1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 PM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Radio issue

2011 F250. My radio's audio settings are resetting back to default when my truck sits a couple of days. I know there is one member that has(d) this issue. I am still under warranty but thought I would ask what or if there will be a fix.

Thanks
S

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello - I'm having the same problem with my 2013 F250, did you ever find out if there is a way to keep the audio system from loosing it's settings?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveNTx
Hello - I'm having the same problem with my 2013 F250, did you ever find out if there is a way to keep the audio system from loosing it's settings?
That sounds frustrating, Dave. Have you ever brought this to the attention of your dealer? How many miles are on your truck currently? Let me know; I'll see what I can do to help bring back the jams in your rig.

Crystal

Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FordService
That sounds frustrating, Dave. Have you ever brought this to the attention of your dealer? How many miles are on your truck currently? Let me know; I'll see what I can do to help bring back the jams in your rig.

Crystal
Yes - it is frustrating to get back into the truck and then have to go back through setting the treble, bass, balance, fade, and speed settings while trying to drive.

I haven't mentioned it to the dealer where I get it serviced - is this something that they can fix? That would be great!

The audio system I have is the basic CD/AM/FM with the MP3 USB port. Satellite radio is connected via an auxiliary port.

My truck has 22,633 miles on it.

Dave

Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
...I haven't mentioned it to the dealer where I get it serviced - is this something that they can fix?...
Hi, Dave!

Making an appointment at your dealership would be the ideal next step; the service manager will be in the best position to advise on repairs. Come back and tell us how things go.

Crystal

Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Hi, Dave!

Making an appointment at your dealership would be the ideal next step; the service manager will be in the best position to advise on repairs. Come back and tell us how things go.

Crystal
Crystal,

Well OK - I called the dealer and set an appointment to have them check the radio next week. The service guy was courteous and so forth but did not have any particular knowledge of radios losing their settings; he said they'd run some sort of diagnostic and try to determine the problem.

I was hoping that there would be some specific information that described how the problem occurs and what remedies are used to correct it.

Do you know of any details of why the radios lose their settings? Is there a technical service bulletin for this?

Thanx,
Dave

Old 06-25-2015, 08:41 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
...Do you know of any details of why the radios lose their settings? Is there a technical service bulletin for this?...
Hi Dave,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for diagnostic/mechanical questions. Once you head in for your appointment, your tech will run your VIN to see if any TSBs apply to the truck.

Crystal

Old 07-04-2015, 06:00 AM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Hi Dave,

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for diagnostic/mechanical questions. Once you head in for your appointment, your tech will run your VIN to see if any TSBs apply to the truck.

Crystal
Well, OK - I went through the skit and spent a couple of hours sitting in the dealership waiting room while the service guys fiddled around with my truck. The service guy came back and said they couldn't find any diagnostic codes and so there wasn't anything they could do. He also said they had submitted an inquiry to Ford's "Hotline" to see if there had been other similar complaints and remedies (the "Hotline' must be where they find Ford TSBs).

The guy also said that if the radio loses its settings again that I should immediately drive right over to the service department, do not turn off the engine, and let them check it out . The problem is, that the radio doesn't loosed its settings while I'm driving, this happens between start ups, when the system is turned off.

I don't think this is going anywhere - does anybody know of a decent replacement radio (AM/FM/CD USB/MP3) that will work in the newer Superduty trucks?

Old 07-04-2015, 07:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
there is a TSB out on the radios. March 15th TSB. I don't have much information on it.

There are certain Radios with serial #'s that are effected. Mine is one.

The fix is a new radio.

Mine will NOT come on sometimes unless I manually turn the radio off and then back on.

Have that tech look through the TSB's from March.

I will have mine replaced next week and then I will have the paperwork but he should be able to find it now.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 PM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by senix
there is a TSB out on the radios. March 15th TSB. I don't have much information on it.

There are certain Radios with serial #'s that are effected. Mine is one.

The fix is a new radio.

Mine will NOT come on sometimes unless I manually turn the radio off and then back on.

Have that tech look through the TSB's from March.

I will have mine replaced next week and then I will have the paperwork but he should be able to find it now.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the information.

OK - so there may be something to work with here. Isn't there a web site out there somewhere that lists all the Ford TSBs?

I'll let the service rep know about the March 15th TSB.

Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:41 PM
senix
Super Moderator
We don't have access to them any longer here on FTE.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 AM
DaveNTx
Mountain Pass
Hello Senix,

Did you ever get any more info on the March 15thh TSB about the factory radio?

I called the service rep at the dealership and gave him the information about the March 15th TSB and haven't heard a word back (the old service department black hole treatment).

Thanks for any info you might pass along.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 AM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like mine hasn't happened since that one instance. The battery has been replaced since then (warranty). I had no indication the battery was bad or going bad. I was in for an oil change and they said it needed to be replaced.

I'm going to say that was the problem.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I take mine in for the actual replace on Wednesday. Been busy and needed the truck.

Will update when I get my hands on it.

It took a good week to get the entire unit in.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the starter may be drawing the battery down enough to erase the memory on the radio. Especially if it is an 11 with an original battery.

Why radios cannot use non-volatile memory for presets and settings... the world may never know.

Quick Reply: Radio issue