Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Radiator woes continue

Went to the trouble of pulling my radiator out because I thought I had a leak. All we found at the radiator shop was a slight leak in the petcock. Put a new one in and reinstalled the radiator. I filled the radiator and started the truck to burp the air out.....cap not on yet obviously. I watched like a hawk on the radiator and under the truck. Not a drip or drop at all. After about ten mins of running and letting the coolant circulate, I put the cap on. Instantly coolant started coming out of the overflow tube. This is a new 4# cap. The coolant wasn't even hot. I took the cap off...truck still running and coolant not even hot enough to blow out when removing the cap...and the overflow stopped completely. Cap back on, coolant flowing out overflow tube, cap off, stops again. I haven't even finished adding the coolant that came out of it back in yet. Never experienced this and I'm getting tired of this radiator. Any ideas because I have none on this. Thanks!

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Forgot to mention that the radiator cools the truck just fine. No issues.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Have you looked down in the radiator to see if bubbles are coming up inside?

First I would test the cap. New doesn't always mean good.

Then I would put a pressure tester on the radiator to see how fast it's building pressure. If it's not hot but building enough pressure to blow past a 4# cap there might be more going on than just the radiator.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Senior User

Normalbloke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Seems like the cooling system is being pressurised some how. Head gasket?
Have you had a pressure tester on to see if it holds, then increases as you start the engine?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Elder User

I'll check the cap. I haven't had a pressure tester on it. And it had a few bubbles when I was burping the system.
Again, I can drive the truck for how ever long I want. It doesn't get hot. Not even in a parade for an hour going from just idling every few seconds to going 2mph for a few more.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior User

Steve_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Measure the depth of the radiator neck and compare it with the cap
I bought a new cap and it was a bit short
Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Might be time for a leak down test.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Posting Guru

bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.bjmayberry2 has a great reputation on FTE.
bjmayberry2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
Measure the depth of the radiator neck and compare it with the cap
I bought a new cap and it was a bit short
Would have never thought of that! Great info.
All works in progress
Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Senior User

53FOPAR has a good reputation on FTE.53FOPAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Maybe drill a small hole (1/8 inch or so) in the thermostat? Allows coolant to bypass thermostat when engine not yet hot.

'53 F-100 Panel
MOPAR 360
Torqueflte 904
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Posting Guru

harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.harleymsn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FOPAR View Post
Maybe drill a small hole (1/8 inch or so) in the thermostat? Allows coolant to bypass thermostat when engine not yet hot.
But his problem has nothing to do with overheating.
2009 Pontiac G3 the "roller-skate"

www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
This may be stupid to ask and I sure don't mean to offend, but how full is the radiator tank, is there room for expansion?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Senior User

wallster has a good reputation on FTE.wallster has a good reputation on FTE.
If I read it correctly you're running a 4 lb cap. I would bump that up to a 7 lb cap since increasing pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant. Raising the pressure should theoretically keep the coolant from puking out due to boiling. I don't know what motor or radiator you're running though.

wally

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Senior User

53FOPAR has a good reputation on FTE.53FOPAR has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymsn View Post
But his problem has nothing to do with overheating.

Yeah, that's why you do it. The thermostat stays closed until engine temp is reached. That means no coolant runs from block to radiator. The hole allows the coolant to pass before the engine heats up and removes the pressure. Also helps when trying to get the air out of the system.

'53 F-100 Panel
MOPAR 360
Torqueflte 904
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
All thermostats have some means of air bleed built in. If you hold them up to the light, you can see the seat or the disc has a wavy edge, or a notch cut in it to provide air bleed/minimum flow. The only exceptions are the kinds that have a separate disc to open/close a bypass.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like lots of air in the system somewhere causing expansion and contraction. Usually in the heater core. Drop the end of the overflow tube into a gallon milk jug and the cycle the engine hot to cold 3-4 times. You should get less in the bottle each time if you are getting the air out.
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks