Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Swap 1990 to 1995, 2WD, speed sensor VSS ABS RABS, shifting and speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E4OD Swap 1990 to 1995, 2WD, speed sensor VSS ABS RABS, shifting and speedometer?

E4OD Swap 1990 to 1995, 2WD, speed sensor VSS ABS RABS, shifting and speedometer?

I have done the E4OD swap on a 1990 F250 with 4x4, and the speedsensor plugged into the transfer case so it wasn't a problem, the tranny shifted and speedometer worked.

I forgot that the speedsensor plugged into the transfercase.

Now I picked up a 1995 E4OD for my dads 1990 F150, it has 2WD so the cable driven speed sensor goes into the tail shaft, this cable driven speedsensor also has wires which from what I am told control the transmission shifting... I forgot to add, the 1995 had a block off plate installed over the hole were the speed sensor would go, we took the plate off, and there is no drive gear in there for the speedometer cable.(just my luck.)

What are my options to get the 1995 E4OD transmission to work in my dads 1990 F150 2WD...

can I convert to the style plug in the rear end that also has the speedometer built in, like the later year ones (95-98)

I think that would fix the shifting(can't find any info confirming this.), just not the speedometer, we could live with that and just use a GPS for the speedometer, but we need the transmission to shift properly, and I cant find any information after hours of scouring the internet.

also from what I have read the PSOM, a small computer on the back of the instrument cluster does something with the readings from the rear end sensor, does that mean I would need to put one of those into the 1990?

EDIT, seems to me, couldnt I just swap out the entire wiring harness, computer, and dash? then the rear end sensor would work, not sure what all engine sensors if any would need to be swapped...

Old 04-12-2014, 02:55 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm no E4OD expert but from my experiences with other stuff it wouldn't surprise me at all if all they did is delete the gear itself. That is likely the detent on the shaft needed to install a speedo drive gear is there. So my first step would be to pull the tail shaft housing and see. If so then all you need is a gear to slap on.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
I only found one similar post: e4od tailshaft speedo question? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

but the resolution was never posted, my dad is taking the old tail housing off the 1990 E4OD now to investigate.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
Just checked.

The main output shaft that goes out the end of the tail shaft housing to the driveline has teeth machined into that shaft that run the speedometer.

What I need to know is if the shaft through the E4OD is a one piece shaft or if it seperates at the tail shaft housing.

did some more reading: http://www.f150online.com/forums/tra...d-4x2-4x4.html

looks like to swap the output shaft the entire transmission has to be dissassembled, it would come out the front bellhousing side of the tranny, way more work than I want to get into, never took apart an automatic tranny.

so back to my original idea, can I get the tranny to work with the newer style rear end speed sensor, even if that means swapping computers/harness/dash etc.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the same issue with my 89 F250 when I replace the AOD with a new rebuilt E4OD. No speedo gear on the E4OD tail shaft!

Either way of replacing the tail shaft or going with a PSOM setup is going to be some work. I am leaning twards using a 92 to 96 cluster and wiring it into the 89's harness as I don't want to take a fresh tranny apart. The newer cluster will physicality fit in the 87 to 91 dash with few minor mods for it to mount in. Then you have to replace the older dash harness plugs with the newer cluster's and add the VSS into the rear axle(if you don't have RABS allready)

Originally Posted by jakegaisser
Just checked.

The main output shaft that goes out the end of the tail shaft housing to the driveline has teeth machined into that shaft that run the speedometer.

What I need to know is if the shaft through the E4OD is a one piece shaft or if it seperates at the tail shaft housing.
IF you DO HAVE the speedo gear in the tail shaft, your lucky!! All you need is the speedo cable driven vss and wire that to the ECU. Once the ECU gets speed info, it will shift properly.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
In my honest opinion it seems like it would be much better to either have a pro swap the shafts, yes that means tearing the trans down, or finding a good pre-'92 2WD E4OD. I personally wouldn't want to try and cobble something together that had anything to do with the transmission. If any bit of it is wrong that could be the end of the trans.

Another thing that I am surprised was not mentioned by now. The solenoid packs are different from '89 to '95 and Sonia the connector and the programming for them. You will have to swap the '89 pack into the '95 trans.

I would honestly front the bill for a pro to change the shafts....

Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jakegaisser

I have done the E4OD swap on a 1990 F250 with 4x4, and the speedsensor plugged into the transfer case so it wasn't a problem, the tranny shifted and speedometer worked.

I forgot that the speedsensor plugged into the transfercase.

Now I picked up a 1995 E4OD for my dads 1990 F150, it has 2WD so the cable driven speed sensor goes into the tail shaft, this cable driven speedsensor also has wires which from what I am told control the transmission shifting... I forgot to add, the 1995 had a block off plate installed over the hole were the speed sensor would go, we took the plate off, and there is no drive gear in there for the speedometer cable.(just my luck.)

What are my options to get the 1995 E4OD transmission to work in my dads 1990 F150 2WD...

can I convert to the style plug in the rear end that also has the speedometer built in, like the later year ones (95-98)

I think that would fix the shifting(can't find any info confirming this.), just not the speedometer, we could live with that and just use a GPS for the speedometer, but we need the transmission to shift properly, and I cant find any information after hours of scouring the internet.

also from what I have read the PSOM, a small computer on the back of the instrument cluster does something with the readings from the rear end sensor, does that mean I would need to put one of those into the 1990?

EDIT, seems to me, couldnt I just swap out the entire wiring harness, computer, and dash? then the rear end sensor would work, not sure what all engine sensors if any would need to be swapped...
swap in a t-case to get the speedo provision needed? and as a bonus get a set of low range gears to use.
so you'd need to salvage yard hunt and or alter your current drive shaft,but a decent way to go right?

+ as Evan states; don't forget to swap in the older style s-pack.

edit;
oh.you already went and got a 2wd version trans though.......darn.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
I thought the VSS in the rear end was 95-97? but I am hoping its as simple as a new vss sensor in the rear end with new harness + instrument cluster, you think it can just be spliced into the existing harness? let me know how your project goes.

I would appreciate a post from somebody that has been there done that.

EDIT: yes the tranny we picked up is a 95 2wd e4od, Im not new to wrenching, I got more motor swaps and rebuilds under my built then I can count.(on a wide range of vehicles)

We swapped the old solenoid pack into the new tranny, as well as removed the roller pin and swapped the shift arm.

However if we are going to have to swap out the harness, computer, and dash then we would need to swap the newer solenoid pack BACK into the tranny.

Paying anyone to do the work is out of the question, we have the mechanical expertise to do this, just have not done this particular swap before.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Rentaro
Mountain Pass
Yeah we got the 1995 2WD trans for $50, they normally cost like $800. It's in good health, and relatively low miles. When the old tranny died we wanted the later year tranny for all of the factory upgrades.

We are going to get the Dash, instrument cluster, harness, and computer from a 1992-1993 truck tomorrow.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:15 AM
Thefordbuspeople
New User
New here.

Been reading these forums for months and recently starting having the same issues as a lot of people regarding the hard shifting due to a faulty speed sensor. Swapped the rear one and still no fix and swapped the front one (coming out of the transfer case) but noticed the plastic gear on the end had arc shaped wear from the worm gear that drove it. Specifically I have the 19 tooth gear. No one carries these except the internet, I tried every auto parts store and finally settle on ebay. Anyways I'll be posting whether or not this corrects the hard shifting issue. Btw I have a 90 f250 460 7.5l with an e4od tranny.