6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

First day after Bullet proof package, funny noise then no Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Shipster
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First day after Bullet proof package, funny noise then no Start

Just had the bullet proof package done to my 2007 F250 6.0. Head studs, Head gaskets, oil cooler, EGR delete, blue spring, FICM, and some minor things.

First day out of the shop, hard to get it started but it starts. ( guy tells me there is air in the oil and should be fine after a few starts) Headed to 4 wheel parts for an exchange on stabilizer shocks this morning and I hear some sort of loud buzzing noise. Seems like its coming from rear of the motor. I start to pull over after about 10 seconds of it and I hear a loud POP, I could feel the pop. Then nothing, I pull over, get out, and cant see anything leaking or hanging or dragging under the truck. So I continued about 5 miles down the road and I reach my destination, no issues on performance at all. I turn the truck off, go inside, do the exchange and return to the truck. Turn it over and it wont start, I tried letting it pump a few times then turned it over and still no start. Did this off and on for a little less than an hour. I let the truck cool completely down, tried again. Nothing. Oil gauge wont lift, and TBC Fault shown on display. Had it towed back to the shop that did the work.

Here is the deal, nobody I spoke with can tell me what the buzzing noise and pop was. But I did see someone talking about it on another forum asking another guy with starting issues if he had heard any recent buzzing sounds while driving.

I have had several people give me several different ideas on what the starting issue could be but not the noise I heard. What I heard wasn't good. My question is what do you guys think it might be or could have been. I feel it is related to the repairs that were done and also the reason why my truck wont start.

$6700.00 later and the first day out of the shop I have to have it towed again. I just want my truck back.

Not to mention the first guy I took it to left it in his shop for 11 days and never popped the hood after telling me they were working on it. So I had it towed to a different guy. Now this. Cant catch a break I guess.

Let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks

2007 F250 6.0 Lariat

Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Sounds like a high pressure oil leak in the hpop area. The buzzing was probably oil escaping, the pop couldve been it blowing out totally, and the no start is probably due to a big hpop leak. Do you have a scangauge?. You need to see what the hpop is doing.you could also pull the ipr and check the screen. Could be something as simple as that causing a no start. I think id have it towed directly where it was worked on though, before you dig into it.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shipster
Just had the bullet proof package done to my 2007 F250 6.0. Head studs, Head gaskets, oil cooler, EGR delete, blue spring, FICM, and some minor things.

First day out of the shop, hard to get it started but it starts. ( guy tells me there is air in the oil and should be fine after a few starts) Headed to 4 wheel parts for an exchange on stabilizer shocks this morning and I hear some sort of loud buzzing noise. Seems like its coming from rear of the motor. I start to pull over after about 10 seconds of it and I hear a loud POP, I could feel the pop. Then nothing, I pull over, get out, and cant see anything leaking or hanging or dragging under the truck. So I continued about 5 miles down the road and I reach my destination, no issues on performance at all. I turn the truck off, go inside, do the exchange and return to the truck. Turn it over and it wont start, I tried letting it pump a few times then turned it over and still no start. Did this off and on for a little less than an hour. I let the truck cool completely down, tried again. Nothing. Oil gauge wont lift, and TBC Fault shown on display. Had it towed back to the shop that did the work.

Here is the deal, nobody I spoke with can tell me what the buzzing noise and pop was. But I did see someone talking about it on another forum asking another guy with starting issues if he had heard any recent buzzing sounds while driving.

I have had several people give me several different ideas on what the starting issue could be but not the noise I heard. What I heard wasn't good. My question is what do you guys think it might be or could have been. I feel it is related to the repairs that were done and also the reason why my truck wont start.

$6700.00 later and the first day out of the shop I have to have it towed again. I just want my truck back.

Not to mention the first guy I took it to left it in his shop for 11 days and never popped the hood after telling me they were working on it. So I had it towed to a different guy. Now this. Cant catch a break I guess.

Let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks

2007 F250 6.0 Lariat

Your experience is a familiar and often lamented story in 6.0 lore.

I do not know what the problem is with your motor but you are in the right place.

The first comment will be for you to get a scanner (SCT scanner) and read the codes.

If possible, I would have the vehicle engine scanned and examined by and entity that is not related to the shop that performed the work so that you get a accurate assessment of the problem.

If the shop that did the work is negligent or incompetent, they will simply blame the failure on something that is not their fault and make you pay for them to repair what they screwed up.

Remember The Following Also
It has been proven that, for trucks covered by collision insurance, collision insurance will pay for some engine failures such as bad fuel. I believe some owners on this site have received as much as $10,000 to cover damage caused by bad fuel.

I believe the key to a successful claim is a "third party". (Fuel supplier, mechanic, etc.). IF the engine blows up on its own due to manufacturing flaws or negligent design or user abuse, one is typically out of luck. But if one gets "bad fuel" from a gas station, for example, insurance companies may very well cover such failures.

Point is, if you have collision or comprehensive insurance on your truck, call your insurance agent and ask them what is covered. Tell them you are not sure if the current problem is due to bad fuel or bad mechanic and what evidence they need to file a claim (fuel sample, independent shop evaluation of failure . . . ).

If your insurance company says they will cover damage caused by "bad fuel" and not "bad mechanic", pour bad fuel in your truck. LOL, Just kidding.

No, just give that information to your mechanic so he can make a determination as to the cause of the failure.

In any event, Good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Shipster
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I went ahead and had it towed to the shop that did the work. Just hope he doesn't call me and say it wasn't related to the repairs and its gonna be another $1400.00 bucks to get me on the road.

Wouldn't the truck stall if the LPOP or HPOP blew? After the noise I drove for at least another 15 minutes with no performance issues.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Because it still made high pressure oil pressure. As soon as you shut it down it lost pressure to the injectors and couldnt make enough to fire again. Ill bet its a leak right where the hpop is. Branch tube or something let go.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Shipster
Freshman User
Talked to him earlier, he said it was the FICM. He put a new one in when I had the bulletproof done due to the fact that I was having an issue with the truck running rough first thing in the morning. He said that was most likely the noise I heard. He said they swapped it out and it fired right up. Gonna pick it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The FICM popped???? I seriously doubt that. Which makes me wonder what he is covering up

Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Clay H
Elder User
I was gonna say FICM.
Glad its fixed for you.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shipster
Talked to him earlier, he said it was the FICM. He put a new one in when I had the bulletproof done due to the fact that I was having an issue with the truck running rough first thing in the morning. He said that was most likely the noise I heard. He said they swapped it out and it fired right up. Gonna pick it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
The first thing that came to mind when you said you heard a pop was a CAC boot blowing off. Now that you have spent all of that money make sure you get yourself some good gauges that read live data to protect your investment. A lot of guys here use the scan gauge II that can be had at autozone for around 160 bucks or one of the smartphone apps like Dashboss for IOS devices or torque pro for android or my personal favorite the Edge Insight CTS.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
And it drove fine after the pop noise?. With a missing boot you wouldve heard the boost leak.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Shipster
Freshman User
He said it was a defective FICM. Said it does happen, not often, but it does. If I get her back today Ill take a few photos of her to show you guys. Shes really pretty, and tough.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
How did this turn out?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Buzzing then pop, sounds like an electrical fuse to me. Every time I've blown a transformer or power supply it buzzes then pops. FICM sounds like a reasonable explanation to the problem. It also usually doesn't smell all too pleasant. i suggest you ask to see the part, if you have any doubt. Perhaps one of our FICM experts will chime in on this one.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Shipster
Freshman User
It was the FICM. He said when they took it apart it was destroyed. My truck still kinda has a hard start but starts. I guess time will tell. I said I would post some photos so here is my baby.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 PM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
Good looking truck. Keep tabs on those hard starts. After a couple days i would venture to guess it should start right up. Again, nice rig!

Quick Reply: First day after Bullet proof package, funny noise then no Start