6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New Batteries but no start problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
jpalladino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Batteries but no start problem.

Last Nov. I put my 05 F350 6.0 in a heated garage for the winter. I disconnected both batteries. Yesterday I purchased 2 new batteries from Sams Club. The only difference between the old and new batteries is the old were 750cca and the new are 850cca. The size 65 is the same. Now the truck turns over but won't start. Truck has 30,000 miles. I bought it new. Other than my family, this is my baby. Fuel is at 1/2 tank. Could it be the fuel? Truck stayed at 55 degrees all winter. When I turn the key I hear the injectors or fuel pump prime. Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Need to check the basic things. You will find all that info in the tech folder.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Lx460
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel has a long shelf life unlike gasoline which starts to degrade after a short time. After the injectors stop clicking and you turn the key, how long did you crank it?

Without any diagnostic parameters to look at, it's near impossible to tell what's going on via the Internet.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Lx460
Senior User
Did you remove the fuel filter lid and make sure you're getting fuel up top?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by jpalladino
Last Nov. I put my 05 F350 6.0 in a heated garage for the winter. I disconnected both batteries. Yesterday I purchased 2 new batteries from Sams Club. The only difference between the old and new batteries is the old were 750cca and the new are 850cca. The size 65 is the same. Now the truck turns over but won't start. Truck has 30,000 miles. I bought it new. Other than my family, this is my baby. Fuel is at 1/2 tank. Could it be the fuel? Truck stayed at 55 degrees all winter. When I turn the key I hear the injectors or fuel pump prime. Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
With the batteries disconnected for a long period, you might have to reflash the FICM module. It needs to communicate with you PCM and your CMP/CKP sensors.
It doesn't have software but will need to be programmed before use.
You can still turn it over, but engine fuel won't be supplied to the cylinders.
You might reach out to Ed here on this forum for FICM specifics.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
The main question is just how many attempts at starting have you made?

The HPO system could very well have bled down and needs re-primed.

Josh

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
"I put my 05 F350 6.0 in a heated garage for the winter."

Probably unlikely but did any critters get to it and chew some wires?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers

With the batteries disconnected for a long period, you might have to reflash the FICM module. It needs to communicate with you PCM and your CMP/CKP sensors.
It doesn't have software but will need to be programmed before use.
You can still turn it over, but engine fuel won't be supplied to the cylinders.
You might reach out to Ed here on this forum for FICM specifics.
Why do you think the ficm needs to be re flashed? The OP said nothing about replacing his ficm.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Why do you think the ficm needs to be re flashed? The OP said nothing about replacing his ficm.

Correct, the FICM should hold memory 5-7 years.

Josh

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Correct, the FICM should hold memory 5-7 years.
Josh
There are two main issues with solid state memory nonvolatile memories such as flash and EEPROMS:

(1) how many times you can reprogram each cell (cycle count); and
(2) how long a cell will retain memory (data degradation or "data rot")

Software code is stored in binary form on chips. Each memory cell is either a "1" or a "0". We all know that. Solid state memory usually stores data in a capacitor (if it is charged it is a "1", if not, it is a "0") or a transistor (transistor on "1", off "0").

Most Flash memories use electron tunneling and place a charge in a region of a memory cell.

Problem is just applying power to a EEPROM does not by itself refresh such memory charges and charges dissipate over time. Such is a major concern for applications such as space craft that are expected to operate for long periods of time often in ion rich environments.

Any way, computers often employ a data refreshing strategy (using a memory controller and error correction) to refresh the data memory.

I could be wrong but I doubt the Ford FICMs do the same and if true all Ford FICMs will fail over time but I suspect the hardware will fail before the data in the EEPROM become corrupted from data decay/bit rot.

Point is, I would expect the EEPROM in the FICM to retain its data with or without power for far more than 7 years. Otherwise I should expect a FICM failure in my 2006 F250 soon.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
jpalladino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for your replies. No critters got into the vehicle. I will check to see if the top fuel filter is getting fuel. I have a Prestige Platinum alarm system which might be the problem since I disconnected the batteries it may have gone into a no start mode. I read all the directions and booklets about the alarm. It doesn't say what to do or how to reset the alarm if the batteries are disconnected, so I'm going to start there. I tried starting the truck about 4x, waited 5 min. then another 4x, waited, then another 4x. Each time I allow it to prime. I cranked it 5 to 8 seconds each time. Hope this info helps and thanks for your time. Going out to the garage now. Will check in later. Hopefully I get it started. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Monty Simmons
There are two main issues with solid state memory nonvolatile memories such as flash and EEPROMS:

(1) how many times you can reprogram each cell (cycle count); and
(2) how long a cell with retain memory (data degradation or "data rot")

Software code is stored in binary form on chips. Each memory cell is either a "1" or a "0". We all know that. Solid state memory usually stores data in a capacitor (if it is charged it is a "1", if not, it is a "0") or a transistor (transistor on "1", off "0").

Most Flash memories use electron tunneling and place a charge in a region of a memory cell.

Problem is just applying power to a EEPROM does not by itself refresh such memory charges and charges dissipate over time. Such is a major concern for applications such as space craft that are expected to operate for long periods of time often in ion rich environments.

Any way, computers often employ a data refreshing strategy (using a memory controller and error correction) to refresh the data memory.

I could be wrong but I doubt the Ford FICMs do the same - so all Ford FICMs will fail over time but I suspect the hardware will fail before the data in the EEPROM become corrupted from data decay/bit rot.

Point is, I would expect the EEPROM in the FICM to retain its data without power for far more than 7 years. Otherwise I should expect a FICM failure in my 2006 F250 soon.
Why would you expect the FICM memory to fail if you're driving the truck?

Josh

Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Bullitt390

Crank up to 20-30 seconds at a time.

Josh

Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Why would you expect the FICM memory to fail if you're driving the truck?

Josh
I would not, at least not for 40 years. By then the hard parts will have failed and the FICM will have been replaced with a newly programmed FICM EEPROM.

Wait, I believe I understand your question. If I believed the data life in an powered or unpowered EEPROM was about 7 years, then yes, I would expect the FICM to fail this year assuming it has not been reprogrammed since it was built (because my truck is a 2006 and this year is 2014).

Such failure could occur driving down the road or sitting in my driveway ----- unless Ford uses some kind of data refreshing algorithm for its FICM EEPROMS in which case the data should be good until the memory's cycle count has been exceeded.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by MisterCMK

I'm not sure he had to discuss his FICM as a possibility, I did.

Just throwing out suggestions. I know there are alarm systems that specifically interrupt FICM communications with the PCM. This allows the engine to crank over, but not start.

Looks like Monty and Bullitt have explored that and dismissed.

I realize it could be many possibilities but I consider that maybe an incorrect suggestion is better then none at all when trying to help.

Quick Reply: New Batteries but no start problem.