Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

C6 band adjustment & fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 PM
d-day
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C6 band adjustment & fluid

I'm going to service my c6 this week and was seeing if any of you had the procedure for adjusting the bands? Second q is I've been using merc/dex trans fluid, PO had a gallon in the truck when I got it, had a leak... i see a thread started but not really for a c6
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s....php?t=1308440
Should I just keep using merc/dex since its already in the trans?

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure about the fluid. I have always had good success with Valvoline MaxLife in my transmissions. I was planning on using it in my c6 when I flush it late this spring.

As far a s the band adjustment, I had to mess with mine this past summer. A google search will render the actual Ford manual procedure. IIRC it has you tighten it to a certain torque and then back it out 1.5 turns. The torque was somewhere in the 10-15 ft/lb range.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I've run both in C6s, both worked fine. F is what's called for though, but the Dex is fairly universal.

I'm pretty sure the measurement is in inch-lbs, not foot. I recall buying a 1/4 torque wrench specifically for the inch measurement. Been a long time since I did one, but I think the C6 only has one adjustable band and fortunately it's external, the C4 has the external one and the other band's adjustment is accessed by dropping the pan. I may have the two transmissions backwards though, but I think that is correct.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
This is what I found for the specific band adjustment procedure:
1.Raise the vehicle on a hoist and position safety stands under vehicle.

2.Clean all the dirt from the adjusting screw (7A178). Remove and discard lock nut.

3.Using Torque Wrench Handle T71P-77370-H (Part of Band Adjustment Torque Wrench Set T71P-77370-A) install a new lock nut but do not tighten at this time. Tighten the adjusting screw to 14 N-m (10 lb-ft).

4.Back off the adjusting screw exactly 1-1/2 turns.

4.Hold the adjusting screw from turning and tighten the new lock nut to 48-61 N-m (35-45 lb-ft).
6.Remove the safety stand and lower the vehicle.
Source(s):
OEM Ford F-series shop manual

Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Huh, weird. You're right then, just not what I remembered. Wonder what I got that wrench for....

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Huh, weird. You're right then, just not what I remembered. Wonder what I got that wrench for....
10ft/lbs on a ft/lb torque wrench isn't much. IT would be very easy to over tighten the band with the bigger torque wrench. I would recommend using an inch pounds one to insure accuracy.

Here is a thread that I started last summer when I did mine

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-location.html

Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
I've run both in C6s, both worked fine. F is what's called for though, but the Dex is fairly universal.
this is incorrect. type F was used in the older transmissions. but anything made after the early 80's uses dextron/mercon.
the additives in the type F will damage the trans if it was designed to use mercon/dextron.
this is direct out of the ford factory service manual.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM
d-day
Elder User
Cool thanks, I ended up getting it at Walmart.. black gallon jug that says dex/mercon... I also thought about getting the Walmart fluid that says "transmission" fluid, as heard that'll work as well

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
same thing, only no name brand on it so it costs less.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
d-day
Elder User
That's what I thought oh well, thank you for the help

Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tjc transport
this is incorrect. type F was used in the older transmissions. but anything made after the early 80's uses dextron/mercon.
the additives in the type F will damage the trans if it was designed to use mercon/dextron.
this is direct out of the ford factory service manual.

You're right, I just confirmed with the owners manual in the '85, Dextron II. Sorry about that, I hate to be the source of bad information.

However, I'm sure the F wouldn't hurt it, like we were discussing in the other thread it's just a friction modifier to firm up the shifts, a C6 wouldn't care one way or the other.

Funny thing is the manual says to use Type F in the power steering reservoir.

AND Type H in the C5. Never seen either of those. Heard of a C5, never saw one.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
type f in steering will not hurt anything because it is just a pump and motor. the trans clutches were redesigned and the type f does not play well with the new clutch material or something like that, thus severely reducing trans life.
it has been way to long since i had the trans schooling to remember exactly what it did, all i remember is that anything after 77 or so is no more type f, and look at the dipstick or book before putting "F" in it.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Don Senkow
Mountain Pass
Just to clarify the difference between Dextron and Type F please see below. Information is correct explaining the difference, just reversed. Type F is specified in many hydraulic systems because there are NO modifiers. You can use Type F in a Dextron specified application, the result will be a harsher shift. We use Type F in our race trans for that very reason.

I have been told, if you start with one type, you should remain with that type. Ford made the switch (as stated) in the 70's and specified fluid is usually imprinted on the dipstick.

This came from Valvoline.com FAQs.

What is the difference between Dexron III/Mercon and type F transmission fluid?

The Valvoline Type F transmission fluid is a high quality NON-friction modified fluid. Dexron III/Mercon includes friction modifiers in the fluid additive package

Old 04-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Don Senkow
Just to clarify the difference between Dextron and Type F please see below. Information is correct explaining the difference, just reversed. Type F is specified in many hydraulic systems because there are NO modifiers. You can use Type F in a Dextron specified application, the result will be a harsher shift. We use Type F in our race trans for that very reason.

I have been told, if you start with one type, you should remain with that type. Ford made the switch (as stated) in the 70's and specified fluid is usually imprinted on the dipstick.

This came from Valvoline.com FAQs.

What is the difference between Dexron III/Mercon and type F transmission fluid?

The Valvoline Type F transmission fluid is a high quality NON-friction modified fluid. Dexron III/Mercon includes friction modifiers in the fluid additive package
Okay, I get it, the friction modifiers reduce friction, not enhance it. So the type F is still 'Friction', but because it does NOT have the modifiers.

My amusement on Ford calling for F in the P/S is that they stopped using it in the transmissions, but still require it in the pump rather than have you use what you already have for the transmission.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Don Senkow
Mountain Pass
Think of Type F as more of a hydraulic fluid. Power steering is just a hydraulic pump, valves and servo or piston. Many older versions of industrial equipment specified Type F as hydraulic fluid. I believe most newer vehicles use a fluid branded "power steering fluid", which is clear.

From what I have read, the change to Dextron/Mercon has more to do with lockup convertors than the clutch packs in the transmission. C6 frictions (forward, direct, reverse) have the same part number as E4OD frictions.

Quick Reply: C6 band adjustment & fluid