6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What LED lighting is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
j.cowling
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What LED lighting is everyone using?

I bought the 2014 F-250 Lariat in January. I had plans of lifting it 6" and putting a 35" tire on it. Now I've been pulling alot and am thinking the lift and tires can wait, at least until I burn the new ones off. I had another Ford with extremely bright LED lights bolted on the bumper that I could use while backing up to trailers, but I don't remember what they were. I want to find a nice set up lights to put on so I can light up the dark. I've seen the sweet lightbars on trucks, but not sure where to get them? I do a lot of EBAY shopping, anyone know whats on there? Thanks guys. So besides lift, tires, tuners....stuff that voids my warranty...what other additions would you guys recommend? Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 PM
XXLTexan
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Recon is kinda the industry standard for led light bars. Their glass is lexan and they are always making their lights brighter (more lumens/candlepower/whatever) than the competition every generation. They make a trick 20" light and bracket for our trucks that goes under the front bumper in that void. There are imitators that are cheaper and I hear some are just as good just don't know any. So no voids and no lift or tires........You could put some cetane booster in it!

Here is a pic of some led reverse lights if you get a bumper replacement. Threw in a pic of a 2.5 inch lift with 35x12.50r18's on 18X9 wheels with oem"ish" offset/backspacing . No rubbing at full lock or flex and warranty intact. Good luck!

Last edited by XXLTexan; 03-31-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

I think you mean Rigid, recon does not make much that is worth their pricing. But Rigid is extremely overpriced for what it is, there are many great brands out there with excellent products that do the same thing...without paying for the rigid name. I personally like LED warehouse and Tough-Light's pro series lights. Extremely bright and well made. I also bought a 4 pack of 4x4 TuffLED lights off amazon for $100, they are cheap but had great reviews and i am using them under my truck for backup lights and they are BRIGHT!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
j.cowling
Freshman User
Thanks guys. I'll look into those. That 2.5" lift looks good, I love those 35" tires as well. I tow a gooseneck so I don't to go too high. Thanks guys.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You generally get what you pay for when it comes to LEDs; Recon tends to be more expensive because they actually use heat syncs (aluminum), they clearly bin their LEDs (if they didn't, there would be color shift between the individual LEDs) and they use current generation LEDs. There's so much garbage out there with no heat syncs and old LED generations that they won't last anywhere near the claimed life. Most people don't use these lights that long so they think they last and last when in reality, if you operated them a couple thousand hours, they would be half their new brightness. Most LEDs are rated for tens of thousands of hours when properly synced and driven so at 4 hours a day, the truck would be an antique by the time the LED was theoretically at end of life (LEDs never burn out). But that's for a quality LED.

The big issue with automotive LEDs is that you can't see their spec. Stick with a name you recognize. The no names may or may not have quality control, may or may not use current generation LEDs and may or may not have proper thermal management.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Jumbo131
Senior User
Xxl Texan, what brand of steps do you have? I would like something other than the 6 inche tubular running boards but something that the little kiddos can use to get in and out of the truck.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 PM
XXLTexan
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jumbo131
Xxl Texan, what brand of steps do you have? I would like something other than the 6 inche tubular running boards but something that the little kiddos can use to get in and out of the truck.
Those are my little secret. Actually they are Ranch Hand (brand) individual steps. I've always called them toad stools but they are not in their catalog or on their website last time I checked. If you call the Ranch Hand Truck equipment store in Irving Texas (former home of the Cowboys) and ask for Amanda she can order you some. They are rated to over 300 lbs each, frame mounted, outta the way best steps ever! My kids use them to pull up then step in. And they look good. Tell Amanda big Blaine sent you. I'm going to get a punchcard made up and outta get some free stuff here sooner or later with all these referrals!

Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I have four rigid duallys up front, very impressive with the output for such a small light, zero issues, but I've only had them on since last fall.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Wizness
Senior User
Rigid dually D2's on the front of my truck and rigid duallys on the back. All controlled by the upfitter switches. A little pricey but well worth it. Got mine for 100 bucks off on amazon.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM
j.cowling
Freshman User
I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Rigid, I'll have to start looking, thanks guys

Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM
j.cowling
Freshman User
ok so I'm looking on ebay right now. I see D2's, then I starting seeing other rigid duallys. NOt really sure the difference? Is the D2 a specific Rigid light that has more lumens than the basic, and the dually is just the pair? I've seen the "dually" as the double light that replaces existing fog light. You said you had rigid dually's on the back, but not the D2? Can you please help me out with this? Thank you Wizness!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a thought, y'all veterans of led lighting options should throw together a list of products and applications.

For example,

rear bumper reverse lights mounted under bumper = rigid model xxxxx

In bed lighting mounted under rails = model xxxx

Front mounted spots=
Front mounted flood=

Interior dome replacement=

And it then could be moved to the tech folder for reference. I'm going to get a '15 truck and would love to have a list of lighting options to have at the ready. I'm interested in bed lights and reverse lights, maybe interior replacements of the OEM lighting.

I haven't shopped the internet and this stuff might be too easy to warrant a reference file but who know, might be a nice thing. The FTE catalog of nifty mods.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM
pbeering
Elder User
I have standardized my fleet around Rigid. We use the Dually D2 for task lighting, the 6" for rear work lights, and the 30" combo bar for front work lights.

Yes, they are expensive, but they stand behind their products, are very responsive and have thought about a lot of little things that matter in the long run.

It should say something that their lights have a MIL Spec and that they are available on John Deere equipment.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rigid duallys on the back that you prolly want are floods

Rigid duallys on the front are driving lights

Ive got the above on mine.Throw a ton of light.I kept the stock fogs in place and mounted next to license plate in front.You really cant have them on when facing oncoming traffic,you will burn the eyes out of the drivers coming at you.Really made for dark roads where there isnt oncoming traffic.The light they throw is quite bright,really lights up the road.A nice white light.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

TuffLED 4" squares... cheap so you dont need to worry about them being under the truck. Ill save the good lights for driving, probably put some rigids or most likely baja designs replacing my fogs

also have projector LED backup lights...they are cute lol

Quick Reply: What LED lighting is everyone using?