6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

White smoke / steam from exhaust and losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM
shivaskeeper
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke / steam from exhaust and losing coolant

My google-fu isn't working well tonight so here is the problem.

Took the truck, a stock 2004 F350 6.0 w/ 85K miles and a coolant filter, on a 600 mile round trip, hauling a 4 horse goose neck trailer weighing in about 15,000lbs. I did have to go through one mountain pass and some pretty severe elevation changes on long hills going each direction. No issues during the drive either way, no overheating, no coolant smell, no smoke, and the fan kicked on once during the trip. All fluids were good at all stops including parking back in the driveway. Overall the truck performed like a champ.

No issues on start up this morning to go to work. Started the truck to come home at the end of the day and it's blowing massive white smoke and losing coolant. No CEL, no codes from KOER or KOEO tests, and no visible coolant leaks. Oil was changed just before the trip. Coolant has less than 6,000 miles on it

I do not have any after market gauges so I can't tell you the delta between EOT and ECT.

I'm pretty sure it's the EGR cooler, but I would like the proper trouble shooting steps to diagnose this for sure. Right now the truck is parked nose down on an incline so I can pull the EGR valve first thing in the morning to check for coolant on it or excessive carbon. Thanks.

Greg

Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Sounds as if you are on the right track. Sounds like egr cooler to me as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM
shivaskeeper
Freshman User
I pulled the EGR valve this morning. Valve was filthy and caked with carbon, but no moisture in the intake. The truck was parked on jack stands so the front end was about 20 inches lower than the rear all night. Put the cleaned valve in and no more smoke. Running like a champ again for a good test drive. Could a dirty EGR valve been the problem or do I need to go deeper? On the plus side I did find a bad fitting on one of the radiator return lines so that's getting replaced.

Greg

Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 PM
shivaskeeper
Freshman User
And... the white smoke is back. Parked it for a few hours after the test drive today and all was good. Started up to move it and white smoke is pouring out again.

I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that it's the EGR cooler. I know oil cooler should be done at the same time. My understanding of the way this works is the oil cooler gets blocked and causes the restriction in the EGR cooler. The EGR gets superheated and the internal welds give out. The problem is funds are tight right now so is there a way to flush out or otherwise clean the oil cooler to salvage it? Thanks.

Greg

Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
You wont be able to flush the oil cooler. Once its plugged its done. If funds are tight you could delete the egr cooler, but dont hold off on changing the oil cooler for to long, especially towing 15k. If you do the work yourself it wouldnt cost much over 350$ for both if you delete the egr cooler.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
By the way, dont drive it until its fixed. It can get real ugly real fast with a bad egr cooler.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
shivaskeeper
Freshman User
I am picking up a loaner truck from a friend in the morning. Mine will sit until it's fixed. I actually have a spare still in the box EGR cooler on a shelf in the garage. All it needs is the gasket kit for it. But I was hoping to be able to just flush the oil cooler. Hopefully have the work done this weekend.

As for the towing that's not an every day thing. Every other weekend or so for shorter, under 100 miles, round trips and every other month or so we do a long one hauling the weight. But yeah, no hauling or driving until it's fixed.

Greg

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What were your Temps and are you studded? becareful not to Hydrolock, sound real close to me. whats the degus bottle doing any puke?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
shivaskeeper
Freshman User
I don't have any aftermarket gauges, I know I should have something to monitor live data, and it's on the list of things I need to get. The idiot gauge is reading good for what it's worth. There is no puking from the degas so I figure the head gaskets are good for now. No head stud upgrade since I don't run any tune.

Greg

Old 01-21-2021, 06:29 PM
TheAbear360
New User
Having similar issue. I'm a little versed in these trucks and have moderate mechanical experience. I have a 04 f250 with about 195,000 mi on it. I've been doing mine repairs on it since I bought the truck like a new alternator new fuel pressure regulator coolant flush every so often and keeping up with oil changes using premium oil. I run Arch oil fuel additive every Philip and I keep Arch oil friction modifier in the oil. I'm out right replace the EGR valve a few years ago and have since then taken it out and cleaned it whenever I've had an issue with smoke or low engine response. this morning I started getting some steam because you could definitely feel the moisture it wasn't so much smoke. Park the truck on the hill and took the EGR valve out and of course it's dry but it's full of carbon. I do have an engine monitor in the truck and my oil to coolant Delta has never been more than 10° on a hard run. Normally the engine oil is around 4 to 5° over the engine coolant on typical running scenario. Like I said I've been very religious with the oil and fuel additives and I just put a brand new set of motorcraft fuel injectors a few months ago. Since the EGR valve is dry and I am having some overspill from the Degas bottle, what do you guys think?

Old 01-25-2021, 12:33 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
I think you should start your own thread so people will see it.