1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lifetime LED Headlights (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was reading about these on the army.I think if or when my hid's die I'm gonna give these a try.My 55W 5000K's match my bar perfect so these shouldn't be any different.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
My halogens were aimed up because I removed my rear airbags which caused the back to come down about an inch. I never reaimed them until now. They are now too low, you're right the sweet spot is a little up.

The light output is definiately better. I used to drive down the freway and wonder in my lights were on. Now I know.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Leds never show up well in pics. My stock fog lights look brighter in pics than my previous 2x2 led cubes but the leds were so much brighter
I think it has to do with the light waves halogen emit vs leds...idk just guessing lol.

I also think they need to be a tad higher, I really think I'm going to try these i like the looks of the ourput better than my HID's.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
He told me last night he re aimed them higher and they're much better

Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4

The way this is written (one person, one time) makes me feel like it is a tale. Given that these lights produce MORE heat than a normal bulb, and even have a fan, also make me thing its not true.
Look at where the heat is created, in the back of the bulb where it is dissipated by the heat sink and the fan. I don't doubt that they iced up.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Look at where the heat is created, in the back of the bulb where it is dissipated by the heat sink and the fan. I don't doubt that they iced up.
+1... look at any LED bulb. The LED itself does not produce the heat, the driver does. In this case the driver is mounted outside of the housing.

This definitely negative byproduct of LED bulbs in automotive applications... a deal breaker for me as well.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw another thread mention these and a quick search brought me here. Still liking the improvement in light from the LED's? Anyone else get a set yet?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Trey,

how are they holding up?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

No complaints from me. They are a better big v I've never had HIDs but I'm told its comparable. I just wisg our reflector housings wernt so bad! FORD! WE WANT BETTER HEAD LIGHTS

Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contrary to the apparent popular belief - LED's DO generate heat, but far less heat than their incandescent counterparts.. The LEDs typically run off of 5vDC and you will many times find a voltage regulator as part of the assembly to knock the nominal 14v down to 5v.

You cannot create light energy from electricity without creating heat..

While I have converted many fixtures in my home to solid state lighting I have not yet done headlights. I was disappointed that my 2015 F350 did not have HID lighting. I do wonder how well our reflectors will work with the LED or replacement HID units.. One thing I don't want to do is to blind the on-coming traffic at night..

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've heard they work even better with the newer style headlights. The beam is much more focused vs just scattered everywhere with HIDs. No one is reporting that they are being flashed or anything

Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
From what I've heard they work even better with the newer style headlights. The beam is much more focused vs just scattered everywhere with HIDs. No one is reporting that they are being flashed or anything
I know I don't flash my high beams many times even if I am being blinded.
I think the only way to really tell is to have the wife or buddy coming at me with my own truck out here in the boonies.. I would just hate to drop a lot of money on a lighting solution that was potentially dangerous to others...

Glad to hear that the reports on the new style reflectors are good!

Still watching and waiting...

Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Very rarely have I ever been blinded so significantly that its dangerous. More often its a nuisance. So don't worry about being a road hazard as long as your truck doesn't have a bro lean.

The LEDs do generate heat. I don't believe this is "contrary to popular belief" but maybe I'm not popular. One of the reasons it took LEDs the better part of a decade to progress from indicator lights to intense flood lights was our inability to control the heat. We have gotten. Better so we have brighter LEDs. But if you look at any led light bar, the back is almost always finned. This isn't styling they do get VERY hot.

The lifetime LED headlights have a fan in each bulb. Don't worry. They are IP67. Don't ask me how..

Ford reflectors are terrible. But the 08-15 variants have been major improvements over our 99-07 styles. Even with my 05 lamps, they shoot pretty good.

Its worth nothing that for one reason or another there is almost no difference between high and low beam with the LEDs. Unlike the HIDs that actually move in the reflector the LEDs just then on another led (1 high and 1 low beam LED per assembly).

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 AM
kjdavis
Junior User
I'm still happy with my Lifetime LED headlight bulbs. Not once have I wished I had my HID's back again, they were horrible. Plus, the Lifetime headlights match my LED light bars in my bumper, so that's a bonus.

I will second the fact that the 05-07 reflectors suck as they are side to side reflectors, not top and bottom like most vehicles. But, even with that I like the pattern they put out better than my HID's did.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Originally Posted by kjdavis
I'm still happy with my Lifetime LED headlight bulbs. Not once have I wished I had my HID's back again, they were horrible. Plus, the Lifetime headlights match my LED light bars in my bumper, so that's a bonus.

I will second the fact that the 05-07 reflectors suck as they are side to side reflectors, not top and bottom like most vehicles. But, even with that I like the pattern they put out better than my HID's did.
These were a direct fit into the 05-07 headlights I take it?

Quick Reply: Lifetime LED Headlights (Review)