E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant future
Post E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness.

E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More.

this is not a universal e40d help thread.it is limited only to the type of issues listed.there are many reasons for a flashing OD light/codes.here we are talking only about solenoid pack related issues.
if your unsure if your E40D shares these particular type of issues.please start a new thread.do not ask for help here.
you can however go ahead and follow the instructions posted before starting a new thread if your unsure.insuring you've got a clean trans harness,will never be a waste of your time,even if it doesn't resolve your issue at hand.

flashing OD light? getting any of these codes:
62 this ones popular.it doesn't automatically mean you have a mechanical failure/bad torque converter.in fact,it very rarely means that.
it just means the TCM sensed the converter unlocked due a break in the line between the TCM and the solenoid,it's solenoid has failed in the pack,or you really do have a mechanically failing torque converter.don't ever jump to conclusions and assume the worst.you do that,and you could end up with code 62 still even with a brand new top of the line,high end converter.

Failed shift solenoid pack plug.
This is an example of what you don't want to see! This is the main harness that the ECM uses to communicate with the transmission. If yours looks like this one,google search:
E4OD solenoid wire harness repair kit 1989-94
(that will be for all idi trucks with the E40D.)

if you have or suspect the plug is dirty,or damaged clip,etc,then it's best to buy it as soon as you can.otherwise the solenoid/tot/converter slip codes will just keep coming back.
once you replace that side,flush the s-pack pins out really good with electrical cleaner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E4OD-Transmission-Solenoid-Wire-Harness-Repair-Kit-1989-94-99608-/190820576057?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6dcaeb39&vxp=mtr
Let me google that for you

once all dried out good (must be 100%) closely inspect the pins using your mirror.scrape them up and make each brightly shine again if need be.can even drop the pan and just pull it and take your time with the pins if needed.
if you want this issue resolved for the rest of the trucks life with no more hassles,this hour or two job will do the trick.you can't make sure this connection is flawless enough.when you think it's perfect,double your efforts again x2 lol.
she'll run like brand new with perfect connection here.

this is the main line of communication between the trans controller and your transmission.these pins can't be over clean.take your time and make them shine.
upon reasonably,just before plugging it in,apply a nice dose of Permatex 22058 dielectric tune-up grease.

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube

remember now.......anything short of perfect will = failure.flashing od light.limp mode.hassles.removal of plug all the time,spraying of plug.etc.etc.etc......been there done that,got the t-shirt.it wasn't worth it.
spend the 40-45 bucks,two hours worth of time and be done with it for years and years.

oh.though it may be overkill.those crimp connectors are heat shrink style.go ahead and shrink them with heat once crimped but first,slide on some universal heat shrink tubing too so you can shrink them again.then wrap them all with e-tape like a half the roll.then wire loom,and wire tie.you want no hassles.overkill here is ok.

hmm.know what,i think this might be the most detailed thread about insuring this bulkhead connector is 100% flawless,that im going to save it and reference others to it,as it's such a common issue.save me some future typing.
so then,i might add for better search results the common codes a bad plug can cause:

possible related codes due to a bad s-pack or connector (either side)

Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) sensor out of range

Transmission Torque Converter clutch not engaging (guessing on this one.seems likely though if a connection can't be made.)

E4OD excessive converter clutch slippage

Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) signal low (possibly grounded)

Transmission SS 1 circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission SS 2 circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission EPC circuit/solenoid failure

Transmission EPC circuit/solenoid failure

so basically as you can see,any of the type of codes that would be related to a faulty connection between trans control unit/TCM and the solenoids.makes sense right?
oh,that statement reminds me of a pic.then let me help you get the idea of what this is with this pic:

(s-pack = short for solenoid pack.pretty obvious but it's a made up abbreviation by me to save typing,so i shouldn't assume all will know what im talking about lol.)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 PM
New User

jjqllc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the write up! Good pics too. Saved this one.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Posting Guru

Phy has a good reputation on FTE.Phy has a good reputation on FTE.
Another spot to look at:
The wiring harness for the trans goes from the solenoid pack plug over the top of the trans to the drivers side, picks up the wires from the MLPS, and goes up into the engine compartment. It has a couple of connectors on the drivers side inner fender, under the steering column. I had a sporadic 99 code that turned out to be in these connectors...

Great write-up HDXLT!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM
The Southernmost Mod

Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
Good job FORDF250!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 PM
New User

Gtxx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks man,
I bought the plug weeks ago, rain here like never before for weeks. Today I started on the harness plug , and now it's supposed to rain agin. Just my luck. But thanks for the great info. My wires looks just like yours. Maybe worse, got my work cut out .thx again
Gtxx
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM
The Southernmost Mod

Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
I recently had some weird behavior of my trans and I'm pretty sure this was the cause, since my plug is wrecked and I went through some deep water.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 AM
New User

Well Encho,
I did a jam up job on the plug replacement and wire routing but it got dark n started to rain. So I cleaned as best I could and connected plug and battery posts. Everything looked good but when it dries up I will reclean and dielectric grease again. Hard to get in that socket and not damage pins. Got some elect spray cleaner and air compressor , hope it doesn't attack the plastic. Going to pull codes in a few and see what's up. Wish me luck, and thanks,
And btw the od light started flashing before the truck warmed up good
Hmmmmm?!
Gtxx
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM
New User

HDXLT! Because of this great write up I've made progress. Cleared tps code changed solenoid plug and cleaned connections l & r side of xmsn and differential. Now od light still flashing always . I have a maf and tot code now. Reset tps to 1.203 idle - 4.038 wot (is that factory specs ?) Was set @ 1.1 - 3.8 I think, and shifted really good. No od before 40 mph after warm up. I don't know what's the shift points specs are, so what I think is good might not be correct. It's shifting in higher rpm and holding gears longer. Will have to test drive again to pinpoint what's happening .
......also, Do you have to change the whole solenoid pack if the tot is bad, or just the tot sensor itself ,should it be bad. I saw a test article briefly somewhere on that but I wanted u guys input.
How does one Ck the MAF and where is it on this 94 7.3 idi e4od non turbo.
Forgive me, for what I lack in knowledge , I make up in ignorance. Lol.
Btw that is some really well organized and illustrated info.
Thx ...
Gtxx
Old 05-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Elder User

Realslowww is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just curious, a C6 is how much less hassel .... I have one with a Gear Vendors overdrive.....
Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 PM
The Southernmost Mod

The C6 should have 0 electrical connectors for all I know, they have nothing electrical in them, so 0 hassle.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The only electrical on a C6 is the neutral safety switch/back up light switch.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtxx View Post
HDXLT! Because of this great write up I've made progress. Cleared tps code changed solenoid plug and cleaned connections l & r side of xmsn and differential. Now od light still flashing always . I have a maf and tot code now. Reset tps to 1.203 idle - 4.038 wot (is that factory specs ?) Was set @ 1.1 - 3.8 I think, and shifted really good. No od before 40 mph after warm up. I don't know what's the shift points specs are, so what I think is good might not be correct. It's shifting in higher rpm and holding gears longer. Will have to test drive again to pinpoint what's happening .
......also, Do you have to change the whole solenoid pack if the tot is bad, or just the tot sensor itself ,should it be bad. I saw a test article briefly somewhere on that but I wanted u guys input.
How does one Ck the MAF and where is it on this 94 7.3 idi e4od non turbo.
Forgive me, for what I lack in knowledge , I make up in ignorance. Lol.
Btw that is some really well organized and illustrated info.
Thx ...
Gtxx
good to hear your working out the bugs.
yes.you've got the TPS dialed in very nicely right there.

yes.you will need to replace the whole solenoid pack if the tot sensor is bad im afraid.
use caution; they don't fail often.the odds are much higher of corroded wires/connections causing the fault code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Just curious, a C6 is how much less hassel .... I have one with a Gear Vendors overdrive.....
electrical issues are just part of the hassles of all trucks in general.there's no avoiding them.generally this trans is very easy to diagnose and repair of electrical gremlins.
the old c6 simply has it's own hassles.it's outdated and doesn't make for a great daily driver anymore because though cheap to buy,they are very expensive to operate.it's not just the lack of OD but the lack of a locking converter.
this makes for a great old school trans in say a '68 t-bird which is driven for fun but not the best choice in say a '93 truck that you use everyday.less hassle but much greater cost of ownership expense.much easier to learn how to count a beep and a flashing light and just replace a sensor from time to time.

though your c6 GV setup is a good one too.
i wouldn't mind having your gear vendors in my f450 with her 5.13 gearing.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:04 PM
New User

Thanks hdxlt
When the rain soaked area dries up I'm revisiting my connections again. Dang I had such a jam up tape job on the harness. I hope that's my prob. I asked my mech about the e4od , said he wouldn't touch it and that I knew more than he about it. That's why I trust him , he's honest. Back to sq 2, and searching threads for info on testing tot sensor. Would tot code or flashing od light cause limp mode activation and harder shifts?
Thanks
Btw.. Sometimes I wish I did have a 5spd man xmsn. I luv this truck, it's just not luvin me back right now. Lol
I Appreciate all help thus far.
Thx agin.... Gtxx
Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 PM
New User

Rckhound is starting off with a positive reputation.
TPS

What is the procedure to make sure the TPS is adjusted properly?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Elder User

Resendiz is starting off with a positive reputation.
This might be just what I need. Thanks!