Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Freshman User

shivaskeeper is starting off with a positive reputation.
White smoke / steam from exhaust and losing coolant

My google-fu isn't working well tonight so here is the problem.

Took the truck, a stock 2004 F350 6.0 w/ 85K miles and a coolant filter, on a 600 mile round trip, hauling a 4 horse goose neck trailer weighing in about 15,000lbs. I did have to go through one mountain pass and some pretty severe elevation changes on long hills going each direction. No issues during the drive either way, no overheating, no coolant smell, no smoke, and the fan kicked on once during the trip. All fluids were good at all stops including parking back in the driveway. Overall the truck performed like a champ.

No issues on start up this morning to go to work. Started the truck to come home at the end of the day and it's blowing massive white smoke and losing coolant. No CEL, no codes from KOER or KOEO tests, and no visible coolant leaks. Oil was changed just before the trip. Coolant has less than 6,000 miles on it

I do not have any after market gauges so I can't tell you the delta between EOT and ECT.

I'm pretty sure it's the EGR cooler, but I would like the proper trouble shooting steps to diagnose this for sure. Right now the truck is parked nose down on an incline so I can pull the EGR valve first thing in the morning to check for coolant on it or excessive carbon. Thanks.

Greg
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Posting Guru

9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.9228.bobcat has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sounds as if you are on the right track. Sounds like egr cooler to me as well.

2006 F350 Harley Davidson, Atlas 40 from Ed 4" lift belstein shox
Arp studs, sinister coolant filter, bullet proof egr cooler, 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe, ccv reroute, sct ts/ tunes gearhead, 10 vein turbo, updated dummy plugs/standpipes, stc fitting, blue spring 2005 King Ranch,2004 Excursion
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Freshman User

I pulled the EGR valve this morning. Valve was filthy and caked with carbon, but no moisture in the intake. The truck was parked on jack stands so the front end was about 20 inches lower than the rear all night. Put the cleaned valve in and no more smoke. Running like a champ again for a good test drive. Could a dirty EGR valve been the problem or do I need to go deeper? On the plus side I did find a bad fitting on one of the radiator return lines so that's getting replaced.

Greg
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Freshman User

And... the white smoke is back. Parked it for a few hours after the test drive today and all was good. Started up to move it and white smoke is pouring out again.

I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that it's the EGR cooler. I know oil cooler should be done at the same time. My understanding of the way this works is the oil cooler gets blocked and causes the restriction in the EGR cooler. The EGR gets superheated and the internal welds give out. The problem is funds are tight right now so is there a way to flush out or otherwise clean the oil cooler to salvage it? Thanks.

Greg
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Posting Guru

steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.
You wont be able to flush the oil cooler. Once its plugged its done. If funds are tight you could delete the egr cooler, but dont hold off on changing the oil cooler for to long, especially towing 15k. If you do the work yourself it wouldnt cost much over 350$ for both if you delete the egr cooler.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Posting Guru

steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.steelhead2 has a good reputation on FTE.
By the way, dont drive it until its fixed. It can get real ugly real fast with a bad egr cooler.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Freshman User

I am picking up a loaner truck from a friend in the morning. Mine will sit until it's fixed. I actually have a spare still in the box EGR cooler on a shelf in the garage. All it needs is the gasket kit for it. But I was hoping to be able to just flush the oil cooler. Hopefully have the work done this weekend.

As for the towing that's not an every day thing. Every other weekend or so for shorter, under 100 miles, round trips and every other month or so we do a long one hauling the weight. But yeah, no hauling or driving until it's fixed.

Greg
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Postmaster

04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold04badford is a splendid one to behold
What were your Temps and are you studded? becareful not to Hydrolock, sound real close to me. whats the degus bottle doing any puke?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Freshman User

I don't have any aftermarket gauges, I know I should have something to monitor live data, and it's on the list of things I need to get. The idiot gauge is reading good for what it's worth. There is no puking from the degas so I figure the head gaskets are good for now. No head stud upgrade since I don't run any tune.

Greg
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel