Sponsored by: DP Tuner

iPhone and Dashcommand with my 02 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone and Dashcommand with my 02 7.3

So I went ahead and purchased Dashcommand for my iPhone and a WIFI ELM 327 for my OBD2 port. I have been impressed and really like it. I also purchased OBD Fusion and didn't like it at all. Waste of my money. Anyways back to dashcommand: I purchased the extended parameters for my 2002. That made the whole difference. With the parameters that comes with dashcommand wasn't very handy for the diesel. My dads 2001 V10 worked great. So I'm in this $10 for the app $10 for the extended parameters and $20 for a WIFI obd2. Way cheaper than all the gauges I can do with this. Here is what my gauges look like:
At idle:

Accelerating:

I watch the EOT with the boost as a digital spot, TFT, ICP with the volts in the digital spot. I didn't have any trouble getting it all set up. Took me a bit to get everything figured out....well so far. I haven't had it for too long. Here is how I set it all up:
Set up your vehicle first

Then go to advanced settings for a few more things to input. I don't know all of these so I didn't fill them in. The MAF-Lambda PID info is only if you have an external sensor hooked up. That is why they are blank. Please feel free to correct anything you know of

Now here is the important part pertaining to the powerstroke. In the advanced OBDII settings you need to change the response timeout to 1000 milliseconds and disable the $09 support. Like this:

When I set up my gauges there are a lot of options listed, I only used the ones that said FORD._____. I found this actually made it work. You have the ability to choose the different styles of gauges, limits, and warnings. I have since changed my ICP to be much higher that I previously had it. Here is what my OBDII adapter looks like:

Here is where I have my phone. Sorry it wouldn't let me rotate the picture:

So far I've been really impressed. I did turn off the GPS for the app, I didn't think I needed it. Plus it helps the battery life. I really don't use the dashboard, it seamed like too much information to me. I did download a few that people have custom made for a 7.3 and 6.0. You can make your own dashboard, but I haven't done that yet. I don't think I will, I just want it for the few gauges I've already made. This is my first write up. I hope it all makes sense. I have an iPhone 5c if you are wondering.
How the PID's look to choose from:

You can see the FORD.ENGINE.ICP. That is what I'm talking about when I say I choose the ones that say FORD._____

Here are the PID that are for Ford the FORD._____ ones.
intake manifold runner control command open
Mass air flow sensor voltage
Manifold absolute pressure - filtered
Manifold gauge pressure
Waste gate control duty cycle
Barometric pressure
Barometric pressure, filtered
Fuel level input sensor
Injection control pressure, filtered
Long term fuel trim, bank 1 & 2
Short term fuel trim, bank 1 & 2
Exhaust back pressure, filtered
Glow plug coil duty cycle
Engine load
Net engine torque
Throttle position mode
Battery voltage
Currently misfiring
Total number of misfires
Cumulative number of misfires - cylinder 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Field octane adjustment request (spark retard)
Spark advance
Engine rpm
Vehicle speed sensor
Output shaft speed
Calculated slip across torque converter
Turbine shaft speed
Engine coolant temperature
Engine oil temperature, filtered
Intake air temperature
Manifold air temperature
Command gear for transmission
Gear ratio
Transmission gear ratio
Transmission fluid temperature, no FMEM Net engine torque

Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 PM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I might need to check that out. I just installed appradio 3 in my 2000 f350 CCLB and dash command is one of the apps that I can play right on the 7" screen. I looked into it a little and it seemed like from what I read that they didn't support the 7.3l platform. I'm glad to hear that it's working. The other thing that I read was that older trucks like mine wouldn't work a lot of times but newer trucks like yours '02 '03 were. Any chance you know anyone with a 2000 that you could try it out on? The other thing I saw people complaining about was it shutting the engine off when it was hooked up. I guess it would work under certain situations but when people would try to drive it would shut off and the elm 327 would need to be removed to restart. When I downloaded engine link on my iphone I accidentally ordered a Bluetooth elm 327 not realizing that iPhone is very specific on the Bluetooth devices it works with? I was holding off on ordering the wifi elm327 but with your report I might be back on the search. Maybe it's just a lot of work to make these things work well with the 7.3l that isn't produced anymore but it sure would be nice of they would. Thanks for the write up. I will be following the thread.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
I know of a few people that have a 2000. I'll try it out on one and let you know.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 AM
jhobbs26
Senior User
can it do a buzz or CCT test?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 AM
kefrko
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ralleyclimber
I know of a few people that have a 2000. I'll try it out on one and let you know.
thank you very much. That would be awesome. So just to clarify. Your set up does work when driving the truck the same as in park?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jhobbs26
can it do a buzz or CCT test?
I wouldn't be in such a rush on this one. The last time I did a buzz with an App, it put my truck in a mode that couldn't be cleared by cycling the key. I'm not saying never do a buzz with an App - I'm saying "Stall the truck? Modify the engine behavior? Shouldn't we learn more about what's going on before we damage our trucks with a $20 scan tool?"

Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

I wouldn't be in such a rush on this one. The last time I did a buzz with an App, it put my truck in a mode that couldn't be cleared by cycling the key. I'm not saying never do a buzz with an App - I'm saying "Stall the truck? Modify the engine behavior? Shouldn't we learn more about what's going on before we damage our trucks with a $20 scan tool?"
Shouldn't we learn more about what's going on before we damage our trucks, regardless of product price?

The reason I trust AE is because of reputation, not because the price tag suggests it's works.

My point being, $20 or not, we need people to test these products and see what they are capable of. Risks assumed and understood of course.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM
ralleyclimber
Senior User
Here is what the manual states about tests:
"Before we start, DashCommand is a read-only diagnostic logging tool. It cannot do any flashing, modifying, tuning, CASE relearns, injector tests, or any other bi-directional control."
The palmerperformance forums say that they are working on it. I don't know how soon that will be released or if it will.

I haven't tried data logging yet. I set up the PID's I want logged and will try that out soon and let you all know how that went.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Shouldn't we learn more about what's going on before we damage our trucks, regardless of product price?

The reason I trust AE is because of reputation, not because the price tag suggests it's works.

My point being, $20 or not, we need people to test these products and see what they are capable of. Risks assumed and understood of course.
Show of hands... who's next? I already put some skin in the game.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Not me. My truck must get me 56 miles to work everyday.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Not me. My truck must get me 56 miles to work everyday.
Ah... a "same page" thing.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
ralleyclimber, that looks like a great setup for iOS users! Now those with iOS can enjoy similar monitoring features Android guys like myself have with the Torque Pro App.

Show of hands... who's next? I already put some skin in the game.
If by that you mean proclaim an App can't do the job, be proven wrong, then do a write up followed by 'tinkering' with the coding which resulted in issues that you blame the product for?

Jokes aside, you guys need to chill out. From the looks of it, Dash Command supports only basic monitoring NOT diagnostic self tests. There was nothing mentioned about CCT/Buzz tests other than someone asking if this App was capable.

While you guys do have a point, an App for iOS that could perform diagnostic self tests would have to be tried out first...I still don't think the probability of 'serious engine damage' is as high as people make it out to be. At least when the App/device is being used as it was intended.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I realize it isn't an iOS app, but I've used Car Gauge Pro to do buzz and CCT several times now without any ill effect. The app is far from intuitive and user friendly, though.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've had OBDII apps throw Stinky and Stingy (P'us) into SES mode that can't be recovered by recycling the key... without doing any changes at all to the app before it happened. The App will work just fine and I take it in the house, then the next morning - flashing lights, clicking relays, strange noises... a kaleidoscope of computerized carnage.

The problem is those cursed automatic updates - they roll in and the app freaks out, taking the vehicle down with it. A reboot takes care of the app, but that's a press of the button. It's a more complex procedure to reboot an ECU/PCM. I've had to clear Vehicular Cranial Rectumitous more than once with AE, on two vehicles that are as different as it gets.

I've put the whole project on "pause" until things settle down a bit, or August: That's when the good WiFi OBDII adaptor comes out.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
I've had OBDII apps throw Stinky and Stingy (P'us) into SES mode that can't be recovered by recycling the key... without doing any changes at all to the app before it happened. The App will work just fine and I take it in the house, then the next morning - flashing lights, clicking relays, strange noises... a kaleidoscope of computerized carnage.

The problem is those cursed automatic updates - they roll in and the app freaks out, taking the vehicle down with it. A reboot takes care of the app, but that's a press of the button. It's a more complex procedure to reboot an ECU/PCM. I've had to clear Vehicular Cranial Rectumitous more than once with AE, on two vehicles that are as different as it gets.

I've put the whole project on "pause" until things settle down a bit, or August: That's when the good WiFi OBDII adaptor comes out.
For the auto updates, I'm not sure what settings you have on your Android device, but mine requires me to accept the updates before they are applied. Much like my setup with my Windows machines. On your F250, weren't you having issues just before you identified an issue with your Hydra chip? It is just strange that you are the only person I've heard of so far that had issues of that sort.

I can't speak on the topic of WiFi OBDII adapters but I've had exceptional results with my Bluetooth adapter. This is the one I bought as well as one of my neighbors:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Quick Reply: iPhone and Dashcommand with my 02 7.3