Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I doubt it's pressure, just a surge from trapped air like Pete said.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I doubt it's pressure, just a surge from trapped air like Pete said.
Ok, thanks Ross. I know your expertise is far superior to mine, on the flatty's
And the others as well. I just wanted to get a second opinion on my thoughts.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
LOL, it's all conjecture from 1,000 miles away
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
I let the truck run for ten minutes before I put the cap on so it wasn't actually "cold". Wasn't on fire but warm. On the pressure tester....I tried but the tester kit came with several fittings. None would attach to my radiator. Also one of the folks I was talking to today at Dennis Carpenter said if the head gasket was blown out would be bubbling the whole time I was sitting there with the cap off and it wasn't so hopefully no blown hg.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
Click to see my Gallery http://tinyurl.com/p4xegzv
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Ok guys! I am glad to hear it. I hope nothing but the best for you Wayne!

I will wait for the good news! I hate annoying little thing like this! Get'er fixed!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Elder User

Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.Wayne Waldrep has a very good reputation on FTE.
Got a message back from Stant Engineering dept. The neck on my radiator is to deep. No cap is available. They confirmed that the cap is not making contact on the bottom lip.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM
postin' fool

Fuel Filler Necks & Gas Tank Pipes | Filler Neck Supply Co.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Ooooooh !!! Lots of fun stuff at that site Ross. Good ideas if you plan to move your fuel tank. Thanks!
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep View Post
Got a message back from Stant Engineering dept. The neck on my radiator is to deep. No cap is available. They confirmed that the cap is not making contact on the bottom lip.
Time to get innovative. Figure out how much addition you need to get the seal part of the cap down into the sealing part of the radiator neck and put your fab skills to work. That or take it to a shop that will install a new neck. My experience is that all of these old vehicles don't burp or bleed quickly.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Senior User

Steve_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I cut a disc out of a sheet of rubber as a temporary fix and it's still there 10 years later
Old 04-10-2014, 12:32 PM
postin' fool

Steel washers would do the trick, too, maybe with a rubber one at the bottom.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.petemcl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Note that LMC Truck has a radiator cap #43-0010 for $4.95 that is specifically for stock radiators only. That seems to indicate that it is different than regular caps.
2011 John Deere 2520
1950 Ford F2 w/flathead V8/4-speed
. . .. . .
Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Elder User

Cool links. I feel better knowing that there are some things available. I'm going to try cutting me a rubber gasket to take up the difference. I appreciate all the time and input guys. Looks like we got enough pages to qualify for a nifty video ad in the thread...lol.
As I've mentioned before this area is horrible for business. Nowhere to get a driveshaft made or balanced. And the list goes on and on. The radiator shop that all us old car guys used just closed last month. Now all thats left is the one that everyone is scared of. When I did my radiator the other day I had to show up in person (after leaving the radiator for a week) to get him to do anything. And when I dropped it off he told me two days. A week was fine but I know him and know he's not trustworthy. Anyway, I stood and watched him check the radiator and he doesn't seem very capable. Hopefully I can fix this without having to go back.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
FWIW, I just measured the original Ford script radiator in my '49 F4. It originally had the 226 CId flathead six. Measurement down to the seal ledge surface in the radiator neck is 3/4". Distance from the brass top seal and the lower rubber seal of the 4 psi cap is 13/16", non compressed. So, in my case, there is 1/16" compression.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Elder User

Thanks Ray. I went by NAPA and dug around in the rubber washers/orings. Found a suitable piece and placed it on the ledge. Now when I put the cap on I feel the spring compress some when I mash down to tighten. I'll keep a check on it and see if it leaks.

'49 F1 239 Flathead
www.waynewaldrep.com/God
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks