1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

OEM Toolbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Toolbox

Was there ever any OEM or dealer accessory toolboxes offered on these trucks for mounting under the hood?

My 70 F250 has a small....maybe 16" long, 8" wide 6" high toolbox mounted very professionally on the left side inner fender, in front of the original jack holddown.

Either it came with the truck originally, or some PO did an exceptional installation.

Right now it is swimming in a washing soda bath, if it was original I will put it back, if now, one more thing I can toss.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Serfbored
Was there ever any OEM or dealer accessory toolboxes offered on these trucks for mounting under the hood?

My 70 F250 has a small....maybe 16" long, 8" wide 6" high toolbox mounted very professionally on the left side inner fender, in front of the original jack holddown.

Either it came with the truck originally, or some PO did an exceptional installation.

Right now it is swimming in a washing soda bath, if it was original I will put it back, if now, one more thing I can toss.
From the factory I'd have to say no. I found no reference to one in my old micro-fische. So just to make sure I looked up everything around it. Jack,Wiper reservoir, and left inner fender since Ford would have made one pre-drilled and reinforced for one. While the last two parts mentioned with or wihout Power Pack (Onan generator) they did not mention a tool box. Maybe an aftermarket accessory kit? Jowilker would prolly know. He's a whiz at this kinda stuff. I have seen this tool box referenced on this Forum recently. I don't remember who it was.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
Easy, earlier reference was also me

Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
80's Bronco's have one.. Black with having a lid, inside bottom base aluminum reinforcement square..
orich

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The donor truck I got my hood from had a really nicely made tool box in that same area.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
It is ready to come out of its electrolysis bath, I will get some primer on it and shoot up a pic with it in its original spot.

The inside of it was lined with 1/2 inch dense felt, I am guessing to keep the rattle of the tools to a minimum.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by orich
80's Bronco's have one.. Black with having a lid, inside bottom base aluminum reinforcement square..
orich
Good Job Orich. The basic number on that box is 46100. Taking that 46100 and going in to my Ford 1964/72 micro-fische, Ford listed the bedside box,in-cab box which took the place of a gas tank, and a on the bed rail "contractor's" box. AKA what everybody buys now-a-days. But no under the hood one.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM
orich
Lead Driver
I make the rounds one a week to pnp when weather is good.So my eyes are always open.
I was once going to install one of those bronco under the hood tool boxes, but don't want to give up my dual batteries for one.

I still had a small for many yrs when, I had a c/o camper on for many yrs.
Since removing camper remove it. Now just use the one behind the seat one.
orich

Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
This is said toolbox, and where it sits. First 3 pics

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Serfbored's Album: Garage - '70 CS

Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Wow that's a tool box for sure. I used one about 1/2 that size. Just had a few hand tools to get by with extra set of points feeler ga, one extra spark plug, some plies two types of screw drivers plug wrench. Some tape & bailing wire, Nuts & a few bolts. Always carried my tool box in the camper if needed out on the road. Plus having a camper on your truck you seem to haul everything you'll every possibly need and never use most while camping..
orich

Old 04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Serfbored
This is said toolbox, and where it sits. First 3 pics

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Serfbored's Album: Garage - '70 CS
HMMM. I've seen that wiper reservoir before. It is not the normal one for a Bump. I think it's the one Ford lists for a Power Pack. Out of curiousity where the bolts that go from the mount brackets to the inner fender, are those holes looking like a PO drilled them or do they have some Ford threaded inserts?

Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM
77blue
Junior User
That looks like it had a handle to carry it around, so I don't think it was anything Ford would have offered.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
HMMM. I've seen that wiper reservoir before. It is not the normal one for a Bump. I think it's the one Ford lists for a Power Pack. Out of curiousity where the bolts that go from the mount brackets to the inner fender, are those holes looking like a PO drilled them or do they have some Ford threaded inserts?

No threaded insert of any type, but the holes, in the toolbox, brackets and inner fender all look cleaner than PO drilled holes, they kinda look factory punched.

Orich, I see you mentioned baling wire and tape.....when did you own a Chebby

Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Serfbored
Senior User
Well, as this does not seem to be original, I am going to toss it, it is pretty beat up. I do like the idea of having a bit of tool/spare part storage there, so I will probably get a shiny new toolbox to put there.

Thanks for the responses and input.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Binkowski
More Turbo
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
great idea

That's got to be one of the smartest things I have seen in a while. Gonna have to copy that idea.

Kinda surprised it's not already in one of the stack of catalogs I have next to me for these trucks.

Hmm,....

Quick Reply: OEM Toolbox