mileage. that is money in my pocket.

conclusion if you are a soccer dad that drives a SD you are crazy!!! unless you absolutely have to have a SD for load compacity you are crazy choosing it over an f150. I even find myself being less agitated driving the silkly smooth quiet f150. to me its clear and I said this before ford has a dated design with the SD, it just is its an old truck that is a nearly a 15 yr old design. They must improve the ride, the sound deadening and refine the SD IMO. The other thing is clear is where fords focus is at they sell alot more f150's so that is where they choose to put the money and development into and it shows. I am simply amazed at how much better the driver experience is in the f150, even my wife commented on her first ride, this truck is SO quiet and smooth. There you go some of you will have negative comments whatever I say. keep bouncing around in your SD. If you have to have it this does not apply.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody's bitter.

Sounds like you bought a one ton pickup to compensate rather than to work and were a tad bit surprised that it didn't ride like a Lexus.

Not because of ****ty design. It's because it's a damn truck.

If I could justify the monthly payment, I'd love to roll in a new SD. However, since I can't, I'll keep bouncing around in my 92, which actually doesn't bother me much. Don't see how any of these newer work trucks could be considered harsh.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:36 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
F150 to an F250 or 350 is like comparing apples to oranges. Wonder how the 2015 F150 will compare to this last generation of F150s? That's a more logical comparison. I don't think anyone here doesn't know a 1/2 ton ride is superior to that of a 3/4 or 1 ton. The HD/SD trucks are built for heavy hauling and work. The ride of these heavy haulers, while not as cushy as a 1/2 ton, has come a long way over the last few years. I had a 2011 F250 with heavy service suspension and graduated to a 2014 F350 with standard suspension. The 2011 rode good to me but the 2014 is softer. It's also more quiet (more insulation and sound screen windshield), and smoother (gas engine), has the camera in the emblem vs the one by the latch (no real difference there) and a much better sounding SONY stereo. I prefer the higher seating position of the super duties vs the half ton because I have better visibility, but that's just me. I've seen a lot of complaints about the 4x4 switch location. Yep that's an issue, but it also tells you on the dash that you're in 4x4 hi or low and it's pretty easy to see that the switch is turned to the right as the bottom part of the logo on the switch which is visible while in drive is not completely vertical and tilted toward the passenger side.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:51 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
When I had my F150 for 2004 it was a sweet ride. I upgraded to a 2006 F250. Some of the interior comments were made as well by me and the better half.

The F150 is a more refined ride...but it has a different market and a different purpose for the most of the consumers.

If I did not tow and haul all the junk I do I would downsize to the F150 as well.

Now I will say with the 2013 F350 that I have there are a lot of improvements to the SD line up now. Much quieter, better stereo, better materials inside.

Still a big truck but better.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
First of all dear friend you are not comparing apples to apples. Try comparing the same model year and same model. I had three F150's. 2010, 2011, 2013, all platinums, and yes they are somewhat nicer on the interior and do have a larger floor area in the backseat. However the F250 replaces this with the underseat storage compartment that is lockable that the F150 does not have. If you get the premium sound in the F250 it is exactly the same as the premium sound in the F150.
My 2014 F250 diesel is just as quiet if not quieter than my 2013 F150 was. I had had diesels and had opted to gas after the large price hike when the crapheads took out the sulfur. I missed the power and economy of the diesel. Hence I went back to a diesel and I love it, love it, love it!

Adding as afterthought...... the steering box is not faster or better in the F150! It has EPAS and guess what? So does my 2014 F250! The steering is exactly the same. Like I said before, just compare apples to apples. You should have traded to a new model year F250. You would have liked it just as much as the new F150 you settled for.

Last edited by schrod; 04-13-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: addt'l info/spelling correction
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't need to justify your choice to any of us, it sound more as if you are trying to justify it to yourself.

I went from a F250 V10 manual to a 2013 Eco powered FX4 only to go back to a F350 PSD FX4. I'm pleased with my choice and hope you can be also on down the road.

Don't forget to change your Sig if you can bring yourself to do it.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
I'm glad you are happy with the F-150.

Last year I got very irritated at Ford about a DEF issue and made my mind up to sell the F-250. Drove everything on the market except a Ford product and could not find anything that I liked better that what I had.

So, I choked down my pride and drove a F-150 EcoBoost. Traded in the F-250 and took the upgraded F-150 home. It was a loaded Lariat with moon roof, nav, etc.

I kept the F-150 for about 3 hours before I called the dealership and told them to bring my F-250 back around to the front, I wanted it back.

My observations were that the interior felt cramped, the seats were smaller, the center console was much smaller and while quick the motor lacked the torque that I was used to in the 6.7.

I could probably have lived with those things but I had no place to store my tow slings, tools, emergency kit, etc without some kind of tool box in the bed. The final straw was when I was sitting in my driveway trying to figure out how to organize my "stuff" I noticed the headliner in front of the Moonroof was not connected to the roof of the truck - it was sagging. While not a big deal I was not about to get into a situation that required me taking a vehicle in to the shop on the first day of ownership especially when combined with the other issues/observations mentioned above.

Bottom line is, like you, I am happy with my final decision.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you are correctly outlining the differences between an SD and a 150.

All the positive things you say, and much more you have not said, are true. A 150 is a completely different vehicle than the SD. You're driving an expedition.

You're assertion that the SD should be more like the 150 is where you are off. Ford has zero interest or obligation to try to make an SD more like a 150. Why are you trying to force the round peg in the square hole? You're making a problem/attitude appear out of thin air. It's like making a relationship between beer and water, their both liquids so why can't we just eliminate water and always have beer?

For many of us driving an SD is not a choice or a compromise that forces us away from what we really want. I need a 1 ton truck and therefore to want a smoother ride is completely irrelevant.

I dunno, there's nothing wrong with your post, it's just illogical in my opinion. Maybe the best thing to say is, if you want a 3/4 ton truck to ride like an f150, buy a silverado. Just don't use it like a 3/4 ton truck and it'll be fine.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:48 AM
GridLine
Junior User
Yea man, I've owned two 150's and three 250's, with my last purchase a 6.7. When i owned the 150's I dreamt about the SD. People argue about the ride quality of the SD, I honestly think the 150 road like an old school Lincoln town car. The way I see it,for bigger truck the SD handles way better than the 150. Man, I LOVE my SD.

Its only been 2 weeks, your still having the new car HIGH we all get when we buy something new. I had with a Honda accord I bought and owned for less than a year. (mid life crisis type deal). You'll come to your senses soon and be back to a super duty within 18months.

But, seriously, your opinion is your opinion. I'm not hating. But, you'll see.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Javi1
Senior User
Cool... glad you're as happy with your choice as I am to keep my Super Duty. I don't expect nor want my truck to ride like a car. As you said I use my truck like a truck.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
if you like higher seating the seat is easily raised on the f150. I know full well that there is supposed to be and will be differences in the trucks. You just can't make a HD truck ride as smooth as a half ton. I know that. I will miss the load carrying ability of the SD, but I found myself needing that quite a bit less than I thought. The heaviest load I ever tow is about 7k. but I am normally under 6k when I tow 2-3 times a week.

my point is I think ford could do ALOT better with the SD than they are. There has to be a way to get the ride better somehow. I know some will freak perhaps they need to go IFS like chevy. Ford needs to be more careful about how they lay out the interior in particular the things I complained about. Its clear to me they are THINKING about the f150's ergonomics alot more. the SD IMO seems kinda neglected by ford. dodge has been through 3 complete redesigns, chevy also, ford just gets interior changes, suspension changes and some other tweaks. Its still basically the truck of 1998. I wonder is ford going to continue 2 different body styles?? maybe they need to look at not doing that so they can make a better HD truck. It would be interesting to look at the 2015 f150 and see if there is extra room in the engine bay, we figured this out in 02 with dodge when they made both the old and new body styles. There was a lot of extra engine bay space.

I write this because 3/4 of people around me do not need to be driving super duty's they never use them as they should be, but rather want to look cool driving a big truck. I am sure some guys around here fit that as well. If your one of them your crazy for the added expense and lack of comfort, thats all I am saying. Remember if you frequently need the compacity of the SD none of this applies to you other than what I think ford should do better with.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
if you like higher seating the seat is easily raised on the f150. I know full well that there is supposed to be and will be differences in the trucks. You just can't make a HD truck ride as smooth as a half ton. I know that. I will miss the load carrying ability of the SD, but I found myself needing that quite a bit less than I thought. The heaviest load I ever tow is about 7k. but I am normally under 6k when I tow 2-3 times a week.

my point is I think ford could do ALOT better with the SD than they are. There has to be a way to get the ride better somehow. I know some will freak perhaps they need to go IFS like chevy. Ford needs to be more careful about how they lay out the interior in particular the things I complained about. Its clear to me they are THINKING about the f150's ergonomics alot more. the SD IMO seems kinda neglected by ford. dodge has been through 3 complete redesigns, chevy also, ford just gets interior changes, suspension changes and some other tweaks. Its still basically the truck of 1998. I wonder is ford going to continue 2 different body styles?? maybe they need to look at not doing that so they can make a better HD truck. It would be interesting to look at the 2015 f150 and see if there is extra room in the engine bay, we figured this out in 02 with dodge when they made both the old and new body styles. There was a lot of extra engine bay space.

I write this because 3/4 of people around me do not need to be driving super duty's they never use them as they should be, but rather want to look cool driving a big truck. I am sure some guys around here fit that as well. If your one of them your crazy for the added expense and lack of comfort, thats all I am saying. Remember if you frequently need the compacity of the SD none of this applies to you other than what I think ford should do better with.
Now your telling people they're crazy for how they spend their money, not yours, and what they like. You must be a preacher or something along that line.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Now your telling people they're crazy for how they spend their money, not yours, and what they like. You must be a preacher or something along that line.
Well said... I think his panties are still nutted up from the '12 Excursion thread back in January.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:21 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cummins, I drive a lot of F150's for work. Can't do them because of the positioning of the drivers seat. I've tried raising the seat up but something about them just throws my legs into fits. I like the leg room of the F150 but I like the shoulder room of the SD, little trade offs. Right now I'm driving a 2010 Titan, really like this truck to tell you the truth. Best part of it is that it was my bosses truck previous so it does not have the gps monitoring that the regular fleet trucks have!

Hope you enjoy the truck as it seems you are so far.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had an F150, it was a nice truck. I've had GM truck, also nice trucks. Know guys with Dodge trucks and they complain about front end issues. If I was buying new when I got my truck it wouldn't have been an SD as I don't need that yet but it was used and I plan to be pulling a fifth wheel next winter so I took the good deal I found on the F350 as I know the previous owner and it came with extended warranty and service plan. I also looked at Dmax's but used with the equivalent options they were more money. The F350's a nice truck but I never expected a 1T CC LB DRW to ride like a 1/2T so I don't complain about the ride.

Quick Reply: downsized to f150 my thoughts