6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New 6.7 and About to Take Long Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 6.7 and About to Take Long Trip

I have a 2014 F350 DRW with the 6.7. In June I'll be taking it from Fairbanks Alaska to Seattle to pick up a 36 foot 5th wheel trailer. Since I have little experience with driving a diesel, I would like some advice on what spare parts (ie fuel filter, etc) I should carry with me. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a jug of DEF, an extra fuel filter, a clear glass jar for draining fuel into checking for water in the filter. Read the owners manual and keep it with the truck. Locate and keep in the truck the 1-800 Ford Roadside Assistance card. Now go have a good trip and don't worry it will be a fun trip.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Take a jug of DEF, an extra fuel filter, a clear glass jar for draining fuel into checking for water in the filter. Read the owners manual and keep it with the truck. Locate and keep in the truck the 1-800 Ford Roadside Assistance card. Now go have a good trip and don't worry it will be a fun trip.
Thanks. I've read thru the manual (before and after getting the truck). So much info that I can't remember it all.

Tom

Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Yes, extra fuel and oil filters and 5 gal of def. If you go to ford and buy their fill spout I know it will work on the wally world blue def 2.5 gal jugs.

Using the ford fill spout you cannot over fill and there are zero drips.

Just rinse the fill spout with water when finished to preserve it.

Also take along a jack in case you get a flat on the 5er, tire guage capable of 80 psi.

I would recommend a cold tire pressure of 80 psi in the truck and trailer. Check the trailer tires they should be e-rated 80 psi.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow. You will def need some diesel, especially on the way back.

Air compressor, spares for trailer, blocking wood to drive the trailer up on for tire changing, tow strap.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 AM
C1776M
Freshman User
Assuming you won't be using cruise control pulling the trailer... be mindful that these trucks can pull that trailer like it's not even there. My first trip with my 40' 5er from NC to TX I looked down several hours into the trip and realized I was going over 85 on the interstate like it was nothing.

That'll drink up some diesel for sure and a trailer blow out at that speed could cause some damage.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I always use cruise control and set it at 65 mph.

I get just over 10 mpgs with mine.

If I were a betting man and planning a trip I always calculate at around 8 mpgs for budget purposes.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well since no one else has asked I will, what kind of RV is it your picking up and bringing home?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 AM
C1776M
Freshman User
I got about 9 mpg on the way there. Used cruise control on the way back at 65 mph and got about 10-10.5 mpg. Different routes and weather conditions so it's not a difinitive comparison. But all in all cruise is my friend because I tend to have a heavy foot and people tend to get out of the way of my big black truck with my camper.

I hadn't had my truck or trailer long before this trip and didn't know what to expect with mpg, wish I had planned on 8 for the budget!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just do whatever you would normally do with any vehicle...

cold weather gear (for YOU !)

re fuel and def - get a phone app for the truck stops (Pilot/flying J has a good one) and use their pumps for both def and fuel... little bit more costly, but you will know where they are and can plan accordingly !

assume long bed so you have the larger fuel tank - so guess about 300- 400 miles per tank...

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Well since no one else has asked I will, what kind of RV is it your picking up and bringing home?
A 2015 Keystone Montana 3625RE. Waiting for it to be built, but it is suppose to be ready for pickup on June 7th.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 AM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by C1776M
I got about 9 mpg on the way there. Used cruise control on the way back at 65 mph and got about 10-10.5 mpg. Different routes and weather conditions so it's not a difinitive comparison. But all in all cruise is my friend because I tend to have a heavy foot and people tend to get out of the way of my big black truck with my camper.

I hadn't had my truck or trailer long before this trip and didn't know what to expect with mpg, wish I had planned on 8 for the budget!

I've had the truck since Jan, and with 4000 miles on it have been getting 13 to 16 depending on how much in town driving (not much as this is Fairbanks). Have been estimating 10 mpg.

Have two 5 gallon jugs to carry, as well as the DEF. It's a long way between stations on the Trans-Canadian Hwy.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 AM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Just do whatever you would normally do with any vehicle...

cold weather gear (for YOU !)

re fuel and def - get a phone app for the truck stops (Pilot/flying J has a good one) and use their pumps for both def and fuel... little bit more costly, but you will know where they are and can plan accordingly !

assume long bed so you have the larger fuel tank - so guess about 300- 400 miles per tank...
Have been here since 1988, so have plenty of cold weather gear. Have multiple apps on phone and POI's on GPS for the stations. Don't expect to see many Pilot or Flying J's going thru Canada.

Yes, the 39 gallon tank, and getting 400 to 500 miles on a tank without the trailer.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE and to the dually club.

Seems the biggest downer of all is the EGT sensors. Some have had problems with them and when they go bad, you wind up alongside the road waiting for a tow truck for a $30 sensor.

Here's some posts about it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-failures.html

Have fun and enjoy your trip and your new 5er.

We love pictures of trucks and campers and toys and, well, just about anything.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
tcreek
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
Yes, extra fuel and oil filters and 5 gal of def. If you go to ford and buy their fill spout I know it will work on the wally world blue def 2.5 gal jugs.
Picked up the fuel and oil filters from the local dealer today, and they recommended I use the Ford Cetane Booster while on the trip to increase fuel mileage.

Does it really work, or just another additive they are trying to sell me?

Tom

Quick Reply: New 6.7 and About to Take Long Trip