Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

How Do I Remove A-Pillar Trim?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Senior User

kailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
How Do I Remove A-Pillar Trim?

How Do I Remove A-Pillar Trim...driver's side 2000 Expedition. Thanks.
Michelin LTX M/S2
199K miles, Draw-Tite Class IV
Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Lift upward while pulling it out.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 PM
New User

flip72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2004 trim removal

Trying to do some work on my auction buy (2004 Expedition XLT) Would anyone know if this would be the same procedure to remove the pillar trim on a 2004 Expedition? trying to get the trim off behind the "o sh#t" handle looks like some kind of bolt on either end of the handle once you remove the little plastic "hole covers" but i don't see a nut or anything that a deep socket can get a bite on? Can't seem to find the proper search terms to find anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil
Old 01-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Did you look in the hole with a light? I think they might be torx screws.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Senior User

Skauber is starting off with a positive reputation.
On mine it looks like really small hex bolts, almost looks like pins.. My smallest socket available in my set is 6 mm, and it was too big. Might be 4 or 5 mm, or maybe 1/4". I couldn't be bothered to go inside to get more tools, since my job was on the C pillar and I was just gonna pull the headliner down a little and I was able to get the job done without removing it.

If it's 1/4", that should be the standard size of the hex drive on screwdriver bits, so you may be able to use that. I think the trim will come off easily once the handle is removed, but can't say for sure as I ended up not removing mine.

Edit:

Well, just did the math. 1/4" is 6.35 mm so definitely not that. I'm on metrics, so I regularly mess up my inches...
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Did you look in the hole with a light? I think they might be torx screws.
Thanks alloro I couldn't find anything that looked like it would except any type of screw..
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skauber View Post
On mine it looks like really small hex bolts, almost looks like pins.. My smallest socket available in my set is 6 mm, and it was too big. Might be 4 or 5 mm, or maybe 1/4". I couldn't be bothered to go inside to get more tools, since my job was on the C pillar and I was just gonna pull the headliner down a little and I was able to get the job done without removing it.

If it's 1/4", that should be the standard size of the hex drive on screwdriver bits, so you may be able to use that. I think the trim will come off easily once the handle is removed, but can't say for sure as I ended up not removing mine.

Edit:

Well, just did the math. 1/4" is 6.35 mm so definitely not that. I'm on metrics, so I regularly mess up my inches...
Skauber, we have a winner! looks like I was thinking deep socket ..(I didn't have any that deep and small) but after looking at what you said .. It made sense the whole brass piece is the "bolt" so It is a 7/32nd socket that fits right over it and it came right out! NOW wait until I ask you guys about this I found behind the trim (next post)

Thanks again guys!!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM
New User

Click the image to open in full size.

OK this was tucked up behind the the trim?... This was a police SUV and they didnt spend a lot of time removing unneeded stuff when they sent it to auction.- part of what I was doing is taking out the spot light post. But this has one wire and heads into the dash (I will back track ASAP) looks like some kind of Transponder maybe? ANY thoughts some kind of standard sensor maybe? all thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Post Fiend

Could be an antenna for a remote starter, an alarm, a keyless entry, or something like that.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
New User

found all kinds of stuff

Well on my way to follow the mystery wire, I found the speaker for the police radio behind the dash with a few zip ties holding it in.

and when I got to the end of the receiver/transponder looking thing it was not connected to anything. so I guess I'll hang onto it just in case.

ok well I am learning more about interior trim removal then i ever wanted to know.... and found yet more unexplained stuff (see next post) found a cord that goes even deeper into the dash.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:56 PM
New User

Not sure .. look familiar?

sorry if i went off in a different direction than the original post! chasing shiny things!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 AM
Post Fiend

That last picture of the cable with SKN6365A on it. That's for a Motorola hands-free cell phone holder/charger kit.
Maybe that antenna was an booster antenna for the cell phone.

Motorola OEM Mobile Phone Car Holder for Moto T720
Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM
New User

Good call, I was able to remove two more cables out last night, The one with the number on it and an mini antenna type cable, looks like the sheriff had a hands free/charging motorola kit set up in the truck and when they sent it to auction someone in maintenance went to town with wire cutters. The good news is I got the trim off as requested, the bad news is I had everything so taken apart It just made sense to take out the stock cd/cassette radio... now I have to buy a nice double din size replacement , damn shiny things. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
flip - I see you are in WA. One thing to be mindful of with trim work is, if possible, work on this stuff when the interior of the car is not freezing cold. A lot of these snaps and interference fits can break in the cold. It is much more forgiving when warm.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41 View Post
flip - I see you are in WA. One thing to be mindful of with trim work is, if possible, work on this stuff when the interior of the car is not freezing cold. A lot of these snaps and interference fits can break in the cold. It is much more forgiving when warm.
10-4 Sir! I'm getting to old for that cold weather stuff myself!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM