1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Really need a paint expert!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
A few questions..........

Are the surfaces that are cratering primed or just scuffed old paint? And if you're shooting primer or sealer are they reacting at all when they're shot. Did you start with bare metal and build up your foundation with epoxy on the bare metal then primer surfacer and then top coat....and was there any reaction with any of those applications.

If you're shooting over old paint and it keeps cratering even though you've cleaned it and done everything to make sure it's clean then the old paint probably was treated with fish eye eliminator and your only option would be to strip it to bare metal and start over or........introduce fish eye eliminator to your paint (which I personally wouldn't do).

The unfortunate thing about these kind of problems is that they may go away without you being able to figure out what caused them.

I'm inclined to think that you may be taking the contamination to the panels even while you're cleaning them. Example.......if you're wearing a fish eye causing antiperspirant you would actually be recontaminating the surface as you wipe the panels down.

Just some things to consider. I would really like to know what is causing the fish eyes if you manage figure it out.
Drew,
I started with bare metal (either sand blasted or hand stripped) that was epoxy primed, filled and blocked where needed, then multiple 2k prime and long board and finally wet sanded with 400. I never had any signs of cratering until after I wet sanded. I believe as I indicated in an earlier post that one of the rags that I used keeping the surfaces wet while wet sanding had gotten cross contaminated from being washed with other rags. The cratering showed up when I tried to shoot color. All that said, I think that I just can't completely clean the contamination, which I believe to be silicone, out of the primer.
This will go down as a huge lesson learned.
Do you have a recommendation for a paint stripper that will not also lift the filler?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
There's no chemical strippers that i know of that won't contaminate everything. If you think you've got problems now with fisheyes, try putting paint over the top of paint stripper. personally, I would machine sand everything you need to strip. That way you know what you have, and where you need to go. To do it quickly, I'd use what we call a whiz pad, which is an 8" sanding pad on a circular buffer/grinder (not an oscillating or DA type) and 36 or 40 grit round sandpaper discs. It makes pretty quick work of removing paint and materials.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
To do it quickly, I'd use what we call a whiz pad, which is an 8" sanding pad on a circular buffer/grinder (not an oscillating or DA type) and 36 or 40 grit round sandpaper discs. It makes pretty quick work of removing paint and materials.
Wayne, Thanks for your response and your thoughts.
I have to admit that I am a bit reluctant to be aggressive on the hood. I have used I think what you call a whiz pad on rough fiberglass on a boat. It was/is a good straight hood. It has very little filler. The doors do have filler, one in particular. On the doors, I will sandblast all but the big "flat" outer panels and I guess that maybe 80 grit on a DA in those areas since I would like to try and save the blocked shape of the filled areas.. I originally chem stripped the "flat" areas of the hood, both top and underside and sandblasted the edges. I never had problems with primer until after wet sanding when I believe I contaminated the surface.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Well, the doors are back to mostly bare steel. I DA'ed the large outside "flat" areas and sandblasted the rest. I think that I have retained the blocked flat filler but removed the primer. I took it to my friends booth. I will do a little filler tune up in the AM and prime in the PM. I was here a long time ago on these doors. I hate this level of rework!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All good replies, I agree with Charlie on the oil from the air supply and I also use anti-fisheye additive as a matter of course. I hate surprises that require a rework

Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
The fisheye in the hood imho was too severe to be oil in the air supply. Based on where it was and how I wet sanded the underside of the hood, silicone contamination from one of the rags when wet sanding is what makes sense. Yesterday I stripped the doors and today I blocked the doors and got them back into prime. I am gun shy to work in my shop so I worked outside yesterday and then in my friends paint booth today to shoot the primer. I am going to work the doors at his shop all the way through color. Stripping the doors yesterday was a giant step backward!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Well just consider it an extra blocking, more sanding never hurts anything. Good luck this go around!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
What was the outcome of the fisheye problem? I'm curious if you ever figured out what was causing them.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
What was the outcome of the fisheye problem? I'm curious if you ever figured out what was causing them.
Drew, I brought the doors back into final color after sandblasting the jams and inside of the doors and then using a DA on the outer flater surface. No problems but the cure was not trivial. I will have to strip the hood and running board top surfaces back to bare metal. I am pretty sure that I used a rag when wet sanding that became contaminated with DOT 5 by washing several rags together one of which I think I wiped up some brake fluid, careless.
A tough lesson learned allowing DOT 5 into my shop.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 49willard
Drew, I brought the doors back into final color after sandblasting the jams and inside of the doors and then using a DA on the outer flater surface. No problems but the cure was not trivial. I will have to strip the hood and running board top surfaces back to bare metal. I am pretty sure that I used a rag when wet sanding that became contaminated with DOT 5 by washing several rags together one of which I think I wiped up some brake fluid, careless.
A tough lesson learned allowing DOT 5 into my shop.
A tough lesson to learn, but a good one. I bet that never happens to you again! And we all learned too. Good luck with it now.