1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

TSM Mfg Front Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM Mfg Front Disc Brake Conversion Kits

Have any of you guys installed the TSM Mfg. Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit? Specifically on the F2/F3.

TSM Mfg Front Disc Brake Kit #1849

Wondering how they're working out for you and if I should expect any headaches during installation. The install looks pretty straight forward but looks can be deceiving.

I just ordered a set, will let you all know how it goes and will take a few pictures during installation. In the meantime while I wait for UPS to arrive, if any of you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

Briz

Old 04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
I have installed the kit and will tell you that on my 52 F-3 I had to make a few changes. First, I had to relocate the shocks to the back side of the axle as the caliper hit the shock before it would get close to full turn. All that needed to be done was to remove the bottom mount and flip it around, then re-drill the upper mount holes about an inch or so further back...
Next I had to clearance the caliper/wheel to keep from rubbing, but that is not in reference to the kit, just that I used K25 calipers that I purchased from an on-line source. my truck is not running, but I think the system will work just fine. The biggest problem I had was the orientation of the brackets, they need to be pointed up and oriented so the bottom bolt will clear the curved steering arm.
w

Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll post some pictures when I install them. UPS says they'll be here Thursday. With Friday being a holiday looks like she should be done early this weekend.

Won't be able to test them right away cause I'm not running yet either, in fact my front end isn't even on the truck right now, also waiting on new front springs to arrive.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Parts will be here today! I love the days when parts come in, it's like Christmas! g

Can't wait to get at it this weekend if the weather forecast holds, my garage isn't the nicest place to be when it's cold.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
I started a thread with a detailed installation here...

TSM Mfg Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit Installation

Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Paul Nanna
Freshman User
My Turn!

Just ordered the same disc brake kit for the '52 F350 delivery van.
Things that are "wait and see" are:
1). Will I still need the vacuum brake booster that is installed as a master cylinder slave unit.
2). How difficult it will be to upgrade the single master to a dual that will fit in the frame to replace the old one without too much adaptation.

While I'm at it... anybody know of a reputable shop to purchase a new set of leaf springs for the front of the truck? There is a broken leaf, so will just replace both sides while up on blocks..

Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paul Nanna
Just ordered the same disc brake kit for the '52 F350 delivery van.
Things that are "wait and see" are:
1). Will I still need the vacuum brake booster that is installed as a master cylinder slave unit.
2). How difficult it will be to upgrade the single master to a dual that will fit in the frame to replace the old one without too much adaptation.

While I'm at it... anybody know of a reputable shop to purchase a new set of leaf springs for the front of the truck? There is a broken leaf, so will just replace both sides while up on blocks..
To answer #2, Classic Performance Products sells frame mount dual master cylinders for disc/disc and disc/drum applications

Classic Ford Truck Parts-1948-1964 Parts. The Finest in Suspension, Brakes, Steering and Accessories.

Scroll down till you get to the "FRAME MOUNT BRAKE BOOSTER KITS" heading.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Paul Nanna
Freshman User
Longer wheel studs?

Thanks fo the info...
A new item has sprung up...
Looks like I will need to replace the wheel lug bolts with longer units.
The current lug bolt is basically 1 inch from the drum to the end of the thread.
The wheels are 1/2" thick (aluminum mag) which leaves 1/2" for the lug nuts to thread on.
Don't know the real thickness, but am sure the bolt on rotors will add a good amount to the overall requirement for a safe thread "bite" in the lug nuts.
Would you know off hand what the bolt spec is?
Looking at Doorman and others, but haven't knocked out a bolt and taken to the hardware store to try sizing threads, etc.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Don't know the spec off hand, can check my service manual after work (about 7 hrs from now) and will also measure mine for you, I know they're longer than an inch, that's for sure.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Paul Nanna
Freshman User
Lug Spec

The Dorman site has listed 1 5/8" as the stock length.
This is the overall size from end to end.
I'm measuring from the from of the drum face to the end so the 5/8 must be what is the knurled section in the drum itself.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
I took the wheel off and measured from the front of the TSM rotor to the tip of the lug and got 3/4" bang on. It seems small but even with the wheel on the lug nuts still get fully threaded on with a few threads to spare.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Also, in my service manual it lists the 48-52 F-3 front lug as part # 8 D-1107A and being 1/2"-20 by 1-3/4" long. Had to put a space in the 8 D or else it looks like this... haha

Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Paul Nanna
Freshman User
Lug Bolt Measurement

Thanks!
I realized after the original post that I was measuring the available threads with the original brake drum on!...Duh...
Looking forward to getting the kit and sizing things.
The aluminum mags I'm using are 1/2" thick at the bottom of the conical seat that the lug nuts tighten into- to the back of the wheel.
So it may be close. We shall see....
Just signed up as a forum paid member so maybe can post pics here.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 PM
BrizNasty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paul Nanna
Thanks!
I realized after the original post that I was measuring the available threads with the original brake drum on!...Duh...
Looking forward to getting the kit and sizing things.
The aluminum mags I'm using are 1/2" thick at the bottom of the conical seat that the lug nuts tighten into- to the back of the wheel.
So it may be close. We shall see....
Just signed up as a forum paid member so maybe can post pics here.
Yeah right now mine just has plain steel rims on it so I can move the chassis around easier. Nowhere near where I'd like to be with my build but I'm slowly plugging away. When I finally decided on a rim/tire combo I may have to change things up, never really gave that much though till now haha.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Paul Nanna
Freshman User
Counter sunk drum screws

Good Morning,
OK...pulled everything off last night for "clean & prep".
So how difficult and what technique did you use to loosen/remove the three screws holding the drum to the spindle?
I have an old B&D electric 1/2" impact tool and can get a big screwdriver bit for it. El Liquido de Wrencho will go on and soak.
Any "surprises" I need to be aware of?
After 61 years of hold, I don't anticipate that these will come out without a fight.
Just ordered the CCP dual master and hope it will fit into the frame and linkage geometry without too much fuss.

Quick Reply: TSM Mfg Front Disc Brake Conversion Kits