Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2005 Explorer trany problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 Explorer trany problem

Left work today and it would not shift out of second gear. Got home and it would not go into reverse either. Vehicle has 121, 000 miles on it. Also got a message on the info center saying check transmission-duh-so what do I need to look at? Fluid filter replace, replace shift solenoid, or is the trans toast. Any help greatly appreciated

Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm not a transmission expert, but your symptoms seem pretty consistent with a shift solenoid issue. That seems like the place to start, changing the fluid and filter at the same time. With that mileage on the truck it would probably be worth the extra 30 minutes to check the condition of the the bores that are known to wear out.

-Rod

Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Yep looks to be what I can find on researching as well.
I just don't want to have to tear into the whole thing as I am crunched for time (this is my wife's ride)

Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering the trans should be on its 4th fluid change and it probably is only on its first or second, Id say it is probably a wear issue. The bores are known to wear, but they are enabled to wear by friction material in the fluid, which builds up if the fluid is not changed regularly.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Surprising not much info out there on trannies but I called and talked to a few trans shops/gurus and it's looking more and more like a possible converter issue since I have 1 and second but no 3rd, 4th, 5th, or reverse. If no 2nd and 5th then the servo would be a good place to start but we will see hopefully this weekend. But with my luck more than likely will be a broken band and need a full overhaul.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM
weross67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow First Place to Look

You have either a 5R55S Or a 5R55W which are almost exact. Before you spend any money on parts of any sort drain the fluid and drop the pan then look at the magnet in the bottom of the pan if it is covered in metal check the bottom of the pan for brass. Ok now if there is no metal present it would be safe to work with the valve body and items around it. Next if the magnet is covered in metal one of the three bands is going south or something is doing some serious rubbing, it will need to be pulled down. Now last of all if you find small pieces of brass in the bottom of the pan and the magnet is covered there is a Planetary Gear having a wreck in which case it will have to be dissembled. In either of the last two cases I would park it until the problem can be corrected.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=weross67;14277517]You have either a 5R55S Or a 5R55W which are almost exact. Before you spend any money on parts of any sort drain the fluid and drop the pan then look at the magnet in the bottom of the pan if it is covered in metal check the bottom of the pan for brass. Ok now if there is no metal present it would be safe to work with the valve body and items around it. Next if the magnet is covered in metal one of the three bands is going south or something is doing some serious rubbing, it will need to be pulled down. Now last of all if you find small pieces of brass in the bottom of the pan and the magnet is covered there is a Planetary Gear having a wreck in which case it will have to be dissembled. In either of the last two cases I would park it until the problem can be corrected. [/QUOTe

It has been parked since Friday before last unfortunetly--but I will have to drive it 12 miles to the inlaws so I can use their garage to work on it. Well still haven't had the chance to pull the pan-will do that this weekend. Did get my code scanner back and ran it- have 3rd, 4th, and 5th incorrect gear ratio code but nothing for reverse (reverse doesn't engage at all)

Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
weross67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Most Common Problem

[QUOTE=KDAVID1;14282414]
Originally Posted by weross67
You have either a 5R55S Or a 5R55W which are almost exact. Before you spend any money on parts of any sort drain the fluid and drop the pan then look at the magnet in the bottom of the pan if it is covered in metal check the bottom of the pan for brass. Ok now if there is no metal present it would be safe to work with the valve body and items around it. Next if the magnet is covered in metal one of the three bands is going south or something is doing some serious rubbing, it will need to be pulled down. Now last of all if you find small pieces of brass in the bottom of the pan and the magnet is covered there is a Planetary Gear having a wreck in which case it will have to be dissembled. In either of the last two cases I would park it until the problem can be corrected. [/QUOTe

It has been parked since Friday before last unfortunetly--but I will have to drive it 12 miles to the inlaws so I can use their garage to work on it. Well still haven't had the chance to pull the pan-will do that this weekend. Did get my code scanner back and ran it- have 3rd, 4th, and 5th incorrect gear ratio code but nothing for reverse (reverse doesn't engage at all)
Gears 1 & 2 come off the Reverse drum & Planetary Gear, 2 & 5 come off the overdrive Drum & Planetary Gear, 3 & 4 come off the Intermediate Drum & Planetary Gear. I will not say it can't but looking at what is described here it would be hard for me to say you have a valve problem until I looked closely at what is in the pan. Based on what you are saying I would be afraid to drive it 12 miles. The normal failure on a 5R55s or w is the Overdrive Planetary Gear which can cause what you describe plus much more if you give it a chance.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=weross67;14283843]
Originally Posted by KDAVID1

Gears 1 & 2 come off the Reverse drum & Planetary Gear, 2 & 5 come off the overdrive Drum & Planetary Gear, 3 & 4 come off the Intermediate Drum & Planetary Gear. I will not say it can't but looking at what is described here it would be hard for me to say you have a valve problem until I looked closely at what is in the pan. Based on what you are saying I would be afraid to drive it 12 miles. The normal failure on a 5R55s or w is the Overdrive Planetary Gear which can cause what you describe plus much more if you give it a chance.
i got you. That was the confusion I had as 1 and 2 were good. I am anxious to get the pan off to have a look--and will probably tow it over now instead.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Well the problem was found in rebuild--planetary was disintegrated. The shop that rebuilt it said they hadn't seen one like that ever. I never even looked at it due to neighbor backed into it and I put it in a body shop then had a trans guy pick it up to fix. The wife is happy it's fixed now.