Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Mirrors on 52 F1 door hinge

I have searched with no luck finding an answer. I am trying to put my doors back on with the curved arm mirrors that are supposed to fit. I did find that on '51 and '52 the hinge needs to be slightly ground down. The mirror mount is too shallow to line up with the holes on the hinge unless it is out in front where the set screws would have nothing to set on. I ground one of my hinges down as far as I dare to and it still won't quite fit. I can't see any way to get these mirrors to work. Anybody else have the same problem? Any solutions? I wonder if the other mirrors available have the same problem.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Posting Guru

topmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to beholdtopmoo is a splendid one to behold
Ok, just overly cautious. All the replies got me motivated to do some more grinding. Got it to fit.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Haven't heard of that issue before. Whose mirrors are they? Hope you remember not to pound the pin thru without support under the bottom part of the mirror bracket?!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Posting Guru

rhopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rhopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my 48, I had to grind the mirrors. It was in the area of the set screw, had to curve it a little.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Haven't heard of that issue before. Whose mirrors are they? Hope you remember not to pound the pin thru without support under the bottom part of the mirror bracket?!
Yes, they went in great with a hardwood block below. I had to grind off about 1/16"+ of the curve on the hinge so that the holes would line up. Also had to grind off the casting line on the back of surface of the mirror mount and a little more - like rhopper. These came from Dennis Carpenter from Taiwan. At first I was afraid that I might grind through the hinge, hard to tell just how thick it was. I got online and read from several sites that the 51-52 had fatter hinges and they needed a little grinding. More than a little... but got it to fit. Now on to the passenger side.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Posting Guru

This is how much I had to grind off on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks