AOD upgrades? What shift kit is most effective?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech-man
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AOD upgrades? What shift kit is most effective?

Im replacing my worn out AOD with a fresher one, and looking to upgrade it before installation. The trans is on an engine stand now, has fresh front pump seal, T-case adapter gasket, pan gasket and filter. What is my best option? This trans is behind a fresh(9K since overhaul) 5.0, Hv oil pump and windage tray, Comp cams valvetrain, E7 heads ported, shorty headers, true duals with no cats, roller rockers, new fuel pump and injectors, ported upper and lower intakes, Edelbrock water pump, March underdrive pulleys, K&N FIPK. So in other words, she has plenty of get up and go. Just would like to take advantage of the engine performance with some snappier shifts, better launches and holeshots. My truck is 4WD, has 31x10.5x15's, is a daily driver, but does get beaten up on the weekends. Any suggestions are appreciated.......any guesses on the engine HP and TQ?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Red69
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am switching over to an AOD in my 69 to get the overdrive. I ordered the TCI constant pressure valve for about $265.00. My local speed shop guy said most failures on AOD's are due to improper adjustment of the kick down linkage which alters pressure settings on the stock valve. This new valve keeps the pressure the same regardless of linkage adjustment.

I haven't run it yet, but TCI advertises it for street and mild drag applications. I also picked up a PTI 10" converter with lock up.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech-man
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right on, I was looking into a couple upgrades to provide constant line pressure. Let me know when you get yours going, curious how your converter will treat ya....