Sponsored by:

Need some help again

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help again

For the last week now there's been a sound that is hard to describe coming from the engine bay at start up. It lasts for a few minutes then goes away. Doesn't happen all of the time.

I suppose it sounds like metal on metal rubbing (where a circular piece is rubbing on a stationary piece). I think has to do with the photo below (or attached ... whichever works ).

This is the ac compressor/condenser right? I think the front plate is causing the noise, it's loose and the rubber around the whatever those are is toast. So if that's causing the noise, how do I remove it, and what is it called?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is the compressor clutch assembly. Haven't run A/C in the Bronco in so long I'm not sure I even remember how to remove/replace it. Someone does though.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:46 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
That's your A/C clutch. Usually, the auto part stores have the A/C clutch remove/install tool. Remove the center bolt, then a snap ring. The tool hold's the clutch from turning, and the other part of the tool thread's into the clutch and presses it off the compressor.

If the tool is unavailable.......sometimes you can turn on the ignition and A/C. Then remove the center bolt, then snap ring. Sometimes, the clutch will grip enough to remove the center bolt. OR you can use a large screwdriver or prybar between the three "circles" on the face of the clutch to hold it while removing the center bolt. Find a bolt that fits the threads of the clutch and it will push off the clutch. Be careful not to mess up the threads where your center bolt goes.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:58 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And when all else fails get a bigger hammer.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Depending on the design of the A/C clutch......if you can't thread in a bolt to push off the clutch, try a 3-jaw puller if room permits.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Ok I'm going to rent the clutch wrench if they have the clutch assembly in stock, otherwise I'll order the assembly and rent the wrench when it comes in.

What are the chances of the compressor being fried? I've only noticed the sound 4 times during the course of last week and I don't recall using the AC at all since purchase.

The compressor itself was r and r'd less then a year ago (by previous owner), is it standard practice to reuse the clutch?

Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
If the noise was heard without the A/C or defroster running.....it's the clutch. Usually the bearings or friction plate comes apart. Yes, sometimes people change the compressor only when they go bad. You can get new or reman compressors with the clutch already installed or compressor only. Most all the auto parts stores have "free" tool rental if you buy the part from them. (It's usually a buy it and return it policy.)

Old 04-13-2014, 02:23 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Angry

So now I'm pissed. I can't get the clutch off. I just emptied half a can of WD-40 onto it so hopefully that will help. The a/c clutch removal tool I "borrowed" from O'Reilly's was useless. There was nothing in that kit that would remove my clutch

Any ideas? I need to get this done asap as it's my daily driver and I have a report and a presentation due tomorrow for school

Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
So now I'm pissed. I can't get the clutch off. I just emptied half a can of WD-40 onto it so hopefully that will help. The a/c clutch removal tool I "borrowed" from O'Reilly's was useless. There was nothing in that kit that would remove my clutch

Any ideas? I need to get this done asap as it's my daily driver and I have a report and a presentation due tomorrow for school

The A/C clutch tool kit should have the tool that "holds" the clutch, a clutch removal tool and a clutch installer tool. USUALLY, it comes in a complete kit. If they only supplied the "holding" tool, see if they have the other tools. If not....a 3 jaw pulley puller will do it. (I don't think the Fords have 2 snap rings, but make sure there isn't an internal and external snap ring.)

They can be a major pain sometimes. I destroyed one of my clutch tools doing a compressor on one of my dump trucks.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:32 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Progress at last I bought a 3 prong pulley puller and was able to get the next piece off by hand (the bolt was too long but luckily I didn't need it).

So, any trick to getting this piece off?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:50 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Progress at last I bought a 3 prong pulley puller and was able to get the next piece off by hand (the bolt was too long but luckily I didn't need it).

So, any trick to getting this piece off?

I've never had one come off in pieces like that!! If the puller won't grab it....carefully try to pry it off using 2 prybars at the same time. I think that's the coil part of the clutch.......I don't think it's a tight fit part.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Now what?

Got the new clutch assembly on, fired up the truck and it immediately started howling again. Turned off the truck and looked under the hood to see smoke coming out of the new clutch.

So yea now I'm screwed.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Now what?

Got the new clutch assembly on, fired up the truck and it immediately started howling again. Turned off the truck and looked under the hood to see smoke coming out of the new clutch.

So yea now I'm screwed.
With the engine and power off, does the pulley turn freely with the belt off?? It should turn freely with no resistance.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:01 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Nope sure doesn't Now I can't remember if I checked before starting it up or not

Old 04-13-2014, 05:11 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Nope sure doesn't Now I can't remember if I checked before starting it up or not
There should be some spacers (small washers of different thicknesses) that came with the clutch kit. If the pulley doesn't spin freely, install a washer. You can't have too much space though or else the clutch will slip when A/C or defroster is engaged. (That's the "airgap" in your clutch)

Quick Reply: Need some help again