1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What brand of '48-'52 rubber door edge seal fits the best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
What brand of '48-'52 rubber door edge seal fits the best?

Hi guys, I did a search through the post history archives going back to 2010 and couldn't find a good answer. Lots of posts on how to install it though.....

I need to buy some door weatherstripping for my '51.
I had put some new Repop ones on last year and the driver's side door would not fully close. It was too fat even after two months of having the door closed and adjusting the striker! After trying to trim it, I was disgusted with the appearance and scraped it all off.
Now I'm looking to buy some more new around-the-whole-edge seals and would like to know your recent experience with it.
What brand should I look for - which one to avoid? All I remember about the other ones I bought is that they were in heat-sealed bags with blue and white lettering.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I think Dennis C. is really the only one making them, sold by many others tho.

Your experience is what I expected, so I only put in the rear half or so at first. Within a week no door slamming needed. Unfortunately it was because my door, from the top of the wing window forward and down, was too far away from the cab, the rubber doesn't even touch.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out SoffSeal, they have excellent stuff. I used it for the woodie I made, worked great. They might even have something for our trucks, I don't have a catalog anymore but here is a link.
SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details

If you do find a good one let us all know. I will be ready to get some in several weeks too.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:17 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Avoid any rubber parts from LMC. Unless they have recently changed to a different supplier they are terrible.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 AM
vintage tin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i picked up the hollow ones from Classic Haulers last spring.but i didnt install them yet.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:55 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Installed the DC version late last fall. I'm satisfied with the fit and function. There will be some fiddling to improve the latching - which wasn't perfect before the change.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I installed the door seals from DC in the '49 and they work, fit just fine.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Don't remember where I got them, but they came in a DC bag. Had to leave the doors closed until they settled in.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM
eddie harris
New User
DOOR RUBBER

JUST ORDERED SOME FROM CLASSIC HAULERS THEY TOLD ME IT WAS AMERICAN MADE SO HERE WE GO ALSO THEY ARE IN WITH MID FIFTY SISTERS I THINK AND MID FIFTY HAS ALWAYS BEEN A STRAIGHT SHOOTER WITH ME I REALLY LIKE HOW THEY OPERATE

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by topmoo
Check out SoffSeal, they have excellent stuff. I used it for the woodie I made, worked great. They might even have something for our trucks, I don't have a catalog anymore but here is a link.
SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details

If you do find a good one let us all know. I will be ready to get some in several weeks too.
Great tip for an alternative to the normal suppliers topmoo. But I do wish that they had more info on their website (SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details - Ford Truck - F2). $208 for an anti-rattle kit seems a bit extreme without more information.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I used the peel and stick from Steele Rubber and they worked very well. The top of the door had a gap but I used some material and cut shims to push the gasket out to the door jam. that sealed the door very well. The gaskets were hollow so the door shut without any problem. I did not use the little retainers that were originally on the gaskets. Sent them to a fellow trucker in Canada.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:55 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
Great tip for an alternative to the normal suppliers topmoo. But I do wish that they had more info on their website (SoffSeal Weatherstripping & Rubber Details - Ford Truck - F2). $208 for an anti-rattle kit seems a bit extreme without more information.
I once had one of their catalogs, but I can't find it. I sent a request for a new catalog. The rubber I got for the Woodie was really nice stuff. And MYTBTRUCK reminded me of the other excellent supplier that I had forgotten about - Steele Rubber. Steele Rubber Products - Quality Crafted Automotive Rubber Parts and Weatherstripping

And another good source that I have used is this: http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
All right, thanks for the information so far guys.

Seems we have a range of approvals for different types of door seals.
I know that the first set I bought certainly FIT the features of the door as far as molded features, angles, length, and all. But when installed it was too fat and didn't flatten even after months of having the door closed. I tried to adjust the door hinges and striker plate and just ended up getting pissed at the whole seal arrangement. The door closed just fine with the old original seal and I was chasing around the best fit. And I'm not a perfectionist at all. I just didn't want the door to look like it wasn't fully closed! That seal just wasn't right and I don't want to buy another one like it.

I know the type I tried before was not hollow, so perhaps I'll buy a set of those and give them a fair chance.

Still interested in hearing more of your experiences and recommendations. I don't need to replace the seal for another month, my yard is still full of snow and we have salt all over the roads.

Thanks again guys.

Tom

Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
All right, thanks for the information so far guys.

Seems we have a range of approvals for different types of door seals.
I know that the first set I bought certainly FIT the features of the door as far as molded features, angles, length, and all. But when installed it was too fat and didn't flatten even after months of having the door closed. I tried to adjust the door hinges and striker plate and just ended up getting pissed at the whole seal arrangement. The door closed just fine with the old original seal and I was chasing around the best fit.

I know the type I tried before was not hollow, so perhaps I'll buy a set of those and give them a fair chance.

Still interested in hearing more of your experiences and recommendations.

Thanks again guys.

Tom

I got a set of new unknown brand door seals with my '56 and they are way too stiff. I've adjusted the doors to compensate but the doors still close like crap, even after three years. Someday I will buy hollow core seals and install them. I hate to slam a door.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the stuff that I got from Steele Rubber . They will have everything you need .